New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 x 62 in process photos
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
These are in process photos of the 1909 Argentine 9.3 x 62 rifle that I have posted in the classified section, here http://forums.accuratereloadin...1078981/m/2601045562

Posts: 172 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a pleasure to see your work. Thanks.
Also it's a beautiful rifle. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I have never seen a duplicated stock look like that before! All the semi-inlets I have worked with look like they were hacked with an adze. That looks like all it needs is oil and checkering.

What is the secret word to get results like that? Does it require a specific type of machine, or just additional passes with a finer finish cutter?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Hoenig duplicator which is a very precise machine and in a different league than what is typically used for semi inlets. Nothing special about the process, I do a rough cut followed by a finish cut, 1:1 on the inletting and .025 over on the outside.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
They are amazing duplicators. George gave me a long lesson on the whole thing at his house once. He leaves no stones unturned.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
Wow, I have never seen a duplicated stock look like that before! All the semi-inlets I have worked with look like they were hacked with an adze. That looks like all it needs is oil and checkering.

What is the secret word to get results like that? Does it require a specific type of machine, or just additional passes with a finer finish cutter?

It all starts with a great pattern. If you copy a turd.....

Time =$$$
If you pay bottom dollar for a semi inlet then expect the operator to not spend that much time on it.

There are several in the field that do top quality duplicating and their prices reflect the time required. However..... the time saved working with a quality machined semi inlet needs to be considered as well.

Even the Hoenig machines can turn out a job that looks like hell. Operator's background in running their machine and inletting their work creates personal incentive to shorten the learning curve. Kind of like sombody that listens to vinyl records all the time and never scratches a record. Easy on and off and NEVER bounce it.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1827 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GMyers:
I use a Hoenig duplicator which is a very precise machine and in a different league than what is typically used for semi inlets. Nothing special about the process, I do a rough cut followed by a finish cut, 1:1 on the inletting and .025 over on the outside.

I was immediately impressed with the quality of his machine inletting: so sorry he no longer does it for other than himself

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, Thanks for the compliment, I really appreciate it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gene duplicated a number of stocks for me over the years, the best work Ive ever seen..Took me an hour to finish the inletting on Genes work, as compared to most at half a day to finish..
Ray

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Any duplicator services offer this quality of inletting? Amazing.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Gene Simillion, D’ Arcy Echols(not sure if he offers it, but is capable), James Anderson.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1017 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote