New
Find
Notify
Tools

Straddle Floorplate question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I see installation of a Straddle Floorplate is relatively common on custom bolt action magazine rifles. Attempting to research any particular advantage of this floorplate style has not been productive with info. All of my personal rifles have standard, non- straddle floorplates which have never once given me any concerns or problems. So, could the experts here please educate me on what I don't know about Straddle Floorplates ?
Cheers

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2016 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I presumed it was that the extra metal would prevent some dirt from getting into the magazine.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks cool, Mauser did it on the magnum models. No other reason I can see.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does serve the "advantage" of positioning the floorplate precisely at both ends..Anyone that's handled a few M-70's will see what I mean

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Duane Wiebe (CG&R)
posted 21 August 2022 03:20
Does serve the "advantage" of positioning the floorplate precisely at both ends..Anyone that's handled a few M-70's will see what I mean

Would you mind providing more detail please ? I think I see how straddle floorplate positioning would be more precise ( since the floorplate rear cannot move beyond nor on tangent to the trigger guard ) but how does that bear on what the M70 has ?

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2016 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If shaped correctly, it could provide downward pressure on the floorplate latch, reducing the
play between floorplate and latch and the chance that a heavy recoiling cartridge would dump the contents of the magazine on the ground.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always figured they covered up inletting corner mistakes, and they do that very well, but I suspect Duane was closer to the bullseye than the rest of us..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote