THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Rifle By the late Larry Brace ACGG Founding Member
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle By the late Larry Brace ACGG Founding Member
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Purchased this rifle today. It was built for his son Brian and is chambered in the classic 7x57 cartridge. Can't wait to take it hunting.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk about fiddleback!

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Hope you get to enjoy it for a long, long time.

KJK

Posts: 678 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It look like a M-70? What action? Stock is probably Bastone, with all that fiddleback?

Larry was very skilled at both metalsmithing and stockmaking. He taught High School Shop in Eugene, OR having a full career. He also worked close to fulltime in the afternoons and evenings building custom rifles. Larry was very interested in learning and followed current trends even if he didn't always use them.

He was extremely skilled at checkering, never used a checkering cradle but rested the stocks on bath towels on a high bench. He checkered standing up.
I knew Larry and his sweet wife Joanne very well when I lived in Eugene in the 80's and 90's. I learned a lot from Larry specifically about stockmaking and checkering. He was a friendly, upbeat and generous man.

He and Joanne made their first trip to Africa during that time and hunted Cape Buffalo. After that he lived for the next trip to hunt buff that he did several more times. Larry and Jo were about inseparable and deeply devoted to one another.

I sure learned an awful lot from Larry Brace and have the highest respect for him and his work.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
It look like a M-70? What action? Stock is probably Bastone, with all that fiddleback?

Larry was very skilled at both metalsmithing and stockmaking. He taught High School Shop in Eugene, OR having a full career. He also worked close to fulltime in the afternoons and evenings building custom rifles. Larry was very interested in learning and followed current trends even if he didn't always use them.

He was extremely skilled at checkering, never used a checkering cradle but rested the stocks on bath towels on a high bench. He checkered standing up.
I knew Larry and his sweet wife Joanne very well when I lived in Eugene in the 80's and 90's. I learned a lot from Larry specifically about stockmaking and checkering. He was a friendly, upbeat and generous man.

He and Joanne made their first trip to Africa during that time and hunted Cape Buffalo. After that he lived for the next trip to hunt buff that he did several more times. Larry and Jo were about inseparable and deeply devoted to one another.

I sure learned an awful lot from Larry Brace and have the highest respect for him and his work.

It's built on a Mauser action, but the external bolt release was removed. To release the bolt, one opens the action and pushes the cartridge ejector to the side to release the bolt. Very elegant in my opinion. Here's a picture of the proof mark which I haven't identified as yet:

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Early Husqvarna action.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure it’s a Husqvarna 1600 series action! Husqvarna made this action in house as a follow up model on the 640 rifles witch was a true m-98 (action not made by Husqvarna). The 1600 series was a small ring modified m-98 with hinged floor plate like in the picture, both steel and aluminium floorplates were made, the one in this tread have a steel model.

The long extractor looks like a m-98 but lacks the function that pulls the extractor harder when the case is stuck, just like the m-96 are designed. Replacement extractors are non existing now but m-96 extractors can be modified to fit!

Triggers where notoriously bad and had a integrated side safety, hard to replace with a useable trigger…… Some models did have a modern style trigger that’s really good! The rifles exported to US where labeled “Tradewind” for some time, these rifles where fitted with the modern style trigger and here in Sweden we call these triggers “Tradewind triggers”.

The action and bolt are made out of high grade Swedish steel and are hardened to the point it’s close to impossible to do any easy machining on the action or bolt!

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry was such a nice guy to work with! I never met him in person but had him do work over the years and was really happy with things.

By the way, how nice it's a 7X57 enjoy!

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 335 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, what a beautiful American classic! I love it.
Congratulations on the fine purchase!

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle, especially that stock!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is what a hunting rifle should be!

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote