New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knowledge Sharing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I hesitate to post this for fear of slighting those I leave out, but I just want to express my appreciation for all the knowledge that has been shared over the years by Duane Wiebe, D'Arcy Echols, Stuart Satterlee, Tom Jackson, James Anderson and all the other smiths. They give so much more than they receive!

Posts: 709 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Add Steve Bertram & Nathaniel Myers to that list. They are both extremely knowledgeable and helpful professionals.

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's really nice! THANK YOU! My hat's off to Tom...bottomless fountain of history and insight

Posts: 3433 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And as of late the videos by MNR have been fantastic. Thank you. Another guy that really deserves thanks is Les Brooks. He had a thread on here showing how he made a stock by hand from start to finish. Thanks again Les.

KJK

Posts: 676 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To all the above and those not mentioned yet, thank you for improving my skills and sharing your knowledge. I would like to add Dave Westbrook to the list.

Posts: 1122 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All that shared knowledge are simoply passing on knowledge from those who shared before

Posts: 3433 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s too bad Speerchucker isn’t around anymore

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to have a hide as thick as a rhinoceros once you put yourself out there, because some keyboard warrior will eventually destroy your willingness to share.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hang in there guys. There is a pandemic out there..it's called dumbass. Probably not going away soon.

Posts: 709 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks! I’m a bit embarrassed to be classed with that group, they are all FAR and above my skill level!

I would especially like to thank Duane for all the time he has taken to share his knowledge over the years. I wouldn’t be where I am today without him. Thank you sir!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1468 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to add my thanks to all above for the knowledge and insight that is shared.

Being a huge fan of Mauser actions, I especially appreciate Tom’s comments and broad knowledge of these actions. He tells it like it is, whether you agree or not.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am very thankful for the knowledge shared on this forum as well. Some of you have inspired passively me with your own work while others have actively mentored me a great deal. I call D'Arcy about once an hour with questions.

My only bone to pick is that, thanks to these posts, I now have two lathes, a Bridgeport and a shop full of tools...I blame you guys for my disease!

Posts: 983 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:
I am very thankful for the knowledge shared on this forum as well. Some of you have inspired passively me with your own work while others have actively mentored me a great deal. I call D'Arcy about once an hour with questions.

My only bone to pick is that, thanks to these posts, I now have two lathes, a Bridgeport and a shop full of tools...I blame you guys for my disease!

Ah, so that’s why when I call him he answers the phone “WHAT NOW?!?” Ha!!!!

I too have learned a hell of a lot from the builders and others on this forum. From DArcy, I’ve learned just how hard to throw something to make it over the fence…..ha!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:

Ah, so that’s why when I call him he answers the phone “WHAT NOW?!?” Ha!!!!

I too have learned a hell of a lot from the builders and others on this forum. From DArcy, I’ve learned just how hard to throw something to make it over the fence…..ha!

Ha! Someone could build a safe full of rifles if they drained that retention pond...

Posts: 983 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Ha!!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for mentioning my name, but I am from the old school of Gunsmithing and have never had the modern machines with the digital controls. I got started back in 1961 to learn this trade after much reading of books and trying to get help from gunsmiths at that time. We didn't know what a PC was and the older gunsmiths did not want others to know how to make custom rifles for hunting. I decided to go to Trinidad and learn how to become a gunsmith.
You may know that the school was setup as 3 semesters of study per year with 6 semesters to finish with the Associate Degree in Applied Science of Gunsmithing. I was the first student allowed to finish in 5 quarters at that time. We had to take college courses that could be transferred to a 4 yr school along with the gunsmithing classes. The school has changed so much now by having to learn only gunsmith classes if that is the way of your choice. The school has gone down hill in the teaching mostly of how to run machines. My thoughts were to be able to do stocks and metal. When I sold my own shop in 1991 and went back to TSJC to sell books and parts. My original instructors had retired and they came to the RV park to visit and discuss the school. They wanted me to come back and teach stockmaking classes. Ed Shulin was retiring in Dec. "92 and the State of Colorado would send out requests for an instructor. We were back in Texas in Oct. 92 when I got the notice. I learned that about 15 people had sent this application to the State and only three met the requirements. Two of us were called in Dec. 3 1992 for the interview in front of 8 board members. After the interview an instructor came by the RV park and said I would know something the next day. This position called for a visit to the school President the next day. I learned that I would be the instructor and it took a while for the report to come back from the FBI for my OK.
I know this may be boring to some of you, but I have never told my story before. I am not able to do work, but would like for some to know what happened a way back when in the early '90's. The articles that I written about were of my experiences. The DVD that is available now has most projects with a how to do things with pictures for the beginners to see. I hope that my methods will help some to get started in Gunsmithing of custom rifles for hunting.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wow; thanks. But really I am not qualified to clean chips off those other guy's lathes. My advantage is that I am totally unencumbered by any formal training. Believe it or not, they don't teach Army Cols to do anything of practical value. But if you need your Heavy Brigade Combat Team taken into action, call me.

Posts: 17031 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I am friends with quite a few highly talented and well known gunsmiths. Some are great machinists, others wizards at CNC, and others just patient,careful craftsmen who understand guns and work primarily with hand tools.

I even heard a rumor that one of the late, great Mauser experts had trouble reading a micrometer ! But his work is still held in the highest regard.

Thanks to everyone here who shares their knowledge!

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4186 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's funny! I find myself REAL used to digital stuff, My old depth mike makes me grumble a bit when it's use is mandated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A great big AMEN!

I have learned an awful lot from the great men who post their skills and help here, forever beholden.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have benefited from all the knowledge on this forum. Having had a successful career in the machining industry as well as a second in teaching machining to high school kids I can assure you that the reason these talented gentlemen share so much is because of the self confidence they have.
Sharing your knowledge with others enables you to live on in the general scheme of things. I just wanted to express my gratitude to all the contributors here.

Posts: 66 | Location: central Va. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt, this is the best place for high end gun information on the planet.

I’ve paid over time at least 10 guns, without the seller knowing me in person, 100% on the belief that I am a stand up guy.

At least three of those rifle that I put on layaway, and before I paid them off, as well as another that had $800 worth of gunsmith work, were sent to me before they were even paid off.

There is also a member here who knows my enthusiasm for double rifles, that offered to send me my first double rifle, a $10,000 gun, for me to shoot and keep, with the agreement that I pay it off in a year.

This is by far the best shooting forum in the world. I have some friends that would front me $10,000, but that was over the top.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a better person because of the association with great people on this site and have received loads of great information (and entertainment) from many.
The two I've had the pleasure to speak with on the phone are Duane Wiebe and Dave Westbrook (RIP). Both awesome!

Thank you,
Zeke