New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 71 stock work
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who would you recommend to replace the butt stock and forearm on a Winchester 71? The current stock has a few extra holes in it from the previous owner adding a Supergrade style sling eyes on the butt and forend plus some pinholes from tacks on the butt. My other option is to have Ahlmans repair the holes or go with a stock from Treebone or someone similar.

Posts: 759 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the perfect candidate for a Turnbull restoration.

Posts: 290 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am waiting to hear back from them already!

Posts: 759 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Turnbull would be the best and the most expensive..Just depends on what you intend to use the rifle for and the size of your pocket book..A factory stly butt stock simi finished would be an option. Ive done a number of them over the years and so could anyone I suspect..

I would shoot the gun before I did anything to it, what if its a dud for accuracy?? and many 71s don't shoot worth a flip..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have spoken to a couple of people. I may get a Treebone or similar and try it myself. One stock maker is at about a 2 year back log and it would start at $3000. A couple others start at $1000 and go up depending on wood chosen. I wonder if a Browning deluxe model stock would fit without too much trouble? It shoots extremely well with 200 gr factory ammo. I have a receiver sight on it and I was getting 2 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards so I am very happy. Thought I would need to add a pad but recoil is not too bad. I am trying to stop buying guns and making the ones I have better. It is not working that well though. I would love to have John Powers turn it into a takedown but that would be expensive and it is not really needed and I don’t want to mess up the accuracy. He is going to do some metal work on it when he is done with my Ruger Bisley so I have a little time to decide what to do with the stock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
$3000 is a real good for a totally custom set of stocks checkered and with real nice quality wood.

Finishing a simi inlet shouldn't run more than $500 to $600 without checkering. and Id recommend a paint thin layer of glass in the inletting. Thats with you furnishing the wood of what quality you prefer..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are considering a restock job whose cost is more than the rifle is worth. Current prices on 71s in excellent condition seems to be around 2500. If it's new in original box, maybe 4000.
I had a shooter with the stock cut an a pad installed. Found a stockmaker an got an agreement that he would match the fore end and duplicate the original butt stock including French Finish. When I got it back I was appalled at the job. The butt stock was 100 thou above the metal around the receiver. When I complained he told me that's the way Winchester made them. Needless, I had to argue with him relentlessly till he agreed to rework it, and even then he never did the finish correctly. Be cautious about who you use!

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the rifle at a great price and it shoots well. I know it will end up costing more than a NIB Deluxe when I am done. I have recently changed from quantity to quality in my choices. A semi-fancy walnut with checkering would run about $4000 and I know would look great but more than I want to spend.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If any real expense is involved do both the butt stock and forend with matching color and grain from a full size blank. Most factory two piece for a 71 are pretty plane and easy to match a butt stock and inletting the butt is much easier..so take your pick..A fully custom stocked 71 will at least match the cost of the stock cost..With good wood and good work you would end up with a $3000 gun at least, depending on who did the work..would be my estimate.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120