THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    8x57 Mannlicher Finally Finished!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8x57 Mannlicher Finally Finished!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Previous Posts

Okay, I got my checkered stock back from Custom Diamonds today. They did a fantastic job on the checkering, they even sealed the new checkering.

The rifle started as a 1916 Spandau Gew98. I bought it as a sporterized 30-06. Tip Burns rebarreled to a 8x57 and did all of the metal work.

I sent a piece of Utah Black Walnut off to Al Lind to get a semi-inlet blank. I finished in-letting the stock (it was a complete rework of the exterior), added the buttplate, grip cap, nose cap, front loop, and bedding it. After finishing it, I sent off to Custom Diamonds.

Along it's way, from when it started in the fiberglass stock in Summer of 2011, it has taken an Elk (son), Red Deer (son), Waterbuck, Impala, and a few hogs.

Here you go!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3019 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
A rifle to be rightly proud of!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7507 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I like it, thanks for sharing.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle, and a great caliber also.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Nice work, all-around great caliber, the one that will do it all.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Mighty nice!

I have a piece of fantastic wood, mannlicher length and I've been meaning to do a project like this for quite some time now.

I appreciate the inspiration!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2308 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Now I need an exact copy in 9.3x62 Smiler

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3019 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Holy Molly!!! What a beautiful rifle,,,I'm envious!!1

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1407 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle! I've got a soft spot for full stocks - especially in a classic Euro caliber like that.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great rifle in a great caliber. And the checkering is awesome. Good hunting with that rifle.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle. Now all you need is one of Jim Kobe's 2 position M70 style side safeties and your good to go!

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Next M98 based rifle I build will have a side safety, but probably three position.

My favorite is the original Mauser safety, but really doesn't work with a scoped rifle unless you stick the scope abnormally high. Though, with some of the crazy scopes that people mount on a Mauser, that might be ok!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
After reading your load data post today I had to search and find the rifle.

A job well done is an under statement!!!!!

Posts: 1440 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
quote:
My favorite is the original Mauser safety, but really doesn't work with a scoped rifle unless you stick the scope abnormally high.

Try mauser sniper safety. It works just opposite way as the ordinary.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got an FN24 action and a Wisner Oberndorf style bottom metal seasoning. Been planning on a Mauser Type "M" in 9x57 for years now. If mine turns out half as nice as yours, I'll be very please. That's one beautiful rifle! Thanks for sharing!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3271 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
PacNor has a new 9.3x57 reamer.

They installed a barrel for me a few years ago, on a FN Mauser action and it has been very sweet to shoot. They make the barrel contour any way you want too.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
PacNor has a new 9.3x57 reamer.

They installed a barrel for me a few years ago, on a FN Mauser action and it has been very sweet to shoot. They make the barrel contour any way you want too.

KB

Thanks for the info.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3271 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
You should probably be informed that the chamber they cut is with a C.I.P. specs reamer. It seems to me now that anything else just wouldn't be correct. My thoughts at the time were --- what the heck, I wanted the chambering in a NEW barrel, and didn't want to buy an old rifle or buy the reamer, so I took a chance and went with the reamer that PacNor bought.

As it worked out, I can seat the Speer 270 gr bullets way out there, with the base of the bullet flush with where the neck meets the shoulder, and stuff the case with 4064.

Um, umm, umph !!!

4895 and 250 gr Nosler BT or Accubonds - yes.

250 gr Swifts, and 286 Norma, and 285 Prvi, and Lapua Megas

It would be practically impossible to choose, if I didn't have so many Speer 270 gr.

What a combo. Yesterday aftenoon and again this morning I found where the hogs have been rooting. It's just a matter of time before we connect in the right spot -- and the wrong one for them. The great thing about hog hunting is that it's best after deer season is over, and I have the woods to myself - just me and the hogs.

BTW, A.H., your post showing that beautiful 8x57 inspired me to fondle my 8x57 today. Big Grin
I had it built on a CZ 550 action, and again PacNor did the barrel.

KB

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words ColoradoMatt and Woodhunter.

Was working on resizing ad cleaning up some 8x57 brass tonight.

And Kabluewy, I have a 9.3x57 as well. I posted some reload data on the Reloading forum a few days ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2757 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
superb.

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My usual question when I meet someone who has something truly beautiful. Does she have a sister?

Posts: 9944 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
No sister unless I make my 9.3x62 a Mannlicher, but I really want the 24" barrel on it.