New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 Bottom Metal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Being offered by A pretty big machine shop operation out of WA. I's on E Bay $420.00 Looks Like some possibilities. Guard seems to be Blackburn profile, though not well crowned. Trigger opening is a shortcut with the rounded ends....Yeah..I know...Still worth a look see...Apparently more models to come

Posts: 3451 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane, do you know if this unit is a drop in, or is it more like something to consider in a restock?

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I can see from photos the front tang is not the same footprint as factory, so a drop in? most likely not

Posts: 3451 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that would have made too much sense.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cant seem to find the listing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
E Bay doesn't make it easy " Pre-64 Bottom Metal"

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
This looks like the actual manufacturer: https://www.mackaymfg.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim@IMReps:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/31398...b:g:61wAAOSwe25icaer

eBay seller is mmimfg

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I noticed when I was looking at that listing that some one is selling pre 64 floor plates marked SUPER GRADE. Do you think standard guns are being made into Super Grades so they can be sold at a much higher price?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the real world... There's absolutely no difference at all between standard and super grade bottom metal. Easily forged...The stock would be challenging tp "upgrade" and that's where the real difference is anyway

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Just curious. What alternatives are there at a comparable cost?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13378 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any of these reasonable nice units should be selling for $900.00 plus. I'll be in receipt of a sample, perhaps make better assessment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pre-64 bottom metal (Ted Balckburn, I bleieve) that I would sell... I am a lefty and it is useless to me as all my M70s are 'Classics' and have a different guard screw spacing.

PM me if interested.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

Isn't Swift Bullets making Blackburn floor metal anymore?

KJK

Posts: 677 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are still making them. Like everyone else, they're pretty backed up so expect long wait times. Sunny Hill is a great option too. I just ordered two units from them that fortunately were in stock. I've found the finish to be much nicer on Sunny Hill than Swift but either work well.
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

Isn't Swift Bullets making Blackburn floor metal anymore?

Posts: 570 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Mackay graciously sent a pre 64 unit for sort of a "look over"

The first thing the buyer will be delighted with is that the finish is ready for bluing. You wouldn't have to do much..and nothing if that suited you with the glass bead finish.

As Mike and I agreed...you could make a thousand different varieties and still not please everyone

But...in my opinion the guard at the rear is a bit skinny, being around .060 narrower than the Blackburn.

The profile is 100% Blackburn....which I have been a little critical of since is seems a bit "Buck Roger" (Not my term) All in all, I supposed best to just leave it alone. Folks are used to it and even I certainly would not refuse to use one.

There is not a tapered crown to the guard, but this could be easily be modified.

I did mention the front tang footprint as not being compatible to a factory stock retro fit..But...not sure many pre 64's are being retro fitted since the rifle has taken on collectors status.

The custom stock will look much nicer with the front tang as furnished.

I mentioned the rounded ends of the trigger opening, Mike will "square up the ends with a tiny mill spinning about 30K RPM.

The release is striated, as suggestion by another custom maker...I disagreed, suggesting this detail is open to a few different treatments and I thought it should be left plain..Again not a deal breaker, but he wanted nit-picking so I obliged.

Mike has a huge machine shop with 170 employees, he has showed me that he can turn out one heck of a finely fitted unit fresh off the machine.

His next units will be devoted to the Mauser line....can't wait to see them