THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    POLL - Open Sights on New Build Custom Plains Game/ Western Rifle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POLL - Open Sights on New Build Custom Plains Game/ Western Rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would you have open sights installed on a new build wood stocked custom rifle built for plains game and elk hunting?

Personally I have never had a scope completely fail to where I had to rely on back up iron sights. I am always the one in our group who brings a extra backup rifle to camp. On major trips I always have a backup scope in Talley lever rings for a quick replacement.I have found open sights hang up in rifle scabbards, over hanging brush and sometimes just get in the way.

I appreciate the gunmakers art and the many open sight options and looks.

I always look at resale and some of my custom rifles are some what of a using enjoyment minor investment. I take care of my equipment but use it for its intended purpose , they are not safe queens. I do use synthetic stocked rifles for extreme weather and backpack hunts.

I do have open sights on my .416 Rigby.

I have a Heilmann Mauser 1909 Argentine 30.06 being built now along with a Simillion ( metal & barrel) Dakota 76 300 H&H. Do you consider a custom rifle incomplete without iron sights?

Question:
Would you add open sights to a new custom build elk/plains game rifle?

Choices:
Yes. Absolutely Open Sights
No. I Would Not Install Open Sights
I Would Only Install Open Sights For Future Resale Value

Posts: 670 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently built a rifle for deer and hog at the ranch I hunt in Texas. I am hunting under 30 yards most of the time. The rifle is on a Remington 700 stainless single shot action. For a stainless front sight base a Ruger Barrel band Base was bought from Midway. Williams rear peep.
Other parts are usual suspects, McMillan, Jewell 6.5x47 Lapua

M

Posts: 1227 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of hogs are in a low light time period. Open sights are fine, but if you select a peep, make sure it has a big hole.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ready Aim Shoot
posted Hide Post
Throw away the scope.One life to live.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would be a moot point if the lack of drop in stock comb would not allow you to get down on the sights. I would have open sights and stocked accordingly. Also for esthetics I prefer some drop.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
A lot of hogs are in a low light time period. Open sights are fine, but if you select a peep, make sure it has a big hole.

Yes!
I use a I believe 0.050" aperture and when it is dark in morning and evening I take it out, put in pocket, and use big hole

Posts: 1227 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I answered yes, and the reason why is that you mentioned elk. I have had occasion to hunt elk in heavy rain/snow/sleet where my scope was almost immediately useless, but having iron sights and the scope in a quick detachable mount, I was able to keep hunting. The scope was still accessible to put back on if an appropriate opportunity presented itself.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I say yes, because I think I want to transition to more irons while my eyes still allow.

I was confused by your mention of irons getting hung up, yet you’re most likely scoping it and the irons are back up. Correct?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like open sights on all my rifles.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Loud n Boomer says, things happen, best to have suspenders in case you belt breaks

Posts: 3451 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Gosh darn it’s an unpopular opinion, but I’m convinced there is nothing finer than a high end 2moa red dot for hunting under 200yds, for a multitude of reasons. Many are rather small, especially the reflex types. Trijicon and Aimpoints are also tested to extremes you will not experience in any hunting situation, and if you shall break one I’d wager the gun and the hunt is the least of your immediate concern. No irons necessary unless we are talking dangerous game, even better if you can co-witness. Aimpoint H1/H2 come to mind.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With resale in mind put the irons on. I now have a backup scope though I've never had a scope failure.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Little:
Gosh darn it’s an unpopular opinion, but I’m convinced there is nothing finer than a high end 2moa red dot for hunting under 200yds, for a multitude of reasons. Many are rather small, especially the reflex types. Trijicon and Aimpoints are also tested to extremes you will not experience in any hunting situation, and if you shall break one I’d wager the gun and the hunt is the least of your immediate concern. No irons necessary unless we are talking dangerous game, even better if you can co-witness. Aimpoint H1/H2 come to mind.

YUCK!

Posts: 3451 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Less yuck than a large objective scope, especially European varieties.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by disassembly:
Would be a moot point if the lack of drop in stock comb would not allow you to get down on the sights. I would have open sights and stocked accordingly. Also for esthetics I prefer some drop.

This is a great point. I have handled rifles that the iron sights are only for show, no way to get down on the open sights.
I too like the look of a bit of drop, but a fine line there to not get to much.

