New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Creedmore on a 1931Mexican?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This action tests out at "about 35+ RC" I say "about" because I'm using a portable tester by Pacific Transducer Corp. and it's a fine line interpretation using the graph within the scope.

So...any thoughts why NOT to use this action?

I ask because I've not had a lot of experience except with 7 x57, 257P, etc on the Mexican

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 1910 and 36 mausers in 22-250,
375/284 and 400/375 belted nitro.
None have had any headspace problems, but I do not push the loads in any of them.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
When I get actions heat treated at Blanchard, I specify a case depth of .010-.015, with a surface hardness of RC 35-40.
That is plenty hard. I do not put belted mags on them though.

Posts: 17066 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all...Extra opinions always helpful

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would just like to add that, not only does the 6.5 Creedmoor have a high max pressure, the factory ammo, especially Hornady’s, is right at the red line.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3279 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep...Recently fired Hornady 30-06y and the primers looked like they'd been installed with a trowel

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nuthin' new there. Hornady isn't afraid to pour on the smoke especially in their Superformance line.

As for the original question;

My 1936 had no lug setback shooting warmed up 7X57's. Not aware of any difference in metal hardness from the 10.
My small ring KAR98 (rumored to be soft) has no setback issues shooting factory standard velocity 6.5 Creedmoor.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only concern I would have is the firing pin diameter and fit. With small rifle primer brass available I’ve had blanking issues with Win 70’s that had .084”+ diameter pins. Had to bush the bolt face and turn down the tip. This was with a 6x47 Lapua, but the same would hold true for any SRP brass I think.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Small primer on the 6.5 Creedmore? None of the ammo I've used...Appreciate your concern about the
firing pin.

This particular action came with a brand new bolt....Have no idea how THAT was obtained, but I'll take it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Small primer on the 6.5 Creedmore? None of the ammo I've used...Appreciate your concern about the
firing pin.

This particular action came with a brand new bolt....Have no idea how THAT was obtained, but I'll take it.

Duane,

Lapua makes 6.5 Creedmoor brass with the small primer hole size. Some say/think the small primer hole gives more uniform ignition and therefore is more accurate.
I have shot some through the 6.5 Creedmoor Kurz action Mauser that you built and it still went bang. As far as the accuracy claims - I couldn't tell much difference and elected to stay with the standard Fed#210 primer for positive ignition.

Mike

Posts: 223 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...didn't know that! Thanks...Seems like a solution in search of a problem to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One will not likely find any factory Creedmoor ammo with small rifle primers. I believe the real reason for small rifle primers in these rounds is to leave more meat in the web, so as to allow more pressure while keeping primer pockets tight longer. Same for the x47 Lapua and XC. The target shooters tend to run them all pretty hard.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3279 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I didn't mean to give the impression that was all creedmoor brass, only that it is available out there and could cause a problem if used...maybe not.

I have 500 pcs of Peterson 6mm Creedmoor SRP brass, good stuff but not sure there's any advantage but necked down to 22 Creed I've been able to run some pretty impressive velocities for a coyote rifle with no pressure signs.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just bought some federal non-typical ammo . It has small primers.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Like Mike says, the Federal factory ammo uses SR primers. I did not realize it till I tried to prime some while doing Hornady brass with LR's. Huh.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2259 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote