THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Gunmaker wanted in western Montana
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunmaker wanted in western Montana
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am left-handed and left eye dominant. Eighteen months ago, I went blind in my left eye. After recovering some sight, I have decided to have a Ferguson breech-loading flintlock rifle made for my use since I am forced to convert to become a right-handed shooter.

If you build rifles, I ask you to consider taking the job. I have an L&R right-handed flintlock as individual unfitted parts. Perhaps it might be better to buy the lock, needing only tuning by you?

Ric Carter, very good maker and within 100 miles, I have been unable to get ahold of. And Gene Gordner is well beyond my price range.

I'm not going to overload you with details. I have dimensions and photographs available directly. If the build appeals to you we'll work out details and payment. I anticipate the build to be in the $1K–$2K range. Because of the stock blank's excessive length, the gunmaker needs to be in western Montana. I am in Missoula County.

A few thoughts for a gunmaker who might be put off by unusual configuration of the Ferguson's breech. Among the few original Ferguson rifles nearly all were "Enlisted Man's" model for which I have machinist's inspection drawings. The others (perhaps other??) was an elegant sporting or "Officer's" model for which I also have machinist's inspection drawings. The point is that what I want built allows flexibility. And over the years I have examined some interesting Ferguson variations, one "Deerstalker" being beautiful beyond elegant.
Unfired TRS-Rayl Ferguson breech-loading flintlock barreled action. Partial specifications are as follows. More dimensional specifications included in photographs.

1. TRS (The Rifle Shoppe) Ferguson action, including trigger plate (trigger plate not shown). Action is not drilled-and-tapped for touch hole as its precise location would occur during completion of rifle. Material is AISI 8620.

2. Ed Rayl finished and installed .54-caliber swamped octagon barrel 39 inches long. Material is AISI 8620.

3. English walnut (not black walnut) stock blank three inches thick is slightly machined with barrel slot.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
This may be out of their wheel house, but call C. Sharps in Big Timber. I have had them build several rifles for me, and have been happy with the work and the turnaround time. If they won't do it, they may be able to recommend someone who can.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3813 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent idea. I have several Shiloh Sharps Model 1863s and have toured both shops, I hadn't considered the possibility. I'll worry about their value for the work when, or if, I must.

Many thanks for a "possible".

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John McLaughlin in Helena, MT?

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote