New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little Fun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Other than Duane's fantastic little take down, it has been pretty slow around here. So just for fun, we will see how everyone's knowledge of early 20th century American Custom Gunmakers is. Can anyone tell me what these two rifles have in common? Well, besides the obvious that they are both Springfields, although one is a 1922 and the other an 03.

Regards,
John

Posts: 547 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both stocked by the same person.

Posts: 425 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by setters5:
Both stocked by the same person.

That is true, but something a little bit more. They are both unmarked, how do we know they were stocked by the same person?

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
Both have headless NM style firing pins.

Posts: 474 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogersGunWorks:
Both have headless NM style firing pins.

The 1922 is an M1 so they came that way. The 03 has had a speed lock conversion done to it.

The answer I am looking for is not a characteristic of the rifles, but something else.

Hint, the answer is in your gunsmithing library, or should be, at least in my opinion.

John

posted Hide Post
Would it be possible to see how the speed lock was accomplished? I understand it would require taking the bolt down.

Posts: 48 | Location: Elyria, Ohio USofA | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
In petroves book (which I don't have) G&H and Fugger.

Posts: 6385 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
In petroves book (which I don't have) G&H and Fugger.

No, but his first book will give you a big clue. G&H had a small hand in one of these rifles, but neither are G&H guns.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swarf:
Would it be possible to see how the speed lock was accomplished? I understand it would require taking the bolt down.

I should be able to do that. Give me a day or so.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swarf:

Pulled it apart this morning. I had it confused with another rifle. This one does not have a speed lock, just the national match headless firing pin assembly. I guess you could say that is a speed lock as it was designed to reduce the lock time, but it does not shorten the firing pin fall as the Sedgley and Hart Arms speed locks do.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another hint. The 1922 is a 22 Hornet, and the 03 was built for Art Vinje who was a friend of the stockmaker. You will find them under "K" in the library's card catalog.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alvin Linden stock maker, Emil Koshollek made the scope Mount. Is the 03 Vinje's rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by setters5:
Alvin Linden stock maker, Emil Koshollek made the scope Mount. Is the 03 Vinje's rifle?

Correct on all three. I'll give you partial credit for it.

The answer I was looking for is that both rifles were pictured in Monty Kennedys book Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks. This book was a follow up to Lindens three volume set on restocking a rifle. While the book is authored by Kennedy, there is a lot of Linden work as well as examples and text from many of the top gunsmiths of the day including Brownell, Shelhamer, Mews, Goens, Hearn and of course Kennedy, as well as others. The book is a great resource for the student of pre-war and early post-war custom rifles. I also found it a great text book for learning checkering, although some would argue otherwise. As a kid I pretty much taught myself how to checker through the instruction in this book. While I am no James Anderson or Jerry Fisher, I think I do a fair to middling job of checkering when I get the chance.

I searched off and on for the Hornet for 35 years or so. It finally just kind of dropped in my lap. It was still in Wisconsin where it was built. Although G&H did the Hornet conversion including there neat little magazine box, the stock work was done by Linden. Who did the engraving is likely lost to time.

Anyway, I hope some of you found this interesting. If you have any questions about either rifle feel free to ask.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for sharing, John.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I don't have Kennedy's book for some reason, wish I owned the Hornet!

Greg