Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 x 62 Build
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I picked up a nice 9.3 x 57 Husqvarna on a M98 action. It has iron sights (rear banded) and a barrel sling band. Receiver is untapped. It had a side mount scope, but it has been filled in.

The stock with it was in poor shape, but was a really neat pattern - Schnabel front end and some nice cast-off and toe-out that fit me well. So, I decided to use it for a pattern stock.

I dropped the barreled action at Mark Pharr's last week for rechambering, rebluing, and welding on a butterknife handle I got from Tony Small in Australia. The barrel is an older profile, but is probably somewhere between a #2 and #3 in weight and profile. Good Swedish steel. I thought about getting a #2, but given we bore-scoped the barrel and it looked good, that would save me some money on a new barrel, sights, and barrel band.

I don't have a lot of time for regular updates, so here's a link to the pics and I will add over time, so please check back.

Build Pics

Here are the specs/details:

1. Husqvarna M98 with 24" factory barrel rechambered from 9.3x57 to 9.3x62
2. Factory bottom metal;
3. Butterknife handle from Tony Small
4. Huber Concepts trigger
5. Factory iron sights and barrel band swivel
6. Warne bases with Weaver 2.5-7x33 scope (love this scope, have one on a Remington 600 .308 Win)
7. Using original factory safety, will need extra high rings
8. Light profile Schnabel stock, no cheek piece, 15" LOP, Pachmayr Red recoil pad, 752; Jerry Fischer grip cap; front cross-bolt with ebony plugs; rear ferrel
9. Sending stock to CRS for duplicating on field grade walnut; plain to seal and finish with Velvet Oil Red Mahogany (it's going to be RED!!); Custom Diamonds checkering
10. Trader Keith Cloth sling; 7/8"; factory rear stock swivel

I'm hoping the duplication with result in a very close fitting stock; very little inletting. And just some epoxy around recoil lug and contact points.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you'll have a very nice 9.3 when you finish.
I too like the schnabel fore ends on those early rifles, good luck with the project.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a really nice build. Are using the weaver style bases though from Warne.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
Sounds like a really nice build. Are using the weaver style bases though from Warne.

Yes, the Weaver style bases from Warne. All the other "factory" bases are for Mausers with the stripper clip hump removed or one piece.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Mine before and after alterations;

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rigby350
posted Hide Post
Much nicer after Wink

Posts: 119 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
That before pattern looks really close to my pattern. I like the after as well.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
that's looks good....I got that stock from kebco, and I knew it needed final fitting.... I like my 9.3x57 and will rebore, rechamber a win m70 to 9.3x63....keep it going!!!

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was this rifle ever completed?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
My 404J got behind due to some feeding issues, so I've been 100% focused on it right now.

I think I should be finished over Christmas with the 9.3. I'm getting anxious as well!

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Just added some more pics with new bolt handle. A few tweaks to the stock and then off to the duplicator and then plan to rust blue it when done.

Changed scope to Leupold 1.75-6x32

Build Pics

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I love that trigger block you use. Need to make me one of those.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I love that trigger block you use. Need to make me one of those.

I bought it online somewhere. This is the third Mauser I've used it on. I've had to cut here and there each time depending on the trigger. Right now it doesn't go all the way down to the trigger guard, so I have to finish off the trigger hole with files.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Sent the pattern stock off to the duplicator today.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Any of you guys reworking husky 9.3 x 57s run into odd bore sizes? I've hears a few people finding slightly large bores. Dunno how common/ accurate this is but am thinking along these lines myself.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Any of you guys reworking husky 9.3 x 57s run into odd bore sizes? I've hears a few people finding slightly large bores. Dunno how common/ accurate this is but am thinking along these lines myself.

There are several you could do; but the 9.5x57 or 10.75 x 63 or 10.75 x 68 are probably the most interesting. If this rifle doesn't shoot well (we did inspect the bore with a high end scope and it looked good), I will try the 10.75 x 68.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Well, the stock is on it's way back from the duplicator.

I worked on the feeding this week - video below:

Video

Since it started of as a 9.3x57 the magazine was tight on the shoulders of the longer cartridges, it would only hold 4 down instead 5. So I removed metal on the inside of the mag until there was no more binding and then matched the underside of the receiver to the new magazine dimensions. I also adjusted the extractor a bit as well since it was extremely tight and did not move smoothly on the bolt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice feeding!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Here's stock as I got it from the duplicator, CRS. Outside was awesome, probably 98% done. Interior inletting was sharp but needed .030 to .100" more inletting.

Here's after the inletting:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking over your stock work, I like it. I have a piece of wood that could be the next blank in the slab. I really like stocks that are not over the top fancy but have good grain flow and function. Yours looks great. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
It is looking fine, that is for sure!

