The Accurate Reloading Forums
Shelhammer stocks

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971019521/m/5131090362

02 December 2020, 04:17
Timan
Shelhammer stocks
Does anybody have pics. Of the the Shelhammer stock with the chin strap style cheek piece.

02 December 2020, 23:00
dcdone
Page 45 of Michael Petrov'S book "Custom Gunmakers of the 20th Century" (the first volume, published in 2005) has a photo labeled "Shelhamer Chinstrap" and shows also thefront half of the cheek piece. And google "hollowellco shelhamer" http://www.hallowellco.com/shelhamer_chinstrap.html
03 December 2020, 00:49
richj
George Beitzinger interpretation.

Mauser 243, Geno Cargnel engraving.

03 December 2020, 03:10
4WD
There is a Sako L461 .17 Javelina that states stocked by Shelhammer ,rifle with the exaggerated cheek rest on Guns International that showed up on GI today. This may be what you are referring to. Looks like really nice work and a pretty unique style.
03 December 2020, 17:34
Timan
Thanks for the tip. This one I found on GI
https://www.gunsinternational....cfm?gun_id=101490109

05 December 2020, 18:42
Timan
This one is a left hand Remington I'm stocking. I did the cheek piece Shelhammer style.

07 December 2020, 16:11
gasgunner
I have some serious doubts as to that 458 being a Shelhamer stock. (yes, it is one L and one M)

As for your rifle, that is a beautiful rifle and terrific stock, but I see nothing Shelhamer about the cheek piece. G&H used that style for a while, and Linden did some like that, but not so much Shelhamer. Not that he didn't make some with a similar style, but none of the dozen or so that have been in my gun rack have that style.

Shelhamers post-war work became very cookie cutter with very little variation in style. I personally think his pre-war work was some of his best work and had a more traditional classic style. There was more variation to his pre-war work as well since he was working for Neidner and had to do whatever job came in the door. His post-war cheek piece was not the most elegant thing ever put on a rifle stock, but I think at the time a lot of gunsmiths were struggling to make a elegant stock to fit the new fangled scopes that everyone was using.

Shelhamer Stock

A quick Google search will find many examples of his work.

One quick way to help identify a Shelhamer stock is by the screw on the bottom of the forend. He nearly always put a screw up through the bottom of the forend into the barrel, and this screw always had a little brass aschutzen.

I believe I have only seen one stock that I felt was his work that did not have this feature. The uncheckered strip down the bottom of the forend, the border around the checkering, and the schnabel are also very typical of his work.

Love your work Timan.

John
07 December 2020, 18:43
Timan
Gasgunner,
Thanks for your input. I've been interested in this design for a while and did a right hand pair for guy back in '17. I always liked the design and thought it to be appropriate for a rifle with an American action, be it any number of American actions starting with the 03 to present.

07 December 2020, 21:42
Duane Wiebe (CG&R)
FWIW...Earl Milliron also used this cheekpiece style
08 December 2020, 20:43
richj
not quite the same