THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Importing a custom rifle from Germany
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Importing a custom rifle from Germany
 Login/Join

posted
I have purchased a rifle from Germany. The dealer over there is recommending Griffin & Howe or British Sporting Arms to import the rifle into the USA. Does anyone have any recommendations on importing a rifle from Germany into the USA?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enquire with Reloading International in Oregon.
I know they export firearms from the USA so they may also be able to import on behalf, or if not, might direct you to a known importing agent.
Good luck

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2016 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I’ve used a company called Borderview in the past with good results.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends where you live in the US. East Coast, Midwest, West Coast, Tx, FL,?

Posts: 673 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Carl,

I would give Griffin & Howe a call, they specialize in this sort of thing. Not a big deal as I understand it but there are permits to obtain and of course import/Export taxes to be paid. They will also (All Importers) have to engrave their information on the rifle per US Law. As small as possible I was told. I am in the process of importing a new rifle from England and so far the process is going smoothly. It was supposed to leave Heathrow this weekend headed headed for G&H. I do not have all of the costs yet but I do know there are import taxes not just on the rifle but also Cases and scopes. They list some basic costs and information on their website.

JP

Formerly JPaul

Posts: 60 | Location: Central Valley, California  | Registered: 03 May 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I imported a number of firearms for a friend a number of years ago. At that time it was legal for an FFL to make a one-time import. I forget the procedure but would call your local FFL guy and have him (or you) check with the ATFE on the possibility.

I have also worked with the Griffin and Howe guys for an export.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have worked with Griffin & Howe on exports 3 or 4 times. It's not cheap, but the fee includes 2 firearms, so might as well find 2 guns you like.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used British Sporting Arms. No problems.
The only thing I did not like is the name of the importer has to be stamped on the gun. I believe this is the law.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used BSA to import a shotgun a number of years ago. They handled everything and their fees seemed reasonable. They also were kind enough to mark their importer's name under the forend, so it doesn't show when the gun is assembled.