THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Ed Brown's 704 design again becoming available
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ed Brown's 704 design again becoming available
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For those interested, Ed Brown used to make tough, accurate hunting rifles, using his push-feed 702 action. He then developed the 704; a CRF action with the extractor in the bolthead, without the bolt-length extractor arm. He stopped making rifles shortly after its development, to concentrate on their 1911 custom pistols.

Custom rifle maker Mark Bansner and Dave Dunn, a firearms industry consultant and gunshop owner, bought the rights to manufacture the 704 design. I saw them at the DSC, and Mark had an action in hand.

Shouldn't be long now!

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, what is your impression of the action?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I remember. there was a lot of interest in the action/rifles when they were available. Others more knowledgeable will chime in on its comparative merits.

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Its these I believe:

http://www.legendaryarmsworks.com

I am curious to see how much of the right lug is removed to accommodate the hinge extractor. Nice rifles overall though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a 6.8 pound Lott? Hang on to your hat!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lou, bring one of your originals to Trop's and see how it stacks up.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
The Sako 85 basically has the same design, but it has a smaller extractor and apparently the bolt face covers even less of the cartridge rim than the 704.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3038 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the EB is more or less another HQ 700 clone.,..but IMO it as the nicest boltH of all the 700 clones.

The new EB action will be of regular 416 grade SS, when other manufactures are already using 17-4 SS.

But looking at the rifles spec sheet, and the reasonable $1600.rrp ... I'm impressed.

quote:
this rifle action was referred to by Guns & Ammo magazine as “the most significant advance in bolt action rifle technology in over 100 years.”

that quite a claim... Roll Eyes

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
FNH

savage

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Here's what FZH out of Germany did to the split lug on system 98.
This is perhaps the only improvement I've seen to a 98 that wasn't a step backward.

The beefed-up split lug we see on the FZH, is a feature that originally existed on orig. Oberndorf magnum mausers.
Hartmann & Weiss went about duplicating it on their new production magnum mauser action, which kicked off in 1980.

H&W was the first German company to create a new production authentic rendition of the orig. magnum mauser action and
Kurz small ring action.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Mr. Reed,
Does Trop still sell recently offered premium Custom Rifles such as the Weibe single shot and several Dakota's in the new store? I was in there recently and the salesperson told me that they don't sell those. Sorry to deter from the subject. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Reed:
Trax: The 704 is very "Remington 700 Like" but in reality quite different when you look closely.
It is round bodied which is easier to bed but that is about where the similarity stops.

Apart from having a rem700 type round bodied action & also a Rem type recoil plate sandwiched
between barrel and action,....
Is new LAW704 also compatible with the wide variety of Rem700 triggers on the market,
or is its trigger system completely different/non compatible?

The old EB 704 Damara and Denali, came with a Rem700 compatible Jewell, Yes?
...and in Remington action lengths - with Rem700 action screw spacings both top and bottom, Yes?

So in what way(s) does the New 704 differ from the old 704 in design & function?
What I see different is that rear bridge profile now copies the front, where as the old 704 simply duplicated the 700.
So the new 704 looks very much like a Nesika or Borden.

I get the impression there are lot more rem700 clone similarities passing over from the old 704 into the new LAW704,
than just the round-body for easy bedding feature, that you mention.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Well, you guys made me go pull out the only original magnum Mauser in my safe. It was made in the early 1930's I believe. The split lug looks like the one on the right in the photos above. No sign it was ever "beefier".

Maybe I shouldn't shoot it any more...might be dangerous. Smiler

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Well, you guys made me go pull out the only original magnum Mauser in my safe. It was made in the early 1930's I believe. The split lug looks like the one on the right in the photos above. No sign it was ever "beefier".

Maybe I shouldn't shoot it any more...might be dangerous. Smiler

Firstly:

- not all OBerndorf magnum mausers were made with the beefier split-lug feature,
Its a variation in manufacturing by mauser, just like it varied other features on the magnum action over the yrs.
ie;
- round top ,- single sqr bridge, - double sqrbridge,
- solid left wall, - slotted left wall,
- full dia. front ring, - stepped dia. front ring.

there were numerous variations of magnum 98 action produced by mauser with differing combinations of the above features.

Secondly:

The beefed lug feature was manufactured not primarily for increased strength, but primarily to better accommodate the large
case head dia. (.635") of the 505 Gibbs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The importer for FZH advises me that FZH makes the H&W actions.

Some yrs ago I discussed the issue (of other people claiming to manufacture 98 actions for H&W),
with Ralf Martini at ACGG, he just shook his head in astoundment at such claims, since he & Martin Hagn
have close relationship with H&W and have been at the H&W machine shop when the CNC is making their in-house M98s.

Ill take Ralf Martinis word for it, over that of the FZH importer you spoke to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metal:
with the FZH lug set up, seems to me that it would compromise the C-ring somewhat.

Modern manufacturer magnum mausers like the H&W made from modern Cr-moly steel,
don't have a worrisome strength issue because of the beefed-up lug/modified C-ring.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

FZH actions are made from their C35 designatioin../similiar to our 1030/1035

C35 is a high quality structural carbon steel - and as long as the appropriate hardening process/spec. is used,
I would not be concerned about the strength of the action due to the modified C-ring that accommodates the beefed up lug feature.
But for those overly concerned, they can instead choose to opt for a Cro-moly H&W, or an M98 with uncompromised c-ring.

In any case, A number of the presitgeous gun making firm including H&H, use the FZH, as does Theo Jung of Germany
and Ralf Martini in Canada.>> Ralf lists H&W, FZH, GMA,.. as upgrade options when ordering a rifle build.

The commercial Brevex magnum mauser action from the 1950s, does NOT have a traditional C-ring collar feature,
as it is broached on both sides.(H-ring)
This has not stopped numerous high level respected rifle shops from utilizing it for builds up to .505

A nice fairly plainjane Westley-Richards/H&W based .505 ... tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you've got it all well thought out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, Mark didn't let it out of his mitts....you'd think he was holding the Dead Sea Scrolls :-)

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Hi Paul,

Nice to see you offering the Hi Tech stocks as standard. This is the stock I'm using for my custom 7mm SAUM build. IMHO one of the nicest lightweight synthetic stocks on the market.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not my intention to diminish the 704, sometimes important improvements go unnoticed. Here's what FZH out of Germany did to the split lug on system 98. This is perhaps the only improvement I've seen to a 98 that wasn't a step backward.

Doesn't that change necessitate a large arcing clearance cut out in the much heralded Mauser C ring?