Posts: 670 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
I answered yes, and the reason why is that you mentioned elk. I have had occasion to hunt elk in heavy rain/snow/sleet where my scope was almost immediately useless, but having iron sights and the scope in a quick detachable mount, I was able to keep hunting. The scope was still accessible to put back on if an appropriate opportunity presented itself.

Yes, this has happened , but fortunately had my trusty bandanna to wipe off the lenses about every 30 seconds. It hasn’t happened to me but I could see where a scope can be rendered completely useless.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Like Loud n Boomer says, things happen, best to have suspenders in case you belt breaks

Duane,
Your answer is the same as LnB, just a little more colorful. Made me laugh.
Horses, Rocks , Weather can all end a scopes life instantly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some very experienced individuals have responded.
I have been looking at back up “express sights” . One that I keep going back to is a express rear base , with a See-Thru fiber optic insert. The ones I am interested in are made by Recknagel, sold at NECG as (Sight Insert R-205). Anyone using this system of backup open sights? If so , what are you using for your front sight? Fiber optic front bead? This looks like a semi modern take on express sights.

I am thinking just set the express sight for 100yds. And call it good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Little:
Less yuck than a large objective scope, especially European varieties.

Aaron..understood . While less yuck is sill yuck, The owner is the one who has to feel comfortable with is or her choice. Point to consider is that good old iron sights never need a battery replacement

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
This is true. But another thing to consider is some of these red dots have 40,000-50,000hrs of battery life, continuously on. Change it once a year or two for preventive measure. I’d bet a spare battery would hide well under a custom trap door grip cap as well.

But yes, to each his own. If my hunting required more than a 200yd shot, I’d need magnification. Heck, out here 75yds is a long shot.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
On my custom rifles that might be traveling with me by plane I will usually add open sights... as Mr. Wiebe aptly described it "belt and suspenders". Only had a scope fail on me once on safari, so it does happen but they are surprisedly tough most of the time...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok! How about this? I've hunted with a rifle for 62 years and for quite a variety of game. I've not used anything but a scope for hunting since about 1981. I don't see the need for irons unless it is decorative. Bring a spare sited in scope and call it good.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12861 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would get the irons, mostly for aesthetics, but I agree with with being ready for worst case situations. If you put them on, they have to be usable! If you stock the gun that the irons can’t be utilized, then no irons needed.

I do shoot all of my scoped guns with their irons at least once to make sure that they are on, but that’s pie plate at 50 shooting for me with them.

Posts: 10578 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Ok! How about this? I've hunted with a rifle for 62 years and for quite a variety of game. I've not used anything but a scope for hunting since about 1981. I don't see the need for irons unless it is decorative. Bring a spare sited in scope and call it good.

Mark

Well...you never fell off a rock and BROKEN the scope at the objective.....or on a QD set up
have some dum fark in camp loosen the QD levers..OR have a scope suddenly lock up adjustments

Seen these happen on horseback hunts..Irons saved the day!

Now the first two happened as far back as about l961
The last about 2010...I realize scopes have become more and more reliable. But....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I would get the irons, mostly for aesthetics, but I agree with with being ready for worst case situations. If you put them on, they have to be usable! If you stock the gun that the irons can’t be utilized, then no irons needed.

I do shoot all of my scoped guns with their irons at least once to make sure that they are on, but that’s pie plate at 50 shooting for me with them.

On a bolt guns, it's almost impossible to make the comb so high that 98% of hunters can't get down to the irons.. My rule of thumb is to make the irons one inch above bore CL

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not own a rifle without open sights, I grew up shooting irons, and still do..I want the options of both and I use both quality irons consistently on all my rifles, both barrel mounted or with a ghost peep...Mostly with Leupold or Talley QD..

I shoot better off hand with irons or a 2.5 to 3X scope than other glass optics up to about 100 to 150 yards...magnification over 4X is detrimental to off hand shooting, and less is better....Ive proved this to friends and family time and time again...few good off handers shoot with over powered scopes for sure, Ive seen this often, large powered scoped rifles tend to make one grab at the trigger when the magnified cross hair a drifts by as its being held by a blood pumping heart
on a nervous system thats out of control by the shooter, who is a human being thats flawed by nature.

I have trouble getting on irons with a high comb set up for scopes, gets my pinky cheek and I lose my controlled flinch! Big Grin

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote