THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Opinion on Remington custom shop?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion on Remington custom shop?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any one have an opinion or experience with the Remington Custom Shop rifles? Pro or con?

Accurate, well made?

Thanks

Posts: 10079 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 40x rifles I had exhibited good quality and shot very well. Other custom shop guns I have handled had good fit and finish as well. Good stuff all in all.

Posts: 3059 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
No flies on them. Their "production custom shop" guns of yore probably leave something to be desired. I had a late 90's Alaska Guide Rifle that was accurate but I felt it could have been better.

Their move into the Dakota factory should mean they can produce a good product (I hope).

A new rifle built by them would be the equal of anyone else's abilities.

There are a huge quantity of gunsmiths in Sturgis for some reason. I feel like most of them worked for Don Allen.

I'd buy current production, and if I could get a Ilion rifle for a good price I'd consider it.

Saying that there are a ton of gunsmiths in the world, depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the same money you can get a superior rifle from several custom builders.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had 5-6 Remington Custom Shop rifles...mostly KS Mountain Rifles or Alaskan Wilderness Rifles. I get them used for $1,500 or less, and they're very easy to get shooting under 1/2". One of my favorites.

Posts: 20065 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was wrong, same as Bieber it was the KS Mountain rifle. I had forgot they changed the name.

The stock was interesting. I am not sure what the process was but it felt like pantyhose suspended in epoxy. Kind of rough on the cheek, but a tough rifle.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a custom shop 504, 22 RF
It has very high end wood, fit and finish great. It’s very accurate but has some extraction issues.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
For the same money you can get a superior rifle from several custom builders.

I think that applies to any factory custom. However, I would say in general the factory one has much better and quicker resale. That is my experience with Weatherby Custom Shop stuff.

The same thing (at least in Australia) applies to cars.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want the Rem. 700 platform. They are nice rifles. The attention to detail is much better than off the shelf production and rightly so.
I had a Rem. Custom shop in walnut and blued steel, in 250-3000, right handed hence the reason for selling it. Got $1,800 for it in mint condition.
I currently have a Rem. Custom shop left hand 22-250 with heavy barrel and Mcmillan stock, single shot. It is well built, smooth and accurate.
They are fairly priced for what they are. Nothing wrong with getting a used one. There are many 700 clone manufacturers, custom gunshops and gunsmiths that specialize in that platform, they produce quality products. It all depends on how extensive your needs are and how deep you are willing to dig in your pocket book. Best of luck to you.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

If this were true there would be no market for the scores of very talented gunsmiths/makers.

When I put my name on a barrel, it's a completely different level of attention to detail than the work I did working at DakArms. The difference is rarely noticed as so many think a custom rifle is just a list of options.

IMG_2832sharpyoutube by JAMES ANDERSON, on Flickr

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1827 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
quote:

If this were true there would be no market for the scores of very talented gunsmiths/makers.

When I put my name on a barrel, it's a completely different level of attention to detail than the work I did working at DakArms. The difference is rarely noticed as so many think a custom rifle is just a list of options.

IMG_2832sharpyoutube by JAMES ANDERSON, on Flickr

Being fortunate of having a couple of your rifles tells me the Remington Shop Rifles are not even close to the same league.
Big Wonderful Wyoming, Lots of glass stock rifle builders out their build as good or better rifle for a much lower price point.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think BWW was making a joke, no?

Posts: 704 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you are taking it personal, it wasn't meant as a knock against any smith. I was just saying the Remington Custom shop could build pretty much anything a Remington fan could desire.

They also do it in wood, not just fiberglass.

I think Toyota makes the best vehicles made at any reasonable price, there leaves a lot of external need or want on the table for someone who needs a 1 ton, or a full size van as Toyota doesn't do that.

I would also state that I don't consider Dakota/Remington custom shop to be the be all end all of custom rifles.

They have to operate within the confines of what a 700 is or a Dakota.

Someone like Stu that is building an action from scratch, or someone who can put 160 hours in a stock will have a hell of a lot higher attention to detail than someone who is working within the confines of a company that has to turn a profit.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I was just responding to what you wrote.

quote:

equal???
really???

Dakota/Rem custom shop make a very serviceable product. I've got nothing against them or the other custom production shops. They just have more people to pay for each rifle that's shipped.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1827 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope:
I think BWW was making a joke, no?

They make a nice rifle, but of course they aren't going to spend 30 hours of file work to make something perfect.

They will do 90% of what anyone else is going to do to a 700. You really pay for that extra 10%.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Alaskan wilderness rifle made by Remington custom shop in 7mm Remington. Damn nearly 17 year back I backstopped their bond offering - 2003 in a different crisis. Tommy Milner who ran Remington and later ran Cabellas sold me the gun for his purchase cost.

The rifle is very accurate and has a tight chamber - picky on hand loads.

I personally don’t care for Remington rifles. I would much rather have another blaser barrel.

The gun is lights and accurate - shots .75 moa. Just does nothing for me.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
I have Alaskan wilderness rifle made by Remington custom shop in 7mm Remington. Damn nearly 17 year back I backstopped their bond offering - 2003 in a different crisis. Tommy Milner who ran Remington and later ran Cabellas sold me the gun for his purchase cost.

I personally don’t care for Remington rifles. I would much rather have another blaser barrel.

Mike

No soul... in that gun.

Posts: 10079 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Mike

No soul... in that gun.

I don’t like Remington triggers and safety. The gun is well built and light and damn accurate.

I also comp everything to the blaser r8 and it’s not a r8.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beretta,
I agree. Can’t get excited about a Rem when I can shoot an R8

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 416 from the custom shop a number of year back. The gun looked good and shot good.

I had issues with the safety and the trigger. When working the bolt quickly, the safety tended to cut my hand open. After several rounds, the trigger would cut an unprotected finger.

Posts: 11902 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I personally don’t care for Remington rifles.

Yep, that's me. tu2

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Isn't Remington in the middle of bankruptcy hearings? Might not be the best place to park a gun deposit right now.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Isn't Remington in the middle of bankruptcy hearings? Might not be the best place to park a gun deposit right now.

Yeah!
Last time I checked, Rem's Dakota Arms custom shop was backed up 18 months for rifles and
would not even take my order for custom 870 Wingmaster.
Probably not a good place to park a deposit until new owner of custom shop is settled.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a few and my experience was accurate but with feed issues. I usually put one round less than capacity in it to make it feed reliably. I returned to Remington and spent a lot with my gunsmith trying to get them to feed. If I remember correctly you had to get a higher grade to get a steel floor plate. The basic models were either blind magazines or the BDL type aluminum which I didn’t care for. The early ones were rumored to use Hart barrels but who knows for sure. I had one in 416 Remington I just could not trust to feed.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I know you well enough dogcat to say its still a Remington, and ho-hum by custom rifle standards in your tastes...but that's just my personal opinion..Nice guns but no ceeegar!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, thanks - you are correct. I have passed on a couple that tempted me as they "are still Remingtons".

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Remington custom shop, much like the old Winchester custom shop. They are not peddling exceptional workmanship; only non-standard features.The workmanship is generally what one should receive in a standard rifle. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3472 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And they don't have the resale value of a true custom rifle, but then most custom rifles have poor resale value, just that Win. and rem custom shops have even less...Rem is a push feed, and like it or not buyers of custom rifles, as a rule, want the control feed rifle..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote