Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NECG Peep Sight Storage
 Login/Join

posted
I’m having a custom hunting rifle built. My backup sights are the NECG Masterpiece hooded front barrel band and a rear NECG Peep that attaches to a Weaver base. The rifle isn’t built yet.

How should I store the rear peep when using optics? ....or should I give up and us a barrel mount rear sight? Just wondering what creative ideas are out there.

If it matters, it will be a custom M70 with a Brux barrel chambered in 300 Sherman all set in a customized B&C stock. Great rifle....still working on the exact scope. I have a scope, but it might be the wrong one...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like you, I have rifles with both receiver sights and scopes, and have thought about this issue over the years. My receiver sights are original steel Lyman 48's, and so the part that detaches is much
smaller and less complex than your NECG. The thought I keep coming back to is a buttplate with a trapdoor in it, milled with a recess in the stock for the elevation slide of the Lyman.

That is unlikely to work with your NECG. Another thought I have had is to have a pouch sewn to the sling (leather) which will hold the aperture slide, or in your case, the NECG. I admire your dedication to using the much better peep sight rather than the open sight, and hope you come up with a good solution. Please keep us posted on what you come up with!

All the best,
John

Posts: 126 | Location: Right here, for now! | Registered: 03 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carried the NECG peep as a backup for years in a pack or coat pocket. Never used it. Now my backup is a spare scope. Haven't used it yet.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely looking sight!

Hope you find a solution. I think the one about a bag in the sling is a good one, but I would put it in a plastic bag and keep it well oiled. Leather tends to cause rust!

Posts: 458 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Standard on older Griffin & Howe sporters with auxiliary Lyman 48 receiver sights was to store the slide in the trap door butt plate. The slides are often still found there.

Posts: 83 | Location: Eastern USA | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put one in a cap box for a muzzleloader once. I’ll try to find pics. I think this was the one I ordered. https://www.trackofthewolf.com....aspx/813/1/PB-ENG-I
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
I put one in a cap box for a muzzleloader once. I’ll try to find pics. I think this was the one I ordered. https://www.trackofthewolf.com....aspx/813/1/PB-ENG-I
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would look into a Talley base and their peep sight. Much smaller and may fit in a hinged grip cap like the one NECG offers.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I had the Talley for one of my rifles and stored it in a trap grip cap, which was also made by Talley.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Some good ideas.... bag on the sling sounds best...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "patchbox" storage would certainly be effective; I doubt I'd use a sling pouch because one often removes the sling if hunting in brush for dangerous game.

If one uses a back up rear sight that clips on the typical higher modern rear base, the front sight often has to be inordinately tall for the irons to work. Besides looking odd, the tall front sight is more vulnerable to damage.

I've come to prefer the typical fold-down vee sight mounted ahead of the scope on the barrel, which sits much lower and doesn't require a tall front. Alternatively, I'll fit a fold-down aperture to the rear scope base. Lyman used to offer a wonderfully light and compact folding aperture that was screwed to the rear base. It had oblong mounting holes that offered enough elevation and windage adjustment to allow sighting in with a front sight of appropriate height. You can't order them, but one will show up for sale now and then.

The above resolves the "too-high front sight" issue, but there still remains the problem of eye alignment with both sighting systems. If your eye is centered in the scope with a proper cheek weld, your face will be mashed into the stock when aligning the irons. I use the obvious solution of not-huge scopes that don't require tall rings. This has worked well for me and is offered to others for what it's worth.

Dave Manson

Posts: 678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lyman used to offer a wonderfully light and compact folding aperture that was screwed to the rear base

I think it was Redfield, called ace in the hole peep. I have one screwed to the rear scope mount of my 30-06. It's mounted with number 2 screws. Irons of any type can be a pain to use with a stock setup for scope use. I now carry a sighted in backup scope. Most of my scopes are mounted of Weaver style bases and use Leupold PRW rings.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am having a .404 Jeffery built and we have an original Jeffery fold-back peep sight to go on the end of the bolt. John McLaughlin (mclaughlinfirearms@gmail.com) of Montana makes a similar sight that does not need to be demounted for scope use. He is on the web.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
When I built my 6.5x57 I used the Talley bases, rings and the aperture sight with the same question as to where i would carry the sight when not in use. When I made the ammo carrier I added a pocket at the end for the sight which has been an effective solution for my purposes.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2681 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I like that Von Gruff!

Are you selling those or just made one for yourself?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I carry mine on my cartridge belt, mine is a Talley for talley bases and its quite small and handy..sometimes I just drop it in my pocket and other times I carry it on my gun and use the scope as the secondary unit and carry it in my day pack..Whatever fits the moment.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote