The Accurate Reloading Forums
Satterlee 375 H&H with tangs in process, final pics added and D.C. scores a Buffalo!!

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971019521/m/5671018072

23 May 2022, 18:39
Timan
Satterlee 375 H&H with tangs in process, final pics added and D.C. scores a Buffalo!!
For this build we've gone with one of our own actions. The barrel is K&P 12 twist #5 contour.
Being more of a machinist type and less of a Blacksmith type my approach to the tange work is cnc machine them to the shapes needed and weld them on. I surface grind the width of the top tange so its nearly a press fit into the welding fixture this holds it very straight during welding. The end screw location for the hole a c-bore was held to .002 total location, thats .001 on the radius, not too shabby, happy with that. Willing to do more when required.

23 May 2022, 18:44
bwanamrm
Very nice!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.
23 May 2022, 20:21
degoins
WOW....looks great!!

DRSS
23 May 2022, 22:44
McKay
Looks great Stuart!

Mac

24 May 2022, 00:53
JPetroni
Super nice work.
Thanks for taking the time to post it.

JP

Formerly JPaul
24 May 2022, 00:58
metal
Thats insane, awesome setup. Well done.
Cross bolts as well?
24 May 2022, 01:27
df06
That’s going to be a beauty.

NRA Patron member
24 May 2022, 01:40
Timan
quote:
Originally posted by metal:
Thats insane, awesome setup. Well done.
Cross bolts as well?

Yes, it will have cross bolts.

24 May 2022, 02:32
Mike_TX
Very nice and I like that blank too!
24 May 2022, 05:04
setters5
Very nice! Tangs must be a piece of cake if you can build the action
24 May 2022, 17:33
Jim Kobe
You guys with CNC stuff really Pyzz me off

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

24 May 2022, 18:27
Woodhits
Looks great. I always appreciate the pros sharing their work to inspire the rest of us.
24 May 2022, 18:46
Timan
quote:
Originally posted by setters5:
Very nice! Tangs must be a piece of cake if you can build the action

I am the combination of every craftsman I ever worked for or knew. Making tangs can be a piece of cake with the correct skills in place and a good plan on how to go about it. All the little details make up the big picture. Like a painter all the little details in the correct order at the correct time make a painting that is pleasing to the eye. Same in rifles, get all the little details in the correct order.

As far as CNC stuff goes I highly recommend the technology, and truly believe that every small custom gun shop should have at least one programable 2 axis knee mill, Southwest industries is a great product. I've had mine 23 years, its been a great tool, wouldn't be without it. As far as programming for beginners there is a ton of support out there. The uses are next to endless, hell I even set mine up to do the dishes and the laundry.....well maybe not ..

24 May 2022, 20:08
setters5
Sorry Stuart, my comment was meant to be sarcastic, but the winking smiley face didn't show up!
24 May 2022, 20:48
custombolt
Nice! A gnats hair fit all around. The woodgrain on the right side is incredible with rare contrast. An equal quality cheek piece side woodgrain [hint] would be great.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.
24 May 2022, 20:57
BaxterB
Trying to find something I don’t like here… can’t do it…. Super nice.
25 May 2022, 00:29
Timan
quote:
Sorry Stuart, my comment was meant to be sarcastic, but the winking smiley face didn't show up!

No worries setters5.
I appreciate the interaction.

25 May 2022, 03:31
4WD
That’s some top quality metal work along with your own action!

The stock work is pretty amazing too! The lumber is pretty special also.Nice to see it all coming together.
25 May 2022, 09:59
Peter Connan
All I've got is WOW!
25 May 2022, 18:19
Jim Kobe
I am envious!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

25 May 2022, 20:53
Fal Grunt
Very nicely done!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.
26 May 2022, 05:04
MNR
Exceptional! I love the look of extended tangs.

www.mnrcustom.com
https://www.facebook.com/MNR-C...LLC-485145854894639/
26 May 2022, 06:09
Timan
Thanks for the kind words, its appreciated.

