New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you were going to
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
have a custom rifle built in 358 Norma Mag which of these actions would you use>

1. An Older Interarms action marked Mark X that currently has its original 7mm Rem Mag Barrel.

2. A Sears Model 50 (FN) action that is currently a 30-06

3. An oldder Winchester Model 70 Classic that is currently a .300 Win Mag.

4. An FN marked 98 Mauser that is currently an original 8 mm mauser.

5. Sell one of my g.33/40 actions and buy something else?

KJK

Posts: 676 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1 with a rebore and perhaps some feed work.

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1 yes, the others need a lot of work to get it to feed/function. However, the FN's would be classic

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Rebore the .300 Win Mag Model 70. You shouldn't need to do any feed work.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Use the Model 70; no rebores; get a new barrel.
But any of the Mausers can be made to work also; it's not that hard. But the MKX will require no work.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
No love for the 1917 Enfield/Remington Model 30 Express?

Posts: 7467 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had my 7mm Remington Magnum Model 77 Ruger rebored and rechambered to .358 Norma Magnum. It functions beautifully, with no corrective action neccessary to get it to feed flawlessly.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Mr. KOLO_PAN.
Did you abandon your FS in the classifieds for the Model 50? It would be nice if you could follow up to the replies to that thread and any others if you have them. Thanks.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I used a Sako L61R and rebarreled with a factory Sako profile barrel from Lilja at 26".

Why? Nordic round, Nordic rifle company. And it holds 4 down. Also replicated the factory stock and lengthened the pull in a plain piece of walnut.

No rear sight, Sako didn't install them at the time. Recommended a rear peep sight.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XnuJRJvrmVVV3Fhq8

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger No. 1 in 358 Norma Mag that was a rebore 7mm Mag. The contour is a bit light, good for hunting, rough from bench.
I bought it this way in the early 80’s.

In your case #1 or #3

M

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,t part with the G33/40s first and foremost.. I would use a 98 Mauser of good quality over the FNs for any magnum caliber...A 1908, 1909 WDM. any one of a number of good Mausers..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote