New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom v/s off the shelf
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Apart from asthetics and getting what you want in a rifle and functionality meaning reliable feeding etc. I believe accuracy is another big factor for people ordering custom rifles. But with most modern production rifles shooting <1 MOA these days, why spend the big bucks on a custom rifle, especially when looking at synthetic stocked rifles! Just to give an example a Gunwerks rifle that costs several thousand v/s say a Tikka that costs in the hundreds! Is there any practical benefit other than pride of ownership! Just wondering.

Posts: 2531 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be caught dead in the field with an off the rack rifle. Nor a common round like a 30-06 or Heaven Forbid, a 270.
The plastic Wal Mart rifles to which you refer, are for the peasants to hunt with.
One of those things; if you have to ask.....

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own top quality off the shelf stuff like blaser r8 and k95.

I can swap barrels, stocks, triggers and scope without needing a gunsmith.

I would like custom rifles but having to go to ups to ship for any service got me switching to blasers.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I wouldn't be caught dead in the field with an off the rack rifle. Nor a common round like a 30-06 or Heaven Forbid, a 270.
The plastic Wal Mart rifles to which you refer, are for the peasants to hunt with.
One of those things; if you have to ask.....

My "go to" rifle is a 270 I built I 1986. Second barrel and third scope...Checkering is....well..."flat top" by now.. Have no idea how many pronghorns and deer I harvested. Not to mention elk and porkers So..Whats the issue with a a cartridge that been doing yoeman service for about 85 years? Not starting a fight in a telephone booth...just curious.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arjun,
I am all over the place on this topic.
I have several Winchester Model 70's that shoot sub MOA. I have several Blaser's that shoot 1/2" MOA. I have a couple of customs that shoot 1/2" MOA. I have had several semi-customs that shoot MOA or less.

I have shot a lot of stuff. Most is 200 yards or less, so 2 MOA is fine.

I like anything that is accurate and trustable.

Honestly, my Blaser's are extremely reliable. I have had zero issues. I have had a couple of issues with the Model 70's but nothing serious.
My customs, if I have them built, have been flawless.

I am currently not in the used custom market. I have found that some of the used customs were being sold for a reason. So, I have sold all of my used Beisen's and several others you would know. Even parted with my Jerry Smith's.

I found that the newer customs and my Blaser's are more accurate. No offense intended to any custom maker.

Lastly, as much as I admire Saeed's shooting of his custom Dakota in a wildcat, that is one butt ugly gun. I just can't hunt with a gun that ugly.... when I have the option of hunting with a stunningly good looking gun that shoots!

rotflmo

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fact is that the components get better and better whether applied to a factory or custom,. I feel that's the main reason we have seen more easily obtained accuracy goals,

But...in the real world of hunting....your harvest won't change a bit between a 1/2 incher and and a 1 incher..the difference is simply between the ears

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
This my favorite custom rifle and it's target.

It started off as a $49.99 mosin nagant and was re-barreled using McGowen to 9.3x62.

Walnut stock was put on by a friendly gunsmith. Metal work done by another friendly gunsmith.

Why do I use it because it has a high CDI factor.

CDI is the most important factor in a custom rifle.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
On a more serious note, it's all about what gives you pleasure spending your money on.

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Hunting is not about the gun, or bow.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
On a more serious note, it's all about what gives you pleasure spending your money on.

That!!

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First off what is the definition of a custom.

99% of my rifles have some modifications from factory could just be simple like a trigger job to new barrels, stocks ect.

So in the simplest definition I do my shooting with mostly custom rifles.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Oh P Dog that is a can of worms

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
all you have to do is look down half a dozen posts and look a the kobe rifle that should answernyour question of which you would prefee to own

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
all you have to do is look down half a dozen posts and look a the kobe rifle that should answernyour question of which you would prefee to own

There are many variations. of custom.

Here is what the dictionary says.

custom adjective
Definition of custom (Entry 2 of 2)
1: made or performed according to personal order
2: specializing in custom work or operation

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

show us some pics of your custom arsenal stir

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1827 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arjun,
I think your example of Gunwerks vs Tikka is a good one. I'm not knocking Gunwerks, I actually think they're a great company that makes an exceptional rifle (with a great marketing team Smiler But there's much less of a gap between those two makers than there would be say between a Kobe built rifle vs an off the shelf Ruger which is night and day. Gunwerks' selling point isn't aesthetics or that they're hand crafted to the customer's specs so it really does just come down to accuracy and there's a heck of a lot of off-the-shelf rifles that are pretty darn accurate these days.
Personally I would still rather own the Gunwerks. But I like nice rifles. On the other hand I drive a 98 Chevy pickup that gets me from point A to B and can't understand why anyone would buy a new $80k pickup to do the same thing Smiler

Posts: 559 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Hunting is not about the gun, or bow.

That is not entirely true.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

show us some pics of your custom arsenal stir

Not much to see on the out side most have glass bedding most have after market Tigger's most have non wood stocks.

The best walnut I have is a factory stock on Mid 70's number one

Not much for wood stocks.

A few have after market barrels.

Again define custom.

Does my stainless Ruger 416Tayor meet the bill

Action trued and smoothed Douglas barrel Glass bedded with weight added into a black factory stock, after market trigger.

Shoots 3 different bullet weights into one ragged hole

Or my 98 with a Kevlar stock 27 in barrel in 338.06 after market trigger and safety.

Custom bolt handle drilled and tapped for scope.

Wow and I paid the pricey sum of 200.00 dollars at a gun show because no one wanted a wild cat and a Kevlar stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This question is about like asking why the owner a 66 Mustang would spend $100,000 plus to create a resto-mod when he could spent less than $50,000 for a new Mustang. Its all about what floats your boat.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have custom rifles, but my go to hunting rifle for the NA continent is a blueless (worn) pre 64 fwt win. in 30-06 with a drifwood stock it appears..Ive never parted with it because nobody in their right mind would want it!!but I will never part with it..MY go to African rifle was a Haugh .338 Win in about the same shape.

I like both, as long as they shoot little groups and most loads to the same POI...so custom or off the shelf makes no difference to me, every gun is an individual and some catch my eye and billfold and some regardless of price do not..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote