THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Pre-64 win 70 featherweight 243 value?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 win 70 featherweight 243 value?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So a local shop has an old pre-64 featherweight 243 on the used shelf. Slick action, nice shape. Replacement, poorly finished stock and borescope shows a very poor bore condition for the first 3" of rifling, a lot of fire cracking and eroded lands in the throat.

Action is clean and cycles like it should, meaning smooth as hell. What is the value on the actions now? Just curious as I don't need another project, but I keep thinking about the damnded thing.

One thought was to rebore/rifle to 6.5, 308, or even a 358 if that muzzle is big enough and make a nice hunter out of it, but I just can't come up with a winning purchase amount that would make it worth it.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to GunsInternational.com and search pre-'64 M70s. There are bunches and bunches for sale. Condition determines value & well used M70s don't bring much. I've paid as little as $600 for a pre-war M70 in .30-06 with a good action but other problems. I'd be reluctant to pay much more than $600 to $750 for a M70 action, but the gun shop owner is bound to want much more for the shot-out M70. Unfortunately, the glory days of M70s and M12s have come and gone, the exception being rare or pristine pieces.

Posts: 474 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just sent payment for one, $600

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I’m still hesitant on it and they’re asking $700...I was thinking $500 would be top end. We’ll see what they say.

Matt

One of Us
Picture of tom mason
posted Hide Post
I normally sell standard (30.06) for $650.
Standard magnums (264/338) for $750
Long magnums (300H&H/375) for $850.
Fwts usually sell for at least $600 because of the aluminum bottom metal.

Posts: 1117 | Location: Moore, Okla. | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I buy mod. 70s for $500 to $600 in very good condition at local gun show every year..Your buying a action, only, Id say $400 to perhaps $500 tops..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yes. $700 is too much. Pitting absent, $500 is more like it. Nice prospect for a dandy .338 Federal. Might need to open up the ramp a little. But, maybe not.

Ditto to what Atkinson said. $450-ish for a 1948 to 1963 one as you described. 1946-47 transitional models (clamshell top safety lever) seem to be slower movers because of the safety. Not sure what earlier ones are bringing.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I ended up with it...traded 3000+ rounds of Russian surplus 5.45x39 ammo I had $340 invested in andno use for. Talked myself into it...now to decide on a good caliber for another hunting rifle...

As an aside, factory stock was refinished and in the process checkering was sanded off completely along with stock shortened and a red pad installed along with two diamond inlays added to the buttstock on each side...other than that slick action and I’m looking forward to building a nice little sporter. Thinking of 6mm Rem or a 250 Savage but I’m still brainstorming.

Matt

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
perfect platform for a wicked 358 winchester - my own tiny 358 is a mexican mauser, soda straw 20" barrel, and a repurposed 96 weight plastic stock... and remington sights + rem. bolt handle and timney trigger.. it's a dream to carry, accurate through 4 shots (5th is always a flyer due to heat) and hits piggies like a brick

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38451 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
358 was on the list as was the 284, but I have both already, the 358 in a BLR that shoots great. Going to have to think this one over a bit. Came with a Kassnar 4x scope which I kind of like, old Japan glass but still clear and in good shape.

Matt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Everybody needs a 308.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
"Everybody needs a 308."

Indeed. And a M70 Fwt makes a very good hunting .308.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a 308 m70 pf too...fthwt bbl profile (youth) in a fthwt stock. Shoots really well with 150gr Lapua Mega’s.

Matt

one of us
posted Hide Post
So here’s my latest plan, replace the internal box for a full length and follower, duplicate contour and chamber for 7x57 and make a stock similar to Jack O’connor’s Sheep rifle #2 and top with a plain 4x scope.

Matt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
turned mine into 6.5 x55

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
So here’s my latest plan, replace the internal box for a full length and follower, duplicate contour and chamber for 7x57 and make a stock similar to Jack O’connor’s Sheep rifle #2 and top with a plain 4x scope.

Sounds like you’re going to have a “classic” Rifle when completed.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote