Find
Notify
Tools

Brevex Mauser Actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Question for our resident gurus...

How did the various magnum Mauser actions of the past compare to those commercially available today?

Specifically, how did the Brevex actions hold up compared to a currently built Mayfair, GMA, or similar?

If you were building a big rifle, 416 rigby or similar, what would your preferred action be and why?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
My first question to the customer is, what is your budget because some of the custom Mauser actions being made cost as much as a good used car.
At the low price end, it would be an Enfield action; for the more well heeled, it might be the custom actions you mention.
Also, be specific in the caliber; the 416 was designed for cordite and low pressures so is much bigger than needed now; modern designs can do as much with much smaller dimensions (and higher pressures). Which will fit into any Model 70 action. Also, many early big rifles were built on opened up standard 98 Military actions; So, your question has more angles than it seems.

Posts: 17025 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a full sized magnum action which will do it all, from .458 WM to .505 Gibbs, then the BRNO 602 or CZ 550 Magnum action will satisfy your needs at a modest budget price. You won't end up with a thing of beauty, but with a safe, reliable, strong action which can be changed to an even better one with the addition of a three position safety. I have been using them since 1970 and have never been disappointed with their performance.

If you are looking for a thing of beauty to build a showcase rifle around, then by all means go to a Granite Mountain, or one of the German made Mauser clones.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .416 Mayfair Mauser for a client on my bench and that is one beautifully built bolt action but they are not giving them away either. As Tom said, decide on a price point and the kind of rifle you want and you will receive more useful comments.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I very much doubt you could find a Brevex action so the question is somewhat moot.

The Enfield can be made to look very English with a good deal of educated work. It's the obvious choice for a Rigby.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2926 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Tom said it nicely, I'll say it directly

the newer actions cost a fortune, and its mostly for aesthetics over function - the actions FUNCTION more ore less exactly the same, and fit in a niche

if you are building around a very large cartridge, the work is easier on a magnum action, including the Montana PH action.

if it's 3.65 or smaller, and .532 or smaller casehead, these can, and have, been made to work in the standard action

But all of that is just rationale -- if you want a GMA, and you understand that this will increase your costs in the entire production, including stock, and it's within your budget, BUY IT

a ford explore and a mercedes g wagon are NOMINALLY the same PURPOSE vehicle - at about a 1:10 price point

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38374 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a good friend who has decided that he has more projects in his safe than years left. Long story short, he has a few rifle actions that he asked if I would like to buy them...2 FN 30-06 commercial Mauser actions in the white and 2 Brevex magnum mausers, a 375 and a larger one that I believe is a 416.

I’m not stressed on budget. I’m at an age where money is less important that quality and getting it done right. I’m going on a safari for my 50th birthday and I need a dangerous game rifle. It’s a few years away...but some projects take a few years.

I’m not trying to build an ornate gold inlaid Maharajah rifle...but I do want a traditional English style safari rifle with the customary features, color case, likely a bit of Rigby type scroll engraving, and so on.

Thanks for the replies. I hope that clarifies it a bit. I’m just deciding whether to buy the Brevex actions or not.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
In that case, no reason not to get the Brevex; as Russ said, they are very rare.

Posts: 17025 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lockingblock:
Question for our resident gurus...

How did the various magnum Mauser actions of the past compare to those commercially available today?

Specifically, how did the Brevex actions hold up compared to a currently built Mayfair, GMA, or similar?

If you were building a big rifle, 416 rigby or similar, what would your preferred action be and why?

Champlins has a 416 Brevex built by George Hoenig. If you are looking specifically for A brevex, why not just grab one built by one of the very best builders ever?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lockingblock:
I have a good friend who has decided that he has more projects in his safe than years left. Long story short, he has a few rifle actions that he asked if I would like to buy them...2 FN 30-06 commercial Mauser actions in the white and 2 Brevex magnum mausers, a 375 and a larger one that I believe is a 416.

I’m not stressed on budget. I’m at an age where money is less important that quality and getting it done right. I’m going on a safari for my 50th birthday and I need a dangerous game rifle. It’s a few years away...but some projects take a few years.

I’m not trying to build an ornate gold inlaid Maharajah rifle...but I do want a traditional English style safari rifle with the customary features, color case, likely a bit of Rigby type scroll engraving, and so on.

Thanks for the replies. I hope that clarifies it a bit. I’m just deciding whether to buy the Brevex actions or not.

It appears that my photos of my M1917 in 416 Rigby disappeared.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...521/m/2311038791/p/1

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H&H used P14 Enfield actions for a time. Butch's is about as good as it gets. There were photos of a Burgess re-worked action on D'arcy Echols site as well. That one was also as nice as it gets.

Here is my work in progress adding square bridges to one. Rear is welded on, front has 8-40 screws. The finished product will be a .458 Lott. Lots of finishing left on this one, but it is starting to take shape.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hate to always be bringing this up...but the Brevex does not have ring clearance for single loading. I personally think this is absolutely necessary for a DGR, though some disagree.

I'm in process of building a 450 Rigby on a Vector..has the same malady, which owner wants fixed.

They can be opened up, though it is a really PIA process.

Otherwise, Brevex is a darn fine action...I have been offered one from time to time, so they are out there

Posts: 3433 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

Thank you for the input. That’s exactly the kind of info I’m looking for.

If I’m reading it right, you are saying that the action can only be magazine fed as the extractor can’t snap over the rim due to available space for it to flex outward when it is going into battery?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes

Posts: 3433 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two are available on Guns International.

https://www.gunsinternational....cfm?gun_id=101348659

Posts: 294 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A redone Enfield is hard to beat and I love that big ugly hammer safety that's always there when you need it easy to fine and flips off as opposed to a half circle of the mod. 70 type..I don't want a DG rifle wherein you drop a round in the chamber and close the bolt, Ive seen way to many hyper fumbling hunters pissisng down one leg and droping the round out of the the chamber as they squat an point the gun up...Push the round in the box and close the control feed round and its just as fast or faster and more sure..

A big Mauser action certainly makes for a class rifle IMO, but a bit on the closet queen scene it seems to me, at least that's where they seem to end up..Never seen a skint up $15,000 rifle albeit they may exist...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41752 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote