Find
Notify
Tools

Re: DIY piecemeal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
My buddy is handy and has a few gadgets he's made over the years. This started as an FN Magnum Mauser. We are going to fire up the steamer (one of these days) to rust blue a few projects.

dpcd did the metal work, Doug barrel, sights, etc.. It's spot on with scope and irons.

Buddy found the stock on the net. It was to have a neidner buttplate but the stock is too wide so he went with a rubber recoil pad that he curved to fit. The widows peak is filled with black epoxy.

Ahlmans checkering.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it !

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I like it too; not sure about that pad though!
Beautiful checkering.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
It was to have a neidner buttplate but the stock is too wide so he went with a rubber recoil pad that he curved to fit.

That's easy enough to fix if you are handy with a rasp!

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
He didn't want to thin out the butt. The stock was a left over from gunstock.com (GAG?)

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
nice checkering -- what caliber?

stock looks like a great american gunstocks' oberndorf classic, but, honestly, it looks way better than what Henry used to make , and way WAY WAY more svelte - GAG's stocks were notorious for being THICK, some say like 1/8 too wide on both sides .. I know i have spent hours with rasp and file on them

cheers

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stopped off at Ahlman's last week and asked if Carol was there, apparently she no longer is.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
375 HH

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is very bad news; she told me last fall that she was going to retire but she has said that before.
I have a stock ready for them; I hope she trained someone else.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
And speaking of GAG, and the crook who took over the "inventory"; he cheated a friend out of $200; sent him a piece of plain maple and wouldn't take it back. I told him to burn it; not worth my time putting metal in it .

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner.

So all that matters is that you like it.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
And speaking of GAG, and the crook who took over the "inventory"; he cheated a friend out of $200; sent him a piece of plain maple and wouldn't take it back. I told him to burn it; not worth my time putting metal in it .

People that shop only price get what they pay for

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, a dead plain maple semi inletted stock is not $200 in any universe. I didn't mention that the picture showed a walnut stock; he lost that one. He talked to the guy several times.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Who is/was the crook ?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The guy that ended up with all of GAGs inventory after the fire; forgot his name.
He sold my friend a walnut stock; they talked about it several times, and apparently "lost" that one; delivered a plain maple one instead. Wouldn't take it back. Doesn't matter now; I should not have said anything about it. He is deployed for a year now, anyway. Where? A place that is 100% sand.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!

For the recoil pad to metal:

1) I have some old take action metal buttplates if you want to see if they would work. One is pretty wide, not sure about the height.

2) Maybe Duane's metal buttplates might be big enough.

3) You could probably just shape some metal to fit the stock and have it checkered.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I stopped off at Ahlman's last week and asked if Carol was there, apparently she no longer is.

I did not talk to Carol personally but talked to Stacey a couple weeks ago. Carol had given me an estimate on converting a stock from pressed checkering to cut checkering and was given 4-6 weeks turn around. I sent it to them about 2 weeks ago. ???

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
The Maple checkering was done over the holidays. It didn't take all that long, maybe 3 weeks, I'll find out for sure. I remember he told him to go with 18lpi.

That GAG Maple stock was the second one delivered to my buddy, the first was walnut and was warped.

Even with the rubber, after 10 shots my buddy was done.