New
Find
Notify
Tools

ebony wood
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
not sure if this is the right place to ask this but didn't know where else. can someone educate me a little on ebony. which of the varieties is usually the blackest and where are some good sources for it? thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sharon Dressel used to be a good resource for properly dried ebony. There is a pretty decent amount of information here on AR about working with ebony.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can find plenty on EBay

Posts: 3450 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Gabon and maccasar, sometimes used interchangeably. Maccasar may have striped then again maybe not.

I have a few long squares, if you need a piece .

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
the place I got these is gone.

Maccasar
Maccasar
Brown (coverred in wax)
gaboon. (covered in wax)

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys- have any of you experimented with using dye to blacken other species to a black color?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodcraft carries it.

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The biggest thing you need to know about ebony is that it's almost certainly not dry when you get it unless you order it from someone that supplies the gun trade that has made sure it's dry. I've ordered quite a bit on eBay over the years. It comes completely covered in wax. I stick on the shelf and remove the wax from the sides slowly over the course of several years.

Posts: 570 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 91 year old gunsmith friend that has aver 50 Ebony blocks, mostly dark. He’s had them in Southern Ca. Dry enviroment for decades. Any one interested in acquiring some, pm me and I will forward you his contact info.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 91 year old gunsmith friend that has aver 50 Ebony blocks, mostly dark. He’s had them in Southern Ca. Dry environment for decades. Any one interested in acquiring some, pm me and I will forward you his contact info.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNR:
The biggest thing you need to know about ebony is that it's almost certainly not dry when you get it unless you order it from someone that supplies the gun trade that has made sure it's dry. I've ordered quite a bit on eBay over the years. It comes completely covered in wax. I stick on the shelf and remove the wax from the sides slowly over the course of several years.

Smart to buy the shorter lengths...4" or so. It's less expensive and will dry faster. I feel safe in removing all the wax except for the ends. Never had an issue with cracking, checking. etc. I'm talking about 1 -1/2 x 1 1-1/2 stock...bigger stuff would naturally take precautions I guess

Posts: 3450 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
We visited the Beretta factory in Gardone last week.

They had a side lever side by side shotgun there, I believe it was made for a European Formula One driver, with an ebony stock and fore end. No checkering.

The entire gun, both steel and wood, was finished in a high gloss finish. Solid high gloss black. We had to look closely and break it open to confirm it was not all of one piece.

When I did look very closely, I could see tiny, intermittent and faint streaks of brown in the stock. But they were otherwise invisible and the stock was flawless.

The custom shop manager told us the stock alone added €30,000 to the cost.

Ebony is so dense and heavy, he told us they had to drill deep holes in it to get the gun to balance.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13374 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
You might contact Cecil Fredi of Gunstock Blanks on the Internet. Call him. He might have what you are looking for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dye is a no no in most cases, even finish is questionable, the stuff is oily and needs to be de-oiled to start with..a good reason to skip it and it has no usefulness.

Add on such as cheek pieces, for end tips, checkering, and whatever serves no real purpose on a real hunting rifle its been said, I agree up to a point, but I love checkering and actually could do without the rest on a using rifle..but, I seem to weaken at the last minute and add a cheek piece, slight cast off perhaps, butt swivles hidden and on the barrel, short forends stuff like that..Otherwise they don't sell well and look awfull drab!! shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If the stock makers chisels are not sharp enough, the tip of Asian water buffalo horns have been used. Very dark and a little easier to work with.
Cheers Malcolm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has been observed that it's foolish to cut off one piece of wood just to add another.

But...does look nice and if you want a practical reason... does seal the end grain.

Buff horn is very traditional...I have several pieces, but most are impossible to use due to the size of the cavity...sure does raise hell with chisles and when all done, all but impossible tell from ebony.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adding an Ebony tip allows you to use all those nice high grade blanks that no-one wants because they are too short or have defects.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote