New
Find
Notify
Tools

A nice pair of rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Awhile back I posted a couple photos of my latest (and probably last) custom rifle. It was crafted from a pre-64 Model 70 action, a Danny Pedersen cut rifled barrel, and a Gary Goudy stock. The blank for the stock I bought from Jim Bisio a few years back. I had no intention of buying a blank, let alone the most expensive one I've ever bought, but it was a similar blank to one I got from Dietrich Apel of New England Custom Guns fifteen or so years earlier. I thought the pair would make into a nice set. Gary stocked the Mauser with the NECG blank about 8 years ago, and the Bisio blank stocked rifle I took deliver on a month or so ago. I thought you guys might enjoy seeing the pair together. Here they are.

TT

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't word the note above very well. Both rifles are stocked by Gary Goudy and use Danny Pedersen barrels. The top (latest) rifle is a .300 Win Mag and the bottom Mauser is a .30-06

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done!

Posts: 10135 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the work! I also like that the stocks do not appear to be colored or stained in any fashion. I like the natural beauty of the wood.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pair Tom. I would be proud to own them.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Very nice pair... I like 'em!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
They're beautiful.

Posts: 7478 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A beautiful pair of rifles. I am consumed with jealous envy!

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous pair of rifles Tom. Congratulations!

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
nice toenail clipper under the coat too.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That looks like California english walnut.I think nothing looks better on a medium caliber, scoped rifle.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Nice Pair! Now tell me about the butchering hatchet with a hook.

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Good looking rifles!

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Both blanks are English walnut with no added stain or color to the finish.

The toenail clipper Phil refers to is for RVN vets that spent a lot of time wading in the delta and growing extra strong toenails as a result. It's called the Bobcat and is from Knives of Alaska. It's a very handy tool to have in the daypack.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Very nice, in great taste. A photo or two of the other side would be highly appreciated by all of us wood addicts. Both are great. But, that Model 70 stock is approaching phenomenal status.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have an exquisite taste in rifles. Kudos.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tsquare2:
Guys,

Both blanks are English walnut with no added stain or color to the finish.

The toenail clipper Phil refers to is for RVN vets that spent a lot of time wading in the delta and growing extra strong toenails as a result. It's called the Bobcat and is from Knives of Alaska. It's a very handy tool to have in the daypack.

As one of those RVN vets, I re-ground the virtually useless "gut hook" on my KOA Bobcat hatchet into a non-sharp hook for removing dutch ovens from a campfire. Like most KOA tools it works pretty well.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Very nice, in great taste. A photo or two of the other side would be highly appreciated by all of us wood addicts. Both are great. But, that Model 70 stock is approaching phenomenal status.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm pretty pleased with the rifles. I apologize for not having time to do a proper setup for a photo. I think this "quickie" will show what you'd like to see.

Phil, I'm delighted to hear that you found a good use for the gut hook. I've been using mine to pull a few nails.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pair of rifles there. Congrats!

Posts: 113 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 23 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Well done photos and both sides almost match grain perfectly.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm pretty pleased with the rifles. I apologize for not having time to do a proper setup for a photo. I think this "quickie" will show what you'd like to see.

[/QUOTE]

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
about as pretty wood as I've seen.

Too fine to take hunting though, just think
how long you'd sit n cry if they got banged up!

Thanks for sharing,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are good looking rifles.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Worth a bump up to 2020.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Yep... haven't seen that nice a pair since Raquel Welch starred in One Million Years, B.C.

Am I dating myself?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning. I’d be afraid to take them out of the house.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Yep... haven't seen that nice a pair since Raquel Welch starred in One Million Years, B.C.

Am I dating myself?

I'd rate them higher. They're definitely in the Anita Ekberg class.

Now who's dated...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Worth a bump up to 2020.

And for a second I thought Tom was posting again. Bummer.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote