Find
Notify
Tools

Hemingway's G&H 30-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
I would really appreciate seeing pictures of your G&H. If you have any trouble posting pictures here I'll do that as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Bryndon:
I know you mentioned not wanting pictures of “one just like it”, but Hemingway’s was #956 and I have #950. Other than barrel length and the fact that mine has a double lever G&H mount, rather than a single lever on his, it is nearly identical in all other respects - cheek piece, the sharp cornered feature running vertically down from the back of the bolt stop, etc. No doubt the same stocker did mine and his. There was still some artistic license allowed to the individual stockers in 1930, but shortly after this G&H standardized their stock. The standard design is a classic, for sure, but not an improvement over 950 & what we know of 956.

Let me know if you’d like some pictures of 950 and I’ll dig it out.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Wow. That’s a beauty. I’d say that’s about as close to Hems as you can get.

What scope is on it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trying to relearn imgur...

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. Is it my imagination, or is the grip on this rifle more open (more British influence) than later G&H rifles?

quote:
Originally posted by Bryndon:
https://i.imgur.com/NQdWtIN.jpg

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

The scope is a zeiss zielklein

The grip is the most comfortable I’ve held. It is more open and is also of a diamond cross section like an English shotgun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Few more. Of note are the above average stock figure for a plain rifle, the vertical line straight down from the back of the bolt stop, and the worn row of checkering from the back of the V through the middle of the checkering ending at the middle of the grip cap. This is the only G&H I’ve seen with that grip shape feature.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
That is an astoundingly beautiful American rifle.

Built in 1931 or so?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I sure like it. Most importantly it shoots around 1” at 100 if I do my part. I load light loads from a recipe a friend worked up to be gentle on M1 Garlands.

I think 1930, as I recall reference in the Hemingway guns book of Hemingway getting his in 1930

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing your G&H with us. The rifle is both elegant and historically important.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Very Nice! I recall about 25 years ago when "Gun Digest" actually placed customers ads nationwide for gun sales before they started writing articles. I recall a few G+Hs for sale in the $650.00- $850.00 range. Hindsight is 20/20.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bryndon, a truly beautiful rifle.

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a grand old rifle and I agree completely a G&H 1903 has a wonderful feel when in your hands, the overall grip shape, the for-end shape and length, the balance and point-ability makes a statement that clearly says someone did know sheep shit from cotton seed when this was assembled. A trait sadly in decline today.

I wonder if Hemingway ever was concerned with the rifles overall weight ? or the lack of a 50mm objective lens for the scope or for that matter the construction of his jacketed bullets or their lack of adequate velocity and energy beyond 600 yards ?

He seems to have put it to good use where ever he hunted with it. No fuss, no muss

My how times have changed

One of Us
posted Hide Post
D'Arcy, you need to remember that the animals Hemingway was hunting were not educated enough in ballistics and bullet construction to know when to lie down and die and when to remain standing. Hemingway obviously did not have access to modern bullets, so no self respecting animal nowadays would succumb to the primitive bullets Hemingway and his contemporaries were using.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah and a wood stock!

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Did they need to shorten the safety to clear the scope? Looks tight - but maybe the angle of the pic.

And I’m impressed the sight hood in intact after almost 100 years!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A nice rifle and very much like mine, with a good example of the G&H windage adjustable side mount, which was a necessity with the elevation only German scope.

Mine probably started life with a single lever windage adjustable mount, but the shift to a 1" diameter scope forced a change to a double lever mount and the windage adjustment was unnecessary. Also, the lower scope mount required an altered bolt handle and safety and the Lyman 48 slide had to be removed to accomodate the scope. It bears G&H serial number 1250.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great example...but you just gotta get rid of that whit e line pad

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
He knew how to hold a forend folks. Take note!

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1017 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1. All the reason for shorter forends.

Posts: 1122 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The safety clears the scope by about the thickness of a sheet of paper.

D’arcy, I think the story goes that Hemingway was so impressed with the Lyman 48 that he removed the scope and it was lost to time before the rifle was stolen. No 50mm objectives for Papa. And I always figured if anything needed to lose weight for a hunt it would be best coming off me than the rifle.

G&H is only the most famous of the Springfield sporters. So many other makers were doing work as well or maybe better. Pick up an Adolph, Wundhammer, S-Man, or one of countless other custom stockers and you’ll never look at a model 70 again. The perfect bolt action rifle was being defined by these people and hasn’t been improved on since about 1927.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Many years ago a friend of mine had put together a very close copy of a G&H Springfield in .35 Whelen. I forget now who did what work on it but the rifle was a real beauty. He decided he would sell it to me but since had promised it long before to his brother first he thought he better ask.

His brother didn't hunt or shoot much anymore so I was hopefull he wouldn't be interested so I unashamedly did my best to coerce him to sell it to me instead. Wink Long story short his brother ended up wanting it. Family ties run deep sometimes. It was a beautiful rifle I still think about.

Thanks guys for posting those pictures.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some darn fine Springfield sporters have been produced. but in my opinion the high water mark belongs to Barney Worthen, a San Francisco stockmaker and gunsmith

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some darn fine Springfield sporters have been produced. but in my opinion the high water mark belongs to Barney Worthen, a San Francisco stockmaker and gunsmit

Any pictures ?

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might search Micheal Petrov's posts on doublegunshop.com, a wealth of information. Sadly now deceased and his collection scattered.

Posts: 1122 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Duane,

All the work was done by gunsmiths in the Tacoma area. I just don't remember now who did what. Sadly all those guys are past history now.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Quite a twistedly amazing individual.

I suppose we could say the same about General Patton.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Duane,

All the work was done by gunsmiths in the Tacoma area. I just don't remember now who did what. Sadly all those guys are past history now.

Does Jim Clowsard ring a bell?

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Sorry, not great.

Looking at the seated shot I wonder if Hemingway was right handed and left eye dominant like I am.

Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7572 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Jim - no, his vision in his left eye was 2/20. As an adult he always used glasses - this is a set up pic.

I’m also left eyed and right handed, which sucks now that I’m older because my right eye is requires more correction than my left.

Blame my dad who changed me from left to right handed as a kid...oh well...

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Duane,

Does Jim Clowsard ring a bell?

Duane,

Sorry I just don't remember now and to be honest I probably wouldn't have known one gunsmith from another back then. I looked at the rifle in the early 1990's.

Bottom line is even I could see it was a beautifully executed rifle that I was ever so close to getting.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
See the pic of him shooting while sitting? Did he have unusually large hands? His right hand trigger finger appears to be resting near the second knuckle of the trigger finger on the trigger itself. Just me or was it too short LOP for him?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
At the time he ordered the rifle he described him self as 6’ 190 lb with small hands for his size. Not sure what LOP was.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Some darn fine Springfield sporters have been produced. but in my opinion the high water mark belongs to Barney Worthen, a San Francisco stockmaker and gunsmith

I'll see your Barney Worthen, and raise you a Harvey Rodgers.

Although no doubt Worthen was a great gunmaker, I think his specialty was really shotgun work.

Some were great stockmakers, others great metalsmiths, but G&H probably put the whole package together as good as any and better than most.

John

Posts: 537 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote