Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN Browning actions
 Login/Join

posted
Being relatively new to the forum I frequently see many postings of the use of Mauser and Model 70 actions in the building of custom rifles. Have any of you used the FN Browning action in the construction of custom rifles?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Many of them. They are made by FN; Browning never made anything; they just use the name.
If you have any FN action, it will be good, no matter whose name is on it; FN, Browning, Sears, Husqvarna.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many Brownings had a rather odd bolt release/stop...not exactly contributing to custom look..And without MAJOR welding, can't be changed out. Oher than that. good action.

Only Mausers I personally saw set back were FN's with a Rockwell 24...Might be a good idea to have it checked if you plan using real hi pressure cartridge

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never understood that bolt release. Talk about a solution to a non existent problem.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Won’t that oddball release allow levers for QD rings to go on the left side of the action vs the right? Will it give Enough clearance?

I can’t stand the levers on the right side.

posted Hide Post
The bolt release on the browning action is not as obtrusive as the regular 98 Mauser. It is easily removed for cleaning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Chambers:
The bolt release on the browning action is not as obtrusive as the regular 98 Mauser. It is easily removed for cleaning.

How do you remove the rivet?

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Duane to remove the bolt stop on mine you have to lift up the forward end of the spring and turn the bolt stop 90 degrees

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My point is that you have to leave the spring in place (because of the rivet)
The rivet CAN be removed and and drill and tap for a screw...The bolt stop itself is still free to wobble around..No..It's a crappy system designed to save production costs.

If you like it..go for it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The truth is, the original Mauser bolt stop/ejector was perfect and no improvement was possible.
I used a Mauser 98 bolt stop on my Model 54 Winchester. I like the way it looks and the way it works.
I also saw an FN action which had set back. Some of them are soft. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not a rivet, it is a rotary dovetail, exactly like on the bottom of the forward ring of the std. Redfield & Leupold scope mounts.

Lift the bottom leg of the split spring above the ejector, rotate it DOWN 90', and lift the spring free. Then the bolt stop will lift out, as well.

I realize that it is not as Paul Mauser designed it, but personally, I like it. As Nathan said, it is unobtrusive. And it is lightweight and easy to use. It does not cushion the bolt a bit on withdrawal, like the original does. And it is probably not as rugged. But it does work.

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
The truth is, the original Mauser bolt stop/ejector was perfect and no improvement was possible.
I used a Mauser 98 bolt stop on my Model 54 Winchester. I like the way it looks and the way it works.
I also saw an FN action which had set back. Some of them are soft. Regards, Bill.

Has anybody seen a Browning FN action that is soft? I have a couple of them, just wondering...

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
If I remember right, some of the Fns were brought in soft as actions only. The ones that were imported as full rifles were properly hardened. But I am probably mistaken. I do know my Husky 640 FN is quite hard.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Mauser bolt stops do not cushion the bolt; they cushion the ejector. Only one ones with the elongated ejector hole.
It is a function of ejector design, not the bolt stop.
I've got several FN actions here; none are soft.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redoak8:
It is not a rivet, it is a rotary dovetail, exactly like on the bottom of the forward ring of the std. Redfield & Leupold scope mounts.

Lift the bottom leg of the split spring above the ejector, rotate it up 90', and lift the spring free. Then the bolt stop will lift out, as well.

I realize that it is not as Paul Mauser designed it, but personally, I like it. As Nathan said, it is unobtrusive. And it is lightweight and easy to use. It does not cushion the bolt a bit on withdrawal, like the original does. And it is probably not as rugged. But it does work.

I'm sure you're right..haven't seen one in perhaps 40 yrs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd,

Yep, you are right.

I stand corrected. I am used to it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I much prefer the 98 Mauser of certain models to the FN..Ive seen enough FNs develop headspace with belted cases such as the 300 Wby..I have no problem with the FN on 30-06 size cases, even the 9.3x62. come to think of it. Just my two bits. Roy Weatherby agreed with me on this btw..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Being relatively new to the forum I frequently see many postings of the use of Mauser and Model 70 actions in the building of custom rifles. Have any of you used the FN Browning action in the construction of custom rifles?

I have been thinking about making a similar post, thank you for doing so!

I have been interested in hearing feed back as I really like these actions.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Herters also had a German made Mauser action that has a similar bolt release. The primary difference is that the Browning is dovetailed in like a Redfield ring, but the Herters has a screw in the bolt stop.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
as much as I admire mausers, I've never thought the bolt release/stop was a thing of beauty: that big block on steel setting along side the receiver: as functional as it is, I suspect its a case of love is blind when it comes to mauser guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nathan Chambers:

The Herter's rifle action I believe was not made in Germany, but was a Zastava intermediate action based on the 1924 FN. I think it was the early J9 XK3 model.
Heym used the same action on a rifle they assembled in Germany that was sold in the US by Montgomery Ward (model 720) and maybe others, altho that rifle used the standard Mauser bolt release.

posted Hide Post
The action that I have is marked made in Germany. Most of the Herters Mauser actions were Yugoslovanian.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the barrel or action may be marked made in Germany, but actually they were only assembled in Germany from Zastava sourced actions as Zastava was the only one making an intermediate action at that time. Is yours an intermediate action? Does it have the lever to remove the floorplate?

posted Hide Post
The action is stamped made in Germany. The floor plate has an inside the trigger guard release. The action is an intermediate. It is not Yugoslav. By the way the action is in the DeHass book. I have only seen three of the actions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reckon I'm wrong - never say anything for certain with Herter's. Interesting that DeHaas describes it having a detachable floorplate rather than hinged floorplate.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Nathan,
this might help in ID'ing your action
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=971105007#971105007

I might be confused on a twist or turn in this convo, but FN mauser actions where never made in Germany - only Belgium

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nathan,

I have not built one yet, but there is a photo of one in .375 by Holland & Holland in Christopher Austyn's book MODERN SPORTING GUNS, on page 54.

And I believe that Tom Turpin's retired pet .270, an early custom by David Miller, was on one, as well.