26 May 2022, 07:22
thirdbite
Congratulations on your work. Very few people have the skill to produce both an action and a stock. Even fewer have the talent to merge them into a work of art.
26 May 2022, 12:17
Timan
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
Congratulations on your work. Very few people have the skill to produce both an action and a stock. Even fewer have the talent to merge them into a work of art.

Thank you, I've had some really good teachers over the years and I'm sure there's more to learn.

26 May 2022, 17:22
clowdis
Let me say that I think that is some great machining and 'smithing. Very well done. My question is, does the thicker point of the comb lead to more uncomfortable recoil on heavy recoiling rifles? I know you can thin it up more at the cost of producing "razor edges" of wood where it joins the tang which isn't a good thing either. Hope you don't take the question the wrong way, just trying to learn something.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
26 May 2022, 18:15
butchlambert
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
I am envious!

Jim, my Uncle Bill has a virtually new and unused 3 axis Bridgeport with tooling at a give away price.
26 May 2022, 18:39
Timan
quote:
Originally posted by clowdis:
Let me say that I think that is some great machining and 'smithing. Very well done. My question is, does the thicker point of the comb lead to more uncomfortable recoil on heavy recoiling rifles? I know you can thin it up more at the cost of producing "razor edges" of wood where it joins the tang which isn't a good thing either. Hope you don't take the question the wrong way, just trying to learn something.

The width of the top tang going over the comb nose is .280 still pretty narrow.
I think the bigger we go in calibers the more pleasant/unpleasant they are to shoot. comb noses don't add up to much in the grand scheme of recoil. Comb height, cast, drop affects felt recoil a lot more.
What dimensions do you like?

27 May 2022, 23:06
clowdis
"The width of the top tang going over the comb nose is .280 still pretty narrow.
I think the bigger we go in calibers the more pleasant/unpleasant they are to shoot. comb noses don't add up to much in the grand scheme of recoil. Comb height, cast, drop affects felt recoil a lot more.
What dimensions do you like?"

For a scoped rifle I like about an inch of drop at the point of the comb and about 1 1/4 at the heel. A 1/4 offset is plenty for me. For shooting with iron sights I would use a completely different setup. Got a steel shoulder last year so I don't really care for the big recoilers anymore. Either way, a rifle that is made to fit you is one of the most enjoyable things you can have, a real pleasure to shoot.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
28 May 2022, 03:38
boom stick
Damn. Have to give it to you Stuart. Sublime elegance/functionality.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)
26 June 2022, 05:55
Timan
[/url
[url=https://ibb.co/YXkqG35]

While waiting for a rear sight to arrive from NECG I decided to run a few rounds down range to get an idea on how this one will perform on a 100yd target. 6 rounds total, 3 handloads, 3 commercial loads, put one kind of low but not too shabby I'm thinking. Next is checkering and Bluing.

26 June 2022, 18:38
setters5
Nice group, especially for two different kinds of ammo. I hope that ugly scope is just for testing.
26 June 2022, 20:21
Duane Wiebe (CG&R)
quote:
Nice group, especially for two different kinds of ammo. I hope that ugly scope is just for testing.

HAR! I too, think those Swarovski scopes are like being in an airplane cockpit...But...they are really at the top of performance heap.
26 June 2022, 20:25
setters5
Yea, I know they're great scopes, but couldn't live with one on a fine walnut and blue rifle.
26 June 2022, 20:54
custombolt
Wow. Incredible woodgrain on both sides. The oval grain on the L butt is aa nice bonus.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.
27 June 2022, 06:05
Timan
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Wow. Incredible woodgrain on both sides. The oval grain on the L butt is aa nice bonus.

That's what I like about the wood guns. Each one is different.

A Swarovski scope is always a great choice.

28 June 2022, 03:06
Scrollcutter
Top tier!

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831
28 June 2022, 05:01
Badger375
Really nice metal work! Beautiful rifle!
28 June 2022, 07:14
bt8897
beautiful
28 June 2022, 09:10
Timan
Thanks for the positive feedback, I truly appreciate it. Happy to add to the forum as well.

Kudos to all those who help to make this an interesting place to show custom work both builders and those who truly appreciate and use these hand created rifles. Without you this work, this trade does not exist as we currently know it, and for that. I'm grateful.