Find
Notify
Tools

Let me see that wood!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted
I thought I would start a thread where w e could all see our custom builds. Mine is a 280 Remington by Robert Schuck. Built on a Dakota 76 action with Turkish walnut, Kreiger barrel, and custom engraving by John Todd. Also includes recoil pad wrapped in pigskin. I had my initials engraved on the grip cap and had the safety housing engraved in gold. Pictures don't do this justice, but this rifle almost cost me my marriage. Let see 'em boys!!

Posts: 592 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
Another favorite of mine is a 400 Holland and Holland built on an MRC action. Robert built this one as well...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ram Rod,
Aesthetically those rifles are perfection I'm sure. In my mind it raises a question - are these rifles you will actually take hunting ? Or are they simply objects to be admired and appreciated ?
Also, do my eyes deceive me or is one LH and the other RH actioned ?
No attempt at thread hijacking here, merely wanted to ask. May I compliment you on your taste in fine firearms.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought the same. Is Ramrod a switch-hitter? :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Really nicely mated M70 style RR.

Here's a less flashy Brno 22F with perfect quarter sawn grain flow. Wood to metal fit is nearly flawless which adds to the overall appeal of the wood in my book.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
Actually I am right handed. The 280 is mine, The 400 belonged to my father who was a lefty. He was a former AR member on here. Screen name was Doubless. I lost him back in 2017 to colon cancer. Miss him dearly.

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
Custom bolt, that is a BEAUTY!! Love the dark color contrast of the stock. Goes really well with the blewing of the rifle.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Exhibition grade wood on my Simson Suhl .405 WCF Double Rifle with right hand palm swell.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Here is my Lang .450 no2 with a very nice piece of timber on it. Rifle dates from 1904. I've taken giraffe, grizzly, moose, and cape buffalo with it.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little Brno 7x57

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Some nice eye candy! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ram Rod
posted 25 November 2021 07:56
Actually I am right handed. The 280 is mine, The 400 belonged to my father who was a lefty. He was a former AR member on here. Screen name was Doubless. I lost him back in 2017 to colon cancer. Miss him dearly.

I've been on here long enough I remember posts by Doubless although we never conversed. Sad for a guy to lose his Dad, especially if the bond was close. Lost my Dad some years ago but we weren't particularly close. Retrospectively I wish it hadn't been that way but fault lies on both sides. Just the way the world turns for some I guess.

Sorry, I know that was off-topic.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Got to keep this subject going.
Here's the butt stock of the Dakota 10 I had. Called it the angel hair because of the flowing wood grain. Wish it was still in the safe. Quite a rare find with near perfect quarter sawn wood grain. Selling it was not one of my best decisions as I didn't need the money.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice wood gentlemen especially that dandy little Brno from BT8897. Is it a model 21-22?
CB

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
I never realized that I didn't answer this question. I personally, have never shot the 400 H&H, nor killed anything with it. My father never was able to take it on a hunting trip.

I will say that I successfully took a long horn spike with my 280. After that one kill, it has continued to stay locked in my safe and sighted in.
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
Ram Rod,
Aesthetically those rifles are perfection I'm sure. In my mind it raises a question - are these rifles you will actually take hunting ? Or are they simply objects to be admired and appreciated ?
No attempt at thread hijacking here, merely wanted to ask. May I compliment you on your taste in fine firearms.

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
I will agree with custom bolt on the 7x57!! I have one built on an A303 action chambered to shoot a 7mm. Not near as nice as his, but she's sentimental to me.

Here are a few pictures given to me by one of our own AR members Georgegibbs505. Custom 1877 Sharps rifles. As well as two Dakota,s he has. WOW there are some NICE guns on this thread!!!

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
That is probably some of the most beautiful wood I have ever seen on a rifle!!! Why in the world did you sell it may I ask?! Very nicely done sir!! She is BEAUTY!!

quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Got to keep this subject going.
Here's the butt stock of the Dakota 10 I had. Called it the angle hair because of the flowing wood grain. Wish it was still in the safe. Quite a rare find with near perfect quarter sawn wood grain. Selling it was not one of my best decisions as I didn't need the money.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Nice wood gentlemen especially that dandy little Brno from BT8897. Is it a model 21-22?
CB

Yes a Brno 21

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ram Rod
posted 01 December 2021 15:48

I will say that I successfully took a long horn spike with my 280.

tu2 That comment pleases me. Good to know, thanks.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Argy:

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich: Love that fiddleback in your rifle! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here’s a few of my favorites.

Dakota Model 10 257 Roberts

Clayton Nelson 7x57 on a Dakota Miller action

Dakota 76 30-06

I know it’s not a rifle, but here’s a Remington Custom Shop 31 from 1949 that’s as minty as it can be.

Posts: 290 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful shotgun! Anyone else have shotguns to show? Big Grin After all, this thread is not limited to rifles. tu2

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jmbrown:
Here’s a few of my favorites.

Dakota 76 30-06

I wondered where that rifle went. That blank was a Mannlicher stock before I cut a foot off the forend. I've got a pic of Stu holding it after he finished final assembling it. Great blank! Hard to forget some of the better blanks I've worked on.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1827 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sent you a PM James.

It is an amazing piece of wood. The whole rifle is top notch.

Posts: 290 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Ram Rod. I got into a weak moment with the Model 10. No, a stupid moment. Having to shake the rimless 7 Mauser rounds/empties from the chamber is what caused the negativity. The quality of the build was all there, even the feel. It just felt a bit long and heavy.
But, still, it would have been fine sitting in the safe with the other queens. I do miss the wood.
Nice wood gents. CB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The prettiest wood on a rifle I own is a weatherby classic mark, without the Monte Carlo comb, In the classic American style. I have never seen one for sale in the last 18 years, and though I am not a huge fan of the .240 weatherby, I’d shoot a deer at a farther distance than any rifle I own.

It came of a reservation in Montana, out a hovel of a trailer. Is was passed on to me, and i shoot it a lot.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aksalmonguy:
Some 22s I built.

https://imgur.com/a/mXSWgeC

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Some 22s I built.

https://imgur.com/a/mXSWgeC

posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
aksalmonguy
Well done stockwork. Superb choice in wood and the S&K mounts on the center rifle are a nice clean touch.

posted Hide Post
Custom bolt. Thanks for the kind words. Two years ago I started playing with wood again since graduating from Trinidad 35 years ago. Been concentrating on 22lr’s and having fun! thanks again.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
graduating from Trinidad 35 years ago

I miss Ed Shulin. My favorite instructor from TSJC.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1827 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ed was also my favorite teacher always left class with a smile on my face. I also enjoyed time fishing with Gary Kimble and his daughter and going to Harold Thompson’s house for dinner.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
pretty sure the guy that made my avitar rifle was a TSJC grad, Bobby Debaney . he's now in ohio.

http://bdshootingrange.com/

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Here is my Kolar Skeet gun

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the nicest wood I remember was on older Winchester Model 12 Trap guns. It was feather crotch walnut....most were quite spectacular.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought several of these from a gunsmith in Germany that was closing up shop. Still planning some projects. All inlet for lg ring Mauser.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote