New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odd Arisaka Sporter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I saw the most interesting Arisaka at the gun show this weekend. At first, I thought it was a small ring Mauser 98. Then I picked it up, and the front ring has a Mum on it. Hmmm. The bottom metal is also standard issue Arisaka.

Here is where it got interesting. The bolt has a Mauser 98 shroud, safety and cocking piece. The rear bridge is also Mauser 98 configured. I pulled the bolt, and the front locking lugs are all Arisaka.

It looks like someone cut an Arisaka in half and grafted the back half of a Mauser onto it. Whomever did the work was good. Very clean metal work, good wood to metal fit, and nice walnut. It was chambered in 30-06.

Anyone ever see this before? I wish I would have taken photos.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Haven't done that to an Arisaka but have grafted pieces of different actions and or bolts to make what was needed for a build.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And you didn't buy it ?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Did it look like this, but with a Mauser type shroud?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could it perhaps had been a Mukden Mauser?

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=31245

Posts: 160 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craigster, I tried, but the guy wouldn't deal. It was a well done rifle, but not worth his asking price, at least not to me.

When I pulled the bolt, the front lugs were what I expect on an Arisaka with the front portion being rounded off. The 'smith had cleaned up the bottom metal, but it had the trigger guard release for the floorplate with no front hinge.

Austin, I don't think your photo came through, or at least I can't see it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at photos of a TYPE 30 or TYPE 35 Arisaka hook safety rifle.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah. Different computer and the photos show.

Austin Hunter, sort of. The front ring and front half of the bolt are just like that with the mum. The gas port was filled, and the wording was cleaned off.

The back half was more or less a Mauser 98. Complete shroud with flag safety and the rear bridge was more Mauser-like than Arisaka-like. It had a Lyman peep on it. I really should have taken pictures.

If it is a half and half build, someone put a lot of effort into it and as I said they were talented. I'm not sure why. It would be neat to find out what the story was.

The seller got it from and estate, and had little information on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SR, the front ring, at least, was from a type 99. I have seen a few Arisaka's over the years, but this one is just different.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
All I know is I'm glad our boys had the Garands!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote