THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    I need help with a new Mannlicher build
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need help with a new Mannlicher build
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys,
I am thinking about buying a used Zastava 8X57 with set double triggers from Elk County ($449), rebarrel it for .257 Roberts, and have a Mannlicher/Stutzen full stock made for it. My questions are:
1-am I correct that the bolt face will accommodate .257 Roberts? (Just looking for a light, soft kicking round I'm open to other options if they work)
2-Am I crazy?
3-Will the magazine cycle the smaller rounds?
4-Is there a stock maker that will build me a functional, straight grained Stutzen stock without breaking the bank?
I've never had a rifle custom built and I'm trying to make sure I'm not making a mistake. I want this to be slim, light and funtional, not fancy. I may not even scope it, just outfit it with a peep. I do all my hunting with a recurve bow, so this is for range fun only.
Thanks,
Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1- yes
2- who knows? LOL
3- should cycle just fine
4- don't know that, sorry. reasonable money to one is too much to someone else.
5- (Bonus) Sounds damn fun!!!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell us what your budget is. Then we will know if you are crazy...

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’d like to spend no more than 2k (including cost of the Zastava)… Is it possible?
As I write it, I’m starting to question it.
-new barrel
-buy installing sights
-new Stutzen stock
-nose cap
My local ‘smith can do the metal work. The big cost will be the stock I think. Again, I’m a neophyte, what do you think?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you're really stretching it a $2,000. Lots of synthetic stocked rifles. with the client providing the receiver, go for more than that. Someone out there has apattern for the stock you want. The only one I can think of off hand that might is Wenig. Their patterns seem to be 'universal', with a lot of extra wood left so the drop at heel can be adjusted to suit. Lot of 'extra' wood on their pre-inlets. It costs the same in labor to fit and finish a straight grained stock as it does to fit and finish one with figure. I'd want straight grain in a Mannlicher, with its' long forearm, but some figure in the butt end.

Posts: 670 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slivers:
I think you're really stretching it a $2,000. Lots of synthetic stocked rifles. with the client providing the receiver, go for more than that. Someone out there has apattern for the stock you want. The only one I can think of off hand that might is Wenig. Their patterns seem to be 'universal', with a lot of extra wood left so the drop at heel can be adjusted to suit. Lot of 'extra' wood on their pre-inlets. It costs the same in labor to fit and finish a straight grained stock as it does to fit and finish one with figure. I'd want straight grain in a Mannlicher, with its' long forearm, but some figure in the butt end.

I agree with 100% of what slivers said.

2K is really pushing it. Stock inletting will be a bit more money than a "traditional" stock. I always figured that if the money is being spent on a project, I might as well get some figure in the butt and straight up front.
Add checkering to finish the project and you'll be well over budget.

It still sounds fun!
I'll be doing one for myself out of a killer piece of wood but since I'll provide my labor (and I'm cheap) it will come in on MY budget.

Best,
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind...cowboy boots from Gravel Gear are about $100.00 Bond bootmakers will set you back $2200.00 plus. Starting at a price and working backwards can be money just thrown away

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m glad I asked before I grabbed the 8x57. The build will certainly be more than I’m looking to spend. I appreciate everyone’s help. Maybe I’ll just look for a Interarms with Stutzen and double triggers to play with. I do see that Zastava makes a full stock model also. Thanks fellas, I knew I’d get the straight skinny here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check GI, you will find a number of mannlicher style rifles that are within your budget. Not the caliber you want but some nice options. BTW, the stock makers that post here are very reasonable for the work that they do...just more than you are willing to spend at the moment. Wink JB

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a search and keep an eye out for a
Mannlicher Schoenauer Model 1950 in 257Roberts.

The Mod 1950 had the pre-war features of the straight flat bolt handle and orig steel rotary magazine still but came in calibers such as the 257, 270, 30-06...
No M/C stock, skip line checkering or flashy finish.
They came in a 1/2 stock or full stock versions.

Usually priced around $2000.

Classic iron sighted rifle. You can still scope them if you want w/a side mount which was done for many years.
I prefer the plain iron sights.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have a guy in Europe that does stocks on a CNC machine.

https://www.stocon-spt.de/

https://www.facebook.com/Stoco...ocks-476636559013536

He can get you a price on what you want.

I met him at Jagd and Hund about 3 or 4 years ago. Hell of a nice guy. Lives in Hungary, ships all over the world.

There are others in the European gun trade that do the same thing. Google waffen schaft, and make sure you tell google you only want to see those words in the result.

Barrel is not going to be cheap. A blued barrel fitted to a 98 of good quality will be $600 ish plus sights $300-1500 depending on how nuts you want to get. There are cheaper barrels, but you might get a cheaper result.

I would expect a stock like that from Stocon to be $500-1500 depending on wood.

He will be cheaper than a traditional gunsmith, because he is loading the blank in a CNC mill. A custom wood stock from a traditional gunsmith will be $5000 plus.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don’t you consider a Sako Mannlicher in 243. You can find the older (better) models for about $1500. Usually very accurate and well made.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id suggest a Ruger International in a caliber of your choice or buy a std. Ruger for $500 give or take and have RJ Renner do his fabulous stuff for $2000..I can send you pictures of his work as I have one in 7x57..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41780 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the idea Ray. I have looked at those Renners. But I really fell in love with the double set triggers from a MS 1903 that I had and then sold.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by basser:
Thanks for the idea Ray. I have looked at those Renners. But I really fell in love with the double set triggers from a MS 1903 that I had and then sold.

I think a Renner with a Kepplinger single set trigger would be way nice.

Posts: 688 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Renner also does a trigger job on those rugers, and my gun has that key brass forend slot such as on many muzzle loaders..I love this Renner special of mine and I bought it as new from a pawn shop for next to nothing..its awesome...and shoots pin hole size groups..also has a long throat mag and throat so I can seat bullets out..schnable forend 23 inch barrel with sights..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41780 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at this: it's not the caliber you wanted, but it might just be a better one and can be loaded down to .257 Roberts performance. You can add the double set triggers later: https://www.gunsinternational....cfm?gun_id=101702282

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This might be another possibility, if you can find one: a BRNO 22F:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Keep in mind...cowboy boots from Gravel Gear are about $100.00 Bond bootmakers will set you back $2200.00 plus. Starting at a price and working backwards can be money just thrown away

Thanks for the reminder I need to get me some Paul Bond boots

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote