New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brno 9.3x62mm
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a Brno 22 in 8x57mm a few years ago and had JES rebore and rechamber it to 9.3x62mm and had a little stock work done but before I could finish it up I needed some quick cash so I sold it and have regretted it ever since. I just bought another Brno 22 in 8x57mm except this one has the grooves flat top receiver. I am sending it to JES and then to Ahlman’s and have them add a red recoil pad, cross bolts and an ebony forend tip in the British style. While they have it I will get them to replace the bolt shroud with a Wisner 2 position safety. I am going to mount a Burris 1 3/4x5 scope in Talley QD rings. Hopefully this will reduce my regret and fulfill my lust for a 9.3x62 that I have always needed anyway. Hopefully I will hang on to this one

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Sent a PM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a hard time understanding why you would want to replace the BRNO 2 position safety with a Wisner. I have always felt that the Wisner version was more open to the elements and in some circumstances could lead to water seeping inside the bolt.

I have replaced the BRNO safety, too, but only with a Model 70 Winchester type 3 position safety, which is much more weatherproof.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
I have a hard time understanding why you would want to replace the BRNO 2 position safety with a Wisner. I have always felt that the Wisner version was more open to the elements and in some circumstances could lead to water seeping inside the bolt.

I have replaced the BRNO safety, too, but only with a Model 70 Winchester type 3 position safety, which is much more weatherproof.

Agreed about 2 pos safeties. Montana, snow creeped into the shroud and froze the works up solid. Mostly my fault for inattention , I think

Posts: 3450 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the original Brno shroud is available for sale I would be a buyer. I think they are just nearly perfection.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only reason for the Wisner 2 position was that I found one at a good price locally. I am still in the look out for a Dakota 3 position though. Thanks for letting me know of the issues with the 3 position. I had not heard that before

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by disassembly:
When the original Brno shroud is available for sale I would be a buyer. I think they are just nearly perfection.

If you mean the one with the small flag on the L.side of the sleeve, I have one

Posts: 3450 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have experience with this 3 position version?
http://pacifictoolandgauge.com...fety-shroud-kit.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't Mr. Wisner currently marketing a 3 position safety for Mauser type actions.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn’t someone make a 3 position safety for a right hand rifle that was on the left side of the bolt? Or can I just use a regular left hand safety?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Satterlee was making one, don't know if he still is. Recnagel also makes one.

Posts: 425 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pacecars:
Didn’t someone make a 3 position safety for a right hand rifle that was on the left side of the bolt? Or can I just use a regular left hand safety?

Threads are different, right vs left

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
quote:
Originally posted by pacecars:

Threads are different, right vs left

Yeah, but there were one or two makers that put the lever on the left side for a right handed bolt. Can't remember who at the moment.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stuart Saterlee.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes, correct. What I meant was you can't put a LH safety on a right hand bolt

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can one of Stuart's. Threaded correctly and uses a shortened bolt lock spring.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto with Recknagel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're missing my point, a true LH safety, not the left hand lever, will not screw onto a right hand bolt. A LH safety with a left hand lever will.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got it. That is what I was thinking that a right hand bolt needed a “right” hand safety whether the wing is on the right or left

one of us
posted Hide Post
Having owned a few Brnos mod 21 and 22, a couple of which are rebored or rechambered..ONe a 7x57 and a 9.3x62 switch barrel with beautiful Russian walnut.

I found using the original safety and modidfy the lever by adding a round bar protusion only to make purchase of the safety more easily found and operated, but not changing the original profile is my favorite touch..simply enlarge the rounded cross bar that exists with a larger one of the same...

Presently I have an 8x57 very collectable mod 22 manlicher with a rib..I also have a mod. 21 in 8mm-06 Ackley Imp..that Im fond of, but its a pain to fire form a couple of hundred cases but once done its probably worth the effort..

As to the Brno 21s and 22s I consider them the best of commercial rifles in existent but they sure have increased in price over the years, today $1400 seems to be the starting price.

My favorite was the 9.3x62 X 7x57 without a doubt..the 9.3x62 was an original Brno mod 21 carbine barrel in 8x57, and the 7x57 was on the gun...Amazing is both barrels fitted the channel perfectly without any inletting,and shot to the same POI, Kudos to the early Brnos.

Good luck with your 9.3x62 the perfect big bore for a small ring action..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote