New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Twisted” octagon barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since we have barrels with twisted flutes would it be possible to make a “twisted” octagonal barrel? Might end up ugly as hell and I am sure the matching would be a pain and therefore very expensive but could it be done? Has it been done? Not planning on building one but just like to see what is possible

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pacecars:
Since we have barrels with twisted flutes would it be possible to make a “twisted” octagonal barrel? Might end up ugly as hell and I am sure the matching would be a pain and therefore very expensive but could it be done? Has it been done? Not planning on building one but just like to see what is possible

The same helical milling that produces "twisted" flutes could produce what you're suggesting, if you started with a blank that's thick enough.

And yes, it would be ugly as hell.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see someone try it, as I’ve never heard of one. When I try to visualize it in my mind it seems geometrically impossible.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All ideas are not necessarily good ideas...

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mean like this: http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/boltfluting0914_004.htm

I've seen bolts done with flats as well.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
His 6 sided “wrought iron” barrel is close to what I was thinking. Doesn’t look as bad as I thought it would

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pacecars:
His 6 sided “wrought iron” barrel is close to what I was thinking. Doesn’t look as bad as I thought it would

Those are actually shallow flutes rather than flats, but it's close enough to give you the idea. Same process, different cutter shape. Flutes serve some (limited) purpose, flats are primarily a matter of style, helical is a gaudy fad. And an expensive one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, no.......

Please don't tell me you're contemplating this for your Brno project! 2020

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of it just seems silly but once you get started there is no end to the patterns you could cut.

https://matchgrademachine.com/fluting-options/

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Scott:
Some of it just seems silly but once you get started there is no end to the patterns you could cut.

https://matchgrademachine.com/fluting-options/

barf

Forget about registering firearms; I'm starting to think we should be registering CNC machines to keep this garbage from proliferating.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recall a "target" Ruger 10-22 barrel that had subtle, well-finished factory hammer forging contour. I thought it was pretty attractive. I think I've seen CZ 527 Lux/Royal with similar treatment before too.

Example:

Far less objectionable than MGM's treatments, and that wrought-iron pattern.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cdsx:
Oh, no.......

Please don't tell me you're contemplating this for your Brno project! 2020

Nooooooooooooo way! Just wondering what can be done. Thinking out loud.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
You mean like this: http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/boltfluting0914_004.htm

I've seen bolts done with flats as well.

Jeremy

I actually think that with 8 sides instead of 6 and a longer "twist rate" this could look quite good.
Wonder if it could make any difference to barrel harmonics, similar to a "structured" barrel?

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You gotta wonder if it would move in weird ways when it starts to heat up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it would be easier to grip with cold or wet hands. Trying to look for the up side.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom o:
Looks like it would be easier to grip with cold or wet hands. Trying to look for the up side.

BUT WAIT - THERE'S MORE !!!!

With our optional barrel sleeve attachment, you can actually convert your rifle to a giant Yankee Screwdriver! (Bits sold separately.)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The yankee screwdriver thing is a really innovative "twist". Just shows what can be achieved by warped minds working together.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always happy to help. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
No accounting for taste.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
No accounting for taste.

Dave

I'm not sure if Dave's commenting on our twisted humour, Tom, or twisted barrels....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I almost made a helical octagon a few years ago.

When I was shooting PRS with a friend I borrowed one of his rifles for the matches. These guys will F anything if they can hold it down. . . Flute it that is.

Long story short I had some rifle problems and threatened to build a Mauser. He of course quipped about it having an octagon barrel. I said absolutely to which he replied it would have to be “twisted”.

I really don’t think it would do anything weirder as it heated and expanded than some of the crazy decorative finishes guys put on rifles now.

If a barrel is fluted, I like the traditional old fashioned way of doing it. It’s not as if it is a new idea.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure if Dave's commenting on our twisted humour, Tom, or twisted barrels....

I don't think I will answer, might piss some people off. Ha-ha.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
quote:

I don't think I will answer, might piss some people off. Ha-ha.

Dave

Ouch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one has raised the important question as to whether the external twist should mirror the internal twist or go in the opposite direction. In other words, if the rifling has a right hand twist, should the external twist be right hand as well? What about the twist rate? If the internal twist is 1:8, should the external twist be the same? Plenty of room for conjecture and experimentation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Using a series of 3rd order, non-linear differential equations to approach this problem, it becomes clear that the rifling twist has to mirror the exterior twist.
If not, the conflicting forces could well cause a rift in the time / space continuum.
That would be a problem.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Just go over to the Double Rifle sub-forum and look up OSR. According to the OSR believers, just fire a single Barnes bullet down your barrel and you'll get the same effect!

stir

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Using a series of 3rd order, non-linear differential equations to approach this problem, it becomes clear that the rifling twist has to mirror the exterior twist.
If not, the conflicting forces could well cause a rift in the time / space continuum.
That would be a problem.

Oh look! Angels dancing on the head of a pin! Shouldn't we count how many? popcorn

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
That would be a problem.

A 1:10" right hand twist rifled barrel with a 8" left hand twist exterior finish could open an interdimensional portal.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
That would be a problem.

A guy shot one of these once and then tried to re-marry his ex-wife, but she wouldn't go for it.

She figured out he was only after his money.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A guy shot one of these once and then tried to re-marry his ex-wife, but she wouldn't go for it. She figured out he was only after his money.

Funny. Laughs are needed to keep ones sanity with this covid crap.

Dave

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
One practical concern...how would one inlet the stock?
So many stylistic concerns I won't get started.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Insurmountable problems, give then to the gunsmith.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
One practical concern...how would one inlet the stock?

No problem! You'd just cast the plastic stock in situ with the barrel. Because the sort of people who would want a candy-cane barrel would NEVER consider a walnut stock.

Posts: 41 | Location: Canada | Registered: 24 June 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought about a fluted barrel, that way I could shave every morning in elk camp..Ive cut my finger on a fluted barrel. Not for me as they serve no real purpose, other than in the mind of a mindless beholder.. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I thought about a fluted barrel, that way I could shave every morning in elk camp..Ive cut my finger on a fluted barrel. Not for me as they serve no real purpose, other than in the mind of a mindless beholder.. rotflmo

Good point, Ray. Just what every recoiling rifle needs - more sharp edges!

Smiler

Posts: 41 | Location: Canada | Registered: 24 June 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only sharp edges should be on cutting tools.

Dave