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwheels:
Looking over your stock work, I like it. I have a piece of wood that could be the next blank in the slab. I really like stocks that are not over the top fancy but have good grain flow and function. Yours looks great. DW

Where did you get your blank? I got mine at Old Tree Gun Blanks

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
What kind of tease are you? Where's the picture of the butt left and right?

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AH,

Really nice work. Only thing I would have done differently is move the fore stock up towards the top of the blank and the toe down towards the bottom. I think the flow thru the wrist would have still been ok and more of the desirable grain and color in the butt area. Looking very good as is tho. Who did the turning?

Bill

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
CRS did the turning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Austin Hunter, question for you via PM.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Some updated pics.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Project has been moving slow with the summer and work.

Here are some pics from 2nite. I reshaped the grip - moved it back some and profiled the grip cap a hair smaller.

Wet it with some mineral spirits. Plan to dye it red before finishing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is looking pretty sweet...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Ok - I starting finishing the stock.

I got the bedding done and threaded/epoxy crossbolt installed with ebony plugs.

I sanded to 400 grit today and then used Solarlux blood red dye to achieve the color I wanted. It was originally to dark, but I rubbed the stock with their reducer and got the color I desired. It was a bit "pink", but checked the color with mineral spirits over it and it was just what I wanted.

I then sealed it with a 2:1 mineral spirits:spar urethane.

I'm going to let it dry for a week and then start filling the pores with velvet oil and rottenstone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done that exact same operation more than a few times, mostly however with the mod in 9.3x6 to start with..At one time those gun were readily available.. The 98s were damn nice used rifles as they came from the box. I stayed clear of the 96s but some folks built them up and liked them...

from time to time I will find a fairly rough old guild type gun with a half oct..half round, full rib barrel that's all but shot out and I will clean the metal, rust blue it, rebore it to 9.3x62 and sometimes use the existing stock for a pattern stock, sometimes just redo the existing stock..

I get a lot of enjoyment restoring some of these fine old rifles to as new again and giving them a second life, they come with a history that IMO makes them deserving. I just wish they could talk.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Some updated pics. Weights 8.5 lbs w/scope. Need to grind pad and then send out for checkering. I plan to rust blue myself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sexy!!!
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Stock is now checkered and sealed. A big thank you to John Reese at Custom Diamonds for the checkering job. It took some work matching the stock color when I got it back since the checkering removed the top layer with the dye, but I got it matched.

Just need to rust blue all the metal now. Going to try myself....

And yes, the stock has cast-off and kicks out more at the toe.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice stock especially the final color is very nice.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle! At first I thought it was too red, but looks good with the metal in it...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bolt goes with the Schnabel tip,Beautiful job..

Posts: 117 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 19 April 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Really a nice rifle, I like the color, maybe a bit darker red for my taste, I'm building a G33-40 small ring with Brno bottom metal, and it will be a 7x57/ I will use Alkanet root as usual, and go for a darker or purplish red, but maybe I will do some experimenting with your die first, we'll see. I like it for sure.

My stock will differ slightly in that it will have a short forearm, slightly smaller schnable or perhaps ebony FE tip at 8"s, and the Prince of Whales grip..

I'm torn between the severe English Henry Aiken stock design and the more Germanic schnable type such as yours and do I want a shadowline egg cheekpiece or no cheek piece. Still in the planning stage, just got the metal work done, so will begin stocking it soon. The stock is Russian walnut, black as the ace of spades with dark dark brown marbleing or visa versa. A very old blank I have been saving for ions.

I don't intend to sell this one, I'm building it for myself, Ive said this before, but this time I'm firm and I have a grandson that needs it someday.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Really a nice rifle, I like the color, maybe a bit darker red for my taste, I'm building a G33-40 small ring with Brno bottom metal, and it will be a 7x57/ I will use Alkanet root as usual, and go for a darker or purplish red, but maybe I will do some experimenting with your die first, we'll see. I like it for sure.

My stock will differ slightly in that it will have a short forearm, slightly smaller schnable or perhaps ebony FE tip at 8"s, and the Prince of Whales grip..

I'm torn between the severe English Henry Aiken stock design and the more Germanic schnable type such as yours and do I want a shadowline egg cheekpiece or no cheek piece. Still in the planning stage, just got the metal work done, so will begin stocking it soon. The stock is Russian walnut, black as the ace of spades with dark dark brown marbleing or visa versa. A very old blank I have been saving for ions.

I don't intend to sell this one, I'm building it for myself, Ive said this before, but this time I'm firm and I have a grandson that needs it someday.

Thanks for the kind comments - can't wait to see your rifle!

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
That is one helluva nice rifle! Well done! Did you take the specs from the factory rifle re drop at comb and drop at heel? Would you share that please?

Thanks.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote