New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best looking riflescope?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What's the best looking variable hunting riflescope for this 8.5 lb 7mm Mag?

The rings on it now are gloss, lower than those pictured. I am leaning towards a gloss Leu. variable of maybe 3.5-10X.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I like your rifle and if it were mine I would put on a 3.5-10 VX 3 L Leupold that has the cutout in the bottom of the objective. That checkering pattern deserves something a little different.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swarovski 3x9

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the amount of drop in that stock, you must have to prop your chin up on the comb to look through the scope. I would go with the lowest rings I could find and use a scope with either a straight tube or no more than a 32mm objective,6X, tops. You don't need a huge ocular lens to interfere with the bolt handle, either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best looking on that setup to me would be apertures for use with the 1 power human eyeball.

I'd opt for something in the neighborhood of a small 1-6 or 2.5-8. Not sure if it's still being made, but Leupold had a 2.5-8 x32 if I remember right. More than enough magnification, and in a nice compact light package.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold offers custom finishes. Great customer service.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
2.5x8 Leupold in a matte finish if it were mine but Phil's suggestion of a 3.5x10 42mm with a matte finish would probably be perfect.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
My last custom is a 257 Roberts on a completely reworked Model 70 action. I have a Zeiss Diavari Z 3-12x56 MC on it and really like both the look and the results. It is in Talley mounts. The scope is exceptionally bright.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
A very nice and trim 3x9 36 swaro...

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a Leu. 3-9 VX-2 on it taken from another rifle. I wanted lower rings and the Conquest ocular just touches the bolt when back!

The Leu. has a smaller eyepiece and it clears plus it's gloss and matches the rings and rifle.

I have a Swaro. 3-9 and except for the name I am not overwelmed by it's optics or value.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would throw either a Leupold 6x36 fixed or a 2.5-8X in low S&K bases/rings. All the scope you need, a tidy packages the both.

Here's a 6x36 on my Grisel actioned 280. About perfect to me.

An FN with the S&K's and a 3.5-10X Leupold, bulky to me but a spare scope I had around.

Though I prefer the S&K's, Conetrol's also look pretty nice. Here's a M70 with them and a 3.5-10 Leupold, bases are custom I believe. For me, the scope is a bit large but it is how the rifle came when I bought it so I left it as built.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking through or looking at , that should be the question Roll Eyes

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavenknows:
Looking through or looking at , that should be the question Roll Eyes

Agree, hence quite happy with my choices.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always felt the 2.5-8x36mm VX-3 Leupold was a very elegant looking, well proportioned scope.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I'm with Hondo, I have more of these(2.5x8) than any other, great all- around scope. Nothing looks worse to me than a slim, well-proportioned sporter with the Hubbel Space Scope mounted on it.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Anything with a small objective. I try to keep them at 40mm our less.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
conetrol custom rings and bases. best looking mounts you can put on a classic rifle in my opinion. gloss leupold vx3

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say that's a mighty subjective question.

and if you don't like your first choice, you can always try again.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
I'm with Hondo...

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The one I can see through? Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13379 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slim lined rifle -out of the box - with a few ads.
Scope Nickel variable 1-4

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

May be overlooked Wink

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the old Zeiss diatals and diavaris from the mid 1990's. new scope - I would look at the Schmidt & Bender Kassik series, or Swarovski z3. Needs to have a blued type finish, rather than a flock / crinkle type that many modern scopes. Not sure what Zeiss are thinking about with their Duralyt series - good optics but olive green colour - no thanks. For an old varmint rifle, I do like the looks of he old unertl long scopes with external spring mounts, but have never seen one in the flesh.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fabulous rifles above! Cool

Here it is now with the Vari-X 11 3-9 with the new, lower rings.

Today it's last group put two into 1.75" at 200yds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Leupold 2.5-8x36 VX3.

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2.5x8x36 Matte Leupold is my vote.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks good or not european scopes are best on market,zeis,swaro,schmidt,all others are ok but not in same level,better craftmanship,quallity control etc are involved

Posts: 139 | Location: Canada | Registered: 08 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 2.5x8x36, but in gloss. It will look good.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for any gloss Leupold. The back end of the Leupold is trim. All the other scopes I like seem to have a truck axle attached to the back of the scope.

Kind of like all the GM cars lately: they'd look great if they'd not make the back end enormous, plus you'd be able to see out the back window without having to buy an electronic camera designed to break in 3 yrs...whoops, off topic...sorry.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a slim scope I don't think the Swarovski Z3 series in 3-9x36 or the 3-10x42 can't be beat. Great value I think as well. I have put 8 or so on rifles this past year.

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 3-9 Leupold looks good to me on the 7mm Mag. The rifle is a little on the heavy side at 8.75# scoped and with it's 1-12" twist shooting 120's it's a longer range coyote rifle.

Yes I might shoot a deer with it however I have other similar rifles in 264, 7mm and .300".

The Swarovski scope I got for its name is not all that special optics or features wise. It's crosshairs fade to pink in sunlight and it's resolution is no better than a Leupold.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 3X Leupold. No big front bell. Enough magnification for any big game. Easy to carry -does not bang into everything.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
If you are looking for a slim scope I don't think the Swarovski Z3 series in 3-9x36 or the 3-10x42 can be beat. Great value I think as well. I have put 8 or so on rifles this past year.

+1

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is my Swarovski 3-9 that I purchased with the thought that they were the best.

This 3-9 is not the best, nor even a good value. They are overpriced, the crosshairs turn pink in bright sunlight like the old Leupold variables.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it was still available to us common folk, Nightforce 2.5-10x24 NXS.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Best looking rifle scope?

The old Zeiss/Jena 6X on a ZKK mount. Cool

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage_99:
Here is my Swarovski 3-9 that I purchased with the thought that they were the best.

This 3-9 is not the best, nor even a good value. They are overpriced, the crosshairs turn pink in bright sunlight like the old Leupold variables.

Wow have not had that problem at all. I have I think 8 of them at the moment and just this week I ordered 5 more for other projects.

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Best looking rifle scope?

The old Zeiss/Jena 6X on a ZKK mount. Cool

Looks a tad high for me. No?