THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    HERE WE GO AGAIN - Dorleac &Dorleac .275 H&H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HERE WE GO AGAIN - Dorleac &Dorleac .275 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Some of you might remember my southpaw AHR DGR 550 Lefty in 375 H&H from American Hunting rifles and bitterroot here.

Well, Its little brother have been in the making from quite a while now and its nearing conception. Stockwork is done and rust blueing, engraving and some finework remains.

I`ll let the pictures do the talking.
Hope you like it.
Best,

Axel.

[i]
Dear Axel,

The stock of your southpaw .275 Rigby rifle is now finished and the rifle has been assembled in the white for sight regulating.
As you will notice, we have modified the front sight and barrel swivel bases to a lightened fitting look.
In the same manner, on such a light recoil caliber, I have chosen to fit a slim leather covered butt pad instead of the planned thick red Silver's.
Indeed with your choices of a steel caped pistol grip and H&H style side scope mount, the rifle, while "Old English" fashioned, is not of true Rigby pattern, being more a D&D interpretation of that kind of light stalking rifle.
The rear stock benefit of a slight 6mm cast on and the trigger has been bent and contoured for left hand grip.
The French walnut don't show dramatic figure as usually does a Turkish blank, but to my eyes it's better appropriated to the rifle and with a very good and dense grain flow, it will withstand more abuse.
Next step will be the hand engraving of the markings, some touches of ornamental engraving on the fittings before slow rust bluing …but it's another story !

Best regards.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Classy little rifle....no cheekpiece needed!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Very nice, I didn't even notice the lack of a cheek piece until I read Duane's post, I was too busy admiring the other details.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle, sir.

I can't wait to see the pictures of it completed.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 817 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Damn...I suppose I could learn to shoot lefty!

Just lovely!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2311 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Die, now, and you will go straight to heaven. With a right turn at the last exit, just for being sinister. What a piece!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13351 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work. A very elegant rifle. A shame to put such a montsrous optic on such a petite rifle. A Swaro 3x9x36 would better compliment that great work.

Congrats on great work.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Superb. I really like the slim and straight wrist.

What treatment has been done to the trigger? Is it grit blasted or coated? I've not seen that before.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Looks to be a very nice rifle.

I would go beyond "not of true Rigby pattern, being more a D&D interpretation of that kind of light stalking rifle" and say that it is made more to the style of Holland & Holland. The trigger stippling, front sight, rear sight, scope mount, stock shape, checkering pattern, and even the caliber are very H&H. The only thing that reminds me of a Rigby is the bolt peep sight.

I like it.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Fine art!

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
Beautiful work. A very elegant rifle. A shame to put such a montsrous optic on such a petite rifle. A Swaro 3x9x36 would better compliment that great work.

Congrats on great work.
well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say.. Im not gonna argue that the scope is a beauty, but Then is swaro? Personally I find their spaceship looks less than desireable.. Also keep in mind This rifle will be sans optics 99% of the time.. So for those mountain range shots I wanted a bigger scope than the x36..

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Proper!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7512 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Spectacular!!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle. Just curious, did they use the .288 bore as the origunal or the more modern .284?

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Juat enough figure in the stock to take a peek at it and the lines of it, and then its back to looking at the metal work...NICE.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is what I call Beauty!... tu2

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the basis that the buyer will not be happy with this rifle for some reason, please post to.......... Smiler

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Joel Dorleac produces superb bolt rifles. tu2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Joel Dorleac produces superb bolt rifles. tu2

I like your VC double also Ozhunter!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful rifle!! I'm not familiar with the checkering pattern however. Is this a traditional or vintage checkering pattern?

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Todd, to me the checkering is very reminicent of Holland & Holland.

Traditional H&H, checkering pattern flat along the back:

Traditional Rigby checkering pattern curved along the back:

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Georgeous.

One question: Why did you go with a standing leaf sight if you were also going to use the bolt peep sight? I'd think that looking through the peep sight you'd still be trying to put the front bead into the leaf sight's V.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful trim little rifle, but that scope is big enough to see the rings around Uranus! Seems disproportionate.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those big UGLY German scopes look like a Saturn V that has had a matte black paint job.

quote:
Originally posted by BigUglyMan:
That's a beautiful trim little rifle, but that scope is big enough to see the rings around Uranus! Seems disproportionate.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

It might seem disproportionate only until you see that monster Boar, Leopard or Stag right on last light. Then your be pleased...

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Another stunning rifle!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Grenadier,

Thanks for that picture. I agree. It does look very similar to the H&H you posted. I just learned something!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:

It might seem disproportionate only until you see that monster Boar, Leopard or Stag right on last light. Then your be pleased...
.this. It really is an open sights rifle, the scope will only be mounted when the situation calls for it, and when it does i want a telescope Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
joels rifles patterns are a cross between rigby and holland ,,hence the checkering pattern ,scope mount ,front sight configuration ,,but the shape of the wood near the loading port/bolt handle is pure rigby....paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
It's a great rifle.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote