New
Find
Notify
Tools

2020 Custom Gunmaking Seminars
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm beginning to organize Custom Gunmaking Seminars for 2020. These are held in my workshop in Montana. Metal Finishing and Rust Bluing will be offered the last week in June, 5 days, $1650, max 4 students. For beginning, intermediate and engravers.

Stock Making will be offered the first week in September, 5 days $1650, max 4 students. For intermediate and advanced, shaping from the blank or your special project.

Please email to: sdh@finegunmaking.com for more info.

I already have one returning student committed for each.
Many thanks for your attention. SDH

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Man, do I wish you where on the east coast.

Very nice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the years There have been guys from CT, FL, RI, MD, VA and at least two from PA that have attended the Seminars. Some fly, some drive.

Last year professional gunsmith Zac Buck drove out from PA with a friend who was bow hunting pronghorn and John drove out from VA for his second year. These fellows raised their skills to a new level of competence and had a great adventure/vacation at the same time.

These guys came from CT, KS, NYC, MN. Half flew out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having taken SDH's stock making from a blank class, the opportunity to spend a week and learn from one of the best doesn't present itself very often. I constantly go over and reread the material SDH taught in class. I'm glad I took advantage of the class. Not a great picture but the stock was shaped mostly with hand tools and a lot of guidance from Mr. Hughes.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jkinpa:
Man, do I wish you where on the east coast.

Very nice.

Airplanes fly from both coasts.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words Jim.
You were the student I mentioned coming from FL. Jim shipped his tools and project ahead, flew from Florida and I shipped both back to him later.
He did a great job on his M-70 and will have a self-built custom rifle to cherish forever.
I believe this is a pic of Jim's stock in process.

2015 Stockmaking Group Jim holding a Jerry Fisher Custom Rifle. This group included students from Miami, San Diego, Alberta and the "local guy" from Wyoming!

I have had a number of student that found the Seminars via this site and just had a professional gunmaker who attended Stockmaking last year sign up to return for the Metal Prep. class this year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Information has been sent to all that contacted me, THANKS;
SDH: 406-222-9377 ~~~ sdh@montana.net

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll testify that the class is so good that even acouple of guys from alaska have traveled down to take it.

Posts: 59 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Robert!
...and two very fine custom rifles were the result. A retro style Springfield and a custom M-70. These Alaska guys are not daunted by a bit of travel to get something that they want.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've signed up for Steven's metal polishing and rust bluing class this coming June. I attended his stockmaking class last September and am sure glad I did.
I build custom rifles full-time for a living ( I'm mainly a metal man) so you may ask "why would I want or need to take classes in metal polishing and bluing"? I look at it this way; the opportunity to learn from our peers in this industry is very rare indeed. A lot of us end up taking a lifetime of experience to the grave with us, without ever passing it on, and what a shame that is. Here is a chance to learn from one of the best Gunmakers there is and I'm looking forward to it. Also, it doesn't get any better than June in Livingston Montana,

Posts: 1214 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bitterroot:
I've signed up for Steven's metal polishing and rust bluing class this coming June. I attended his stockmaking class last September and am sure glad I did.
I build custom rifles full-time for a living ( I'm mainly a metal man) so you may ask "why would I want or need to take classes in metal polishing and bluing"? I look at it this way; the opportunity to learn from our peers in this industry is very rare indeed. A lot of us end up taking a lifetime of experience to the grave with us, without ever passing it on, and what a shame that is. Here is a chance to learn from one of the best Gunmakers there is and I'm looking forward to it. Also, it doesn't get any better than June in Livingston Montana,

Yup. Just the other day I was trying to impress upon my daughter that there is no end to learning, that learning a similar thing (be it math or gunmaking) from multiple people can open up previously locked doors, and that if anyone tells you they don’t have more to learn, they are in fact the fool they are trying to convince you they are not.

Enjoy the class and share some pics!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bitterroot:

Thanks Wayne, your experience helps the seminar run smoothly and your expertise and advance projects serve as learning tool for the other guys in the group. (Wayne gave us a demo on installing cross bolts last summer.) I welcome you back and, as always I'm sure I'll be learning from you. That cross pollination adds another level of depth to the experience. I have three fellows signed up for the Metal Finishing all return students. It will be a great group no doubt!
Only one more bench open for one of you that is one the fence about attending!
There are currently two benches open for Stockmaking, (Sept. 7-11, 2020) but there is one fellow sitting on the fence who may sign up shortly??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We changed the date for the Metal Finishing Seminar to accommodate two students; June 15-19, 2020. Get ahold of me ASAP. We will be doing express and slow rust bluing, advanced polishing techniques, reshaping and restoring by hand filing, polishing with stones, grit paper (cloth) polishing nitre bluing and will discuss rust browning, Damascus browning, proper metal prep and post techniques for Color Case Hardening. As a bonus we will examine the longevity of all these finishes and techniques using examples of my own custom guns after 20-30 year of usage.
My custom Fox after 30+ years of hunting and shooting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Filing up Colt SaA for restoration.
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

[IMG:left]https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v435/SDH/2/Colt%20SAA%20frame-(3).jpg[/IMG]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We changed to dates of the Metal Finishing Seminar to June 15-19,2020 if that is more convenient for anyone? Still one bench open, let me know~~
Still two open Benches for Stockmaking Sept, 7-11, 2020~~

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm still planning on having these Seminars, time will tell how the pandemic allows or otherwise.
I'm testing a new image hosting site,so here are some more pics from past events!
HAPPY CAMPERS!

INSTALLING SKELETON GRIP CAP