THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    question on building a custom rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

question on building a custom rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i have had a shoulder problem that has involved 7 shoulder operations in that last year The doctors are telling me I cant shoot much more than a 22. ( their right because I tried it and it dislocated on the first shot) Is there any way to build a custom rifle capable of hunting deer,antelope, elk and maybe moose size animals that could do this? I know it would be heavy and involve a big muzzle brake but I don't want to quit hunting. Any suggestions?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I assume shooting LH is not an option?

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that shoulder is going down the same road after 3 rotator cuff operations

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot from the opposite hand. In my neck of the woods a 6mm isthe minimum for Moose, I would imagine that a 243 WIn. that weighs in the neighbourhood of ten pounds plus a muzzle break will get you to that 22LR recoil threshold.
BB

Posts: 396 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’d start handgun hunting in a rifle caliber.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not good choices...handgun? Can your orthopedic suggest any type of a brace?

A "Hydro-coil" stock was offered years ago on some shot guns. Never saw one put to use on a rifle...but might be worth looking into...along with a muzzle brake and some lower power but legal caliber.

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gas operated semi auto's really reduce recoil. You might look at an AR 15 in .300 Blackout (or 6.8, or Grendel).

The heavy .243 with a muzzle brake is another great idea.

Mercury tubes in the rifle also slow down the recoil impulse. Recoil pads like Limbsavers are very soft.

For a muzzle brake, look at the JP Enterprises Recoil Eliminator. On a .308, I was impressed. The rifle actually seems to pull forward a little bit.

HTH.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While not moose ready, a 243 would work for almost everything else. Recoil would be non-existent.

If the recoil was still too much, add a muzzle brake and recoil should be at the same level as a 22 rifle.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, that is miserable. I first dislocated my left shoulder in seventh grade and it has gone downhill greatly over the last 35 or 40 years. The only saving grace is the easier it dislocates, the easier it is to reduce. :-)

Yours must be an absolute mess as the shooting position is not one that typically results in dislocation. Are you placing the butt as close in as possible? Other than learning to shoot lefty, you may be able to have a prosthetist (may have just made up a word) make a harness of some sort that transfers the recoil more to your chest. Good luck!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They have rifle rests that attach to wheel chairs that require no recoil absorption by the shooter. A friend of mine takes Wounded Soldiers hunting.

Posts: 17103 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
6X45 will handle your needs for deer and antelope. With 85 grain bullets the recoil is virtually imperceptible. I built one for my son when he was 6. He’s taken a dozen plus deer with it and it has performed superbly.

6.5 Grendel is a viable option too. CZ makes a nice little rifle chambered for it.

There is an interesting thread on Rockslide about 223 with Sierra 77 grain Sierra TMK for deer, elk and bear.

Best of luck to you.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
In addition to all the suggestions so far.

Why couldn't some sort of shoulder brace be used/developed, maybe like a carbon fiber exoskeleton that can take the brunt of the recoil and also distribute the recoil force over a broader area so all the recoil force isn't just all in the shoulder joint.

Could be an interesting project. If successful others may benefit as well.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
In addition to all the suggestions so far.

Why couldn't some sort of shoulder brace be used/developed, maybe like a carbon fiber exoskeleton that can take the brunt of the recoil and also distribute the recoil force over a broader area so all the recoil force isn't just all in the shoulder joint.

Could be an interesting project. If successful others may benefit as well.

Great idea.

A company was selling a product just like this years ago - I cannot remember the name.

But I have seen it, and it works.

Basically there a shirt, with a large pocket that went over the shoulder.

They supplied an insert which one heated, and placed in the pocket against the shoulder and place a rifle on it for a few minutes.

One can make a shirt with this sort of insert built in.

Wear it when shooting.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would some of these new air guns be a possibility ?

Hear of some powerful enough t o kill deer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5 Grendel AR with a suppressor that you can shoot easily without having it even in contact with your shoulder. It has a short and light barrel. Make it a standard weight 18” barrel and put a suppressor on it, collapse the stock so it doesn’t make contact with your shoulder and shoot away. Ballistics similar to a 6.5x55 which is used for up to moose size animals in Scandinavia.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am exploring in a lot of directions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would "self design" a gun that places its butt in the center of your chest. I have been shooting crossover guns for years and know that such a gun can be designed very simply if you know a good stockmaker.

Posts: 62 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I envision sort of a harness..Might be able to get it close to the shoulder pocket...a little imagination on a conventional stock with "placement" on the harness??

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Fashion a wide banded chest strap that then has "bra straps" to keep it up and then an angled brace/cup that places the weight down on the pectoralis and keeps the butt away from the shoulder. A muzzle braked 260 remington with 120 barnes tsxs would do the trick.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i remember an article in a mag several years ago where the rifle stock had a hook which fit behind the shoulder so that the shooter pushed the rifle forward to brace it for firing no recoil at all

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
I’m having a 6x47 Lapua built for my Mom. It has a Sendero barrel and a muzzle brake, and it’s getting a thick recoil pad. If you find yourself in Central Texas, you’re welcome to try it out.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I began my hunting with a 25-35 at age 8 and graduated to a 250-3000 at about 11 or 12, I suspect a 250 with a muzzle brake would work even better, I killed 5 or 6 elk with both calibers over those young years..You could add a recoil pad but probably wouldn't need it, both give you some bullet weight at decent velocity 117,120 gr. and much better than any 6mm...For deer only a 220 Swift, 223, 222, 6x45 etc. work well as about anything out to 200 yards...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poppycarroll:
i remember an article in a mag several years ago where the rifle stock had a hook which fit behind the shoulder so that the shooter pushed the rifle forward to brace it for firing no recoil at all

Kind of an Al Freeland shoulder hook turned backwards, or turned up behind the shoulder?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14370 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote