Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Rifle Company
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted
Rumor alert. An acquaintance of mine just back from SCI heard directly from a company representative that Montana Rifle Company May be going out of business. Order them while you can.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotta admit...from my point of view, based on experience with their products, I would not be sorry to see them go

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would’ve like to have have got one of their 3” magazine short actions for. Bob build. Too bad.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess that's what they get for being picky about who they'd sell to. Apparently, a 07 Manufactures FFL and a tax permit weren't enough to allow the holder of these to buy actions. "How big is your store (include a pic of your store front)? How many $$ of inventory Do you keep? How long have you been in business? How much are your yearly sales?". I had to tell my customer that wanted me to order an action for him "Sorry, they've become too hard to get along with.".....

Posts: 669 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one from them two years ago. Made the mistake of paying in advance. After three months being late & all kinds of excuses I asked for my money back. The guy angerly said ok. The next day the owner of the company called me & asked what was going on. After I told him he said they had the same action ready to be shipped the another customer & he would send it to me. I had it in three days. The other poor guy may still be waiting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They needed to stick with their original plan of providing unfinished actions to gunsmiths. Unfortunately, too many people bought them and complained they weren't finished enough. Roll Eyes

Once they started providing complete rifles, their problems only grew.

I love their actions, but their execution on a complete rifle sucked and their customer service made it worse.

Posts: 472 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larkin
posted Hide Post
I bought a short magnum action from them several years ago which became a .300 WSM. I sent them an 01 FFL copy and payment and they sent an action; nothing else was required at the time. What I received is well made and finished needing no corrective timing adjustments or lapping for smooth operation and lug contacts. Just sharing my own experience with ONE action.

Posts: 81 | Location: n.e. wa | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larkin:
I bought a short magnum action from them several years ago which became a .300 WSM. I sent them an 01 FFL copy and payment and they sent an action; nothing else was required at the time. What I received is well made and finished needing no corrective timing adjustments or lapping for smooth operation and lug contacts. Just sharing my own experience with ONE action.
The business changed hands, new owners, new policies. I used to buy just as you did, supply FFL and payment, received what I ordered.

Posts: 669 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A number of years ago, when the .505 action was in the development stage, I ordered two, and eventually received them. One of them went to Lon Paul, who built a rifle around it. I still have the other one and will sell it for what I paid for it, $800 as I recall.

Here is Lon's rifle:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one nice looking .505!

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess that means I'll never see a left handed PH action. I used to email them every six months for an update. They always said it was still in the plans. After a few years of no PH action I figured it would never come to fruition. That's a shame. I would have liked one of their PH actions in left handed. I had one of their magnum long actions and standard short actions (intermediate really). They barreled the magnum in 375 H&H and I ended up selling the short action and the 375 H&H. Wish I hadn't sold either.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote