Find
Notify
Tools

Robert L. Mason Stockmaker
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know about his work?

Ran across a CZ BRNO VZ 24 chambered in 243 Win. with "Robert L. Mason Stockmaker" on the barrel. It's stocked in a beautiful piece of walnut. The bolt shroud is color case hardened. Wood to metal fit seemed good. Action is drilled and tapped.

I don't know much about the VZ 24 actions other than some use them for custom builds. Are there any obvious issues with these actions that I should be aware of before moving forward?

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up this 30-06 FN Mauser with the same name three years ago. Very nice stock.

Jim

Posts: 544 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have one in 458 Lott with metal work by Dennis Olson and stock by Jim Kobe.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, my rifle was stocked by "Robert L. Mason Stockmaker". So, there are at least two rifles stocked by him. I could not find any info three years ago. Hopefully cjfoster has better luck.

Jim

Posts: 544 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jgrabow6493:
Butch, my rifle was stocked by "Robert L. Mason Stockmaker". So, there are at least two rifles stocked by him. I could not find any info three years ago. Hopefully cjfoster has better luck.

Only pointing out that a big bore can be done on a VZ24.
You have a beautiful rifle.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guy at the shop told me that Robert Mason was a retired logger in Idaho. I don't remember the town that he lives in. He also didn't know who did the metal work. Also, had one more of Mason's rifles in 270. I think the action on it was a Mauser 98.

Rock Island auctioned of two of his rifles 4 years ago. Both looked great.

I will go look at this rifle again this week and then make my decision.

Both of the rifles that you have posted are beautiful!

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the 30-06 from Rock Island Auction August 2014.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Do you know who made the barrel on yours and how does it shoot?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this him?

High school sweethearts Bob and Laura Mason of Weippe were married on June 24, 1961 in Cloverdale, CA. The couple moved to Pierce in 1965 where they resided until 1996 when they moved to their rural Weippe home.

Bob worked for Potlatch Corp. 31 years at the Jaype plywood plant near Pierce in mid-management. Laura worked for First Security Bank 28 years, the last 12 years as manager of the Pierce branch.

Both enjoy gardening. Bob plants the vegetable garden, and Laura enjoys flower gardening. Both are active in the community. Bob has served as a member of the Clearwater Valley Hospital Foundation Board; Laura has served on the J. Howard Bradbury Logging Museum board and as trustee on the Clearwater County Free Library District board.

Bob is a well-known custom gunstock maker, and has a home-based business which keeps him busy in his retirement years. He also loves to hunt and fish, and enjoys Idaho’s great outdoors. Laura enjoys reading, baking, and being active in her Beta Sigma Phi chapter. Both enjoy spending time with friends and family.

The couple has two grown children and one granddaughter. They plan to celebrate their 50 years together with a family dinner, and have planned a trip for later in the summer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That probably is. I do think that Weippe is the name of the town the gun shop said he lived in.

Thanks for posting that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't found a load that shoots.

There is a 'P' on top of the chamber, '30-06' and 'Robert L. Mason - Stockmaker' on the barrel. No other markings.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Thanks for the information. Hopefully you will find a load for that rifle.

With the information that Butch posted, I found a phone number and will call in the morning and see if it's Robert Mason and what information he can give about who did the metal work and what brand the barrels are.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just spoke to Bob Mason. He is "Robert L. Mason Stockmaker".

Told me that he normally uses Shilen or Douglas barrels and a colleague of his does the metal work.

Hopefully this information will help people.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like there were 3 of his rifles in that auction. I got lots 250 & 256 which were a 6mm Imp and 30-06 stocked by him, Both are nice rifles that handle well. Thanks for the information on him. I looked for some back then and the most I came up with was he was from Idaho.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thaine,

How well do your's shoot?

I went back to the gun shop this morning to look at this rifle again. The only issue I saw with it is that blueing salts have leached onto the face of the barrel. The shop owner said he's had it for 2 years and said he would run from it. That was discouraging to me. I called a gunsmith back home that I've used before and he told me it's not an issue at all. Said he would take the barrel off and clean it up for $60.

I plan on going back and see if we can take the action out of the stock and see if there's any leaching under the action. I hope not. I did a search here and the blueing salts can mess up the finish of the stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a few cellphone pictures of the rifle. It is the lower one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CJ,

To be honest, I have not shot either of mine yet. When I got them, there were minor issues with light rust on the bolts, rings and ejector boxes. I planned to have some more case coloring done on another set of Buehler rings and have the bolts jeweled to clean up everything and haven't gotten around to it. The stocks and rest of the guns are fine, just some minor cosmetic issues to bring them up to top condition. I just got a set of 6mm Imp dies last month and was planning on turning my attention to them shortly. We only have a week long season here if you draw and I have turned to my main go to guns each year, Ruger #1s in 300 Win. Mag. Guess I need to get my rear in gear and finish them out and enjoy them.

Thaine

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another Mason rifle that is headed my way. Auction house link and photo.

25-06

Thaine

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle!

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Now these are what rifle stocks should look like: pieces of hand worked art. I never could understand a "custom" shop rifle that has a plastic stock screwed to CNC-made metal. It's nice to see there are true gunsmiths out there.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote