THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Stock experts trained eye needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock experts trained eye needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you are looking for something to spend a minute on search Guns International for "Mauser 98 Clayton Nelson Custom." It is GI# 101651787 and the first of the 2 rifles that show up under the title search. Look closely at the wrist of the stock on the 3rd picture from the bottom. It very much looks like a repair to me but one that is very odd and I do not see much if any evidence of it on the other side. I am curious what is going on here. Thanks in advance for opinions. JB

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I would guess that there was a knot there that was removed, and a plug of wood was installed in the resulting cavity.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice catch bghntr416.

Looks like 3 inlays/repairs in the same vicinity of the rear half of the left grip area. One from the end cap and up. One big one from the central checkering into the shadow line and one in between.
Plus, there is a trace of an old checkering tail of sorts behind the lower grip area that is partially obscured by the lower repair.
Wow!
Thanks. Interesting.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies and having a look. That has to be some tricky work to do that. I can see why he wanted to save that stock. I had not thought about it being a loose knot or perhaps a bark inclusion that may not have been visible at first...

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting.

That little trace of a checkering tail suggests a break repair and sequential removal of the tails by someone other than the original builder. Seems like Clayton Nelson would have done much better matching the grain flow & color although I never saw any of his repair work first hand or it was there and very well done.
Begs the question - Did someone drop the butt end on the side of a large rock and fall on it?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting stuff. I wasn't thinking of a break because I really couldn't find clear evidence of repairs to the other side but maybe they are easier seen in person? Your observations make sense though. And again are much appreciated by someone who is always trying to learn to see more.
I have always admired Clayton's work. Tried buying a rifle he built a few years ago but was out bid.