New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building my last hunting rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am planning on building a 260 rem from a ruger 77 tang safety ruger 77 with open sites .I really like those ruger sites but they do hang on every brush .I am going to use this ruger mostly for deer .I either want a 24 or 22 inch barrel and not sure what barrel I want but pretty sure I wsbr a stainless one .I have two stocks for this gun a factory stock and a laminated Boyd's stock .I hunted for derr with my ruger 77 tang rifle for 33 years in 338 win mag but lately it's kicking way too much. I LIKE The 260 with 155 grain lapua mega tips .I also want to try the Berger 156 grain bullets for the long range shooting .I think I might want this barrel fluted just to save a little weight not sure on that one .I like the ruger tang safety mire that any safety made I shoot it as fast as a double shotgun .I quit using the 243 for deer long ago don't trust it lose two huge bucks with it in hope to get this rifle done before next season .I have been hunting with a savage 260 rem but it's just not the same as a tang safety ruger.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a nice build. I’m a fan of iron sights as well.