New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm bullets for hogs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I plan on going to Texas to shoot a few hogs in a couple of weeks. Has any one used the Sierra 107 6mm match bullet for hunting? Do you think they will blow up? Will shoot them out of a 6mm Remington @ about 3000 fps. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, but you need to make sure your barrel has the proper twist.
I've personally never had problems with my 243 and 87grn match bullets. Bullet placement as always is important.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 7mmMagnum
posted Hide Post
100gn Speer Grand Slam is what I use in the .240 Wby. Toughest 100gn'er I've found anyway and ideal for big hogs.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I had a buddy that passed away a few years ago whose mantra always was that best possible bullet regardless of caliber was the heaviest g. that was the closest to 3000 MV.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
95 Gr NP at 3100 in a 243 has dispatched many hogs with little fuss.
My main stay 243 load.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
What eezridr said. Very effective bullet in 6mm.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hogs are easy to kill, a 6mm with a good 8o, 85 gr. cup and core, or a 75 to 85 gr. monolithic works...Ive killed a ton of hogs with a varity of calibers from the 25-20, 32-20 as a kid on our ranch to the 222 rem, 45-70 and whatever deer rifle I had handy at the time..If I were to pick a favorite it would probably be the 250-3000..NOt sure I would use a target bullet simply because the jackets are so thin, as are some varmint bullets, but I know a lot of guys that have and got away with it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ray, hogs are not all that tough to kill.
If your rifle is shooting that bullet well and you have a bunch of them then give it a try.
If you are thinking of loading it because it is heavy then go another direction.
I've only shot 1 head of game with a Sierra MatchKing and it was this year a doe Antelope 6.5 Swede 142 grain SMK, perfect performance.
With that said any reasonable cup and core bullet 85 grains and up will do fine in that 6mm.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big hogs running are pretty tough .I used my 338 win mag in them for years .I would use 100 grain nosler partitions for hogs .Hogs that are running are very hard to hit We have shot some 400 to 600 pound hogs that were super tough to kill and at 35 mph they can haul butt Good luck have fun they are awesome on the smoker.

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 243 was my go to back in the day. It was a hog killer.
We have a lot of hogs on the property, but have never seen the 400-600 lbs ones.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when in doubt there is the old fashioned nosler partition

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
a good 6mm projectile will kill almost any Texas pig

90% of Texas feral Pigs are under 250#
Avg of those killed and weighed -- is about 100-125 (not including the piglets)

Most "300-400" estimated ones that actually were weighed in Texas -- run 285 and less

yes a handful above 400 are taken each year in Texas, most in south Texas and most on 'game' ranches

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
when in doubt there is the old fashioned nosler partition

Yes sir!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
a good 6mm projectile will kill almost any Texas pig

90% of Texas feral Pigs are under 250#
Avg of those killed and weighed -- is about 100-125 (not including the piglets)

Most "300-400" estimated ones that actually were weighed in Texas -- run 285 and less

yes a handful above 400 are taken each year in Texas, most in south Texas and most on 'game' ranches

You are correct.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There seems to be two distinct wild hogs in Texas. Some have a lot of feral hog ancestors. They have a head that is kind of round. They aren't too hard to kill. There are also hogs that have a lot of wild boar genes. The boars have an elongated big head. big shoulders and small hips. These hogs are much tougher than the barnyard hogs gone wild. Also when the boars are full grown they develop a gristle plate (armor plate) around their shoulders which is noted for deflecting smaller calibers with light weight bullets. I witnessed one such hog running hit with 3 80 grain 243 bullets and one 130 grain 270 bullet which killed him. The other three bullets were dug out of the thick layer of fat up against the gristle plate.The smaller caliber lighter bullets will penetrate the gristle plate when fired from an oblique angle which of course is not always possible.

I don't claim to be an expert at hog hunting. Just my experience over quite a number of years .

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
craftsman,
You are correct, it is a gene pool, Some of that is the Russian gene pool in certain areas that came about by some importing Russians to cross with their feral hogs, but animals size usually results in somebodys breeding program going back years..but it can happen with strictly a wild gene pool, just like it does in deer, antelope and range conditions as to size of the animals, such as horn growth from high protein diet feeding..An example is the monster large whitetail in the Texas golden triangle as opposed to the tiny deer of the Llano area of Texas..genetics and feed make two different animals of the same breed.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Bullet weight/design not important for head shots. If they disintegrate, no problem. I doubt a hog could survive any 6mm bullet even monometal put there.

Can you shoot well? Just
in case….

General rules for smaller groups.

1…. Shoot often enough to make tripping the trigger an instinct. Squeeze, don't pull.
2.. Trigger settings that worked best for me are no creep, little to no overtravel, 1.75 to 2 pound pull.
3.. Go for the center mass of the head and use the bullet that gives the best groups.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I had a big sow come across me last Sunday with my 6mm Rem and Superformance 95 SSTs. She was moving through the woods and stopped with a shot on her shoulder and I took it. Hit high shoulder in no man's land, and I watched her feet get back under her and off she went. Never found a touch of blood, just hair and fat. Had the same thing happen a few years ago with a .270 Win and 140gr Hornady. Won't make the mistake again. Head/neck shots from here on out.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 603 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote