New
Find
Notify
Tools

scope mounts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thinking about one last custom on an Argentine that I had heat treated. My problem is that the crest is in great shape and I'd like to keep it that way. So I have been considering side mounts for the scope. I have a Mauser sniper rifle that has a side mount that I really have found to be pretty solid and goes back to zero after removing the scope and putting it back on. Not exactly custom looking but I can find one for a 1" scope. New England Firearms has one that looks pretty good but is like $575. My other thought is making a front mount that attaches on the side rail and loops around to the top where I'd cut a dovetail to accept Tally rings. Anybody have any other ideas on how to approach this?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
My buddy did this one a month ago. Mil side mount.

Not as nice an Jeager or G&H

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
What about a mount on the barrel, custom objective ring required. on second thought it's probable even more $$ then the side mount

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like a lot of expense to protect a crest that is extremely common these days. It would be different if it were a Oberndorf Mauser crest. Cover it up and forget about it. Everything we own will some day be for sale and side mounts always hurt the price.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote