New
Find
Notify
Tools

PacNor for rebarreling a rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone sent a barreled action to PacNor for their barrel and having them install it? How did it turn out both for accuracy and quality of the job?

Or do you have any other suggestions for a barrel manufacturer for that same work?

I have a rebarreled Remington 700 Classic that is a 30-06 and want to change it to a 35 Whelen. The price quoted from PacNor for a stainless barrel installed is attractive and the turn around time is 10 weeks.

Or I could leave the rifle alone and use that money toward an elk hunt.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to plan B. A 30/06 will kill anything in N.America. If it ain't broke,don't fix it.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider plan C. Have the 06 barrel rebored to 35 Whelen.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the '06, can't get anything more out of the 35 to justify.

From personal experience, and I know a lot of people have used Pac-nor, but I have had two experiences with their barrels, both bad, won't use another.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use the money on the elk hunt. I would keep the .30-06. Reboring is an option but almost as expensive as a new barrel.
Pac-nor have rebarreled an action for me. The work was excellent. Hopefully the bad is the exception.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Keep the dirty aught six, put some 180-220 gr bullets in it and never look back. Probably some of the best bullets for it is the 220 gr. Remy Core-Lokt bullets for about $22.00 from places like Midway. You can still get a 35 Whelen just cause.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
06' + 200gn Parition in clock works = Dead Elk, Moose, or Bear of Any size.

A friend here in CO has taken 15 Elk in 25 years with factory 150gn corelocks. Not my first choice, but they can obviously get the job done.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I should have specified that this is not my only 30-06. While it is a very good shooting rifle, it is just not my favorite 30-06.

Using an existing rifle for the possible rebarreling would cut the cost of having to buy another rifle or action.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have several featherweight Pac Nor barrels and they are extremely accurate, I am definitely a repeat customer. I have never used their service to have a barrel installed.
But I must admit plan B is a must so go on the hunt and rebarrel with money you make later. I've killed a pile of elk with a 30/06 and 180 grain Sierra bullets and never recovered a bullet and always got dead elk.
In my opinion for the terrain I hunt 180 grains in an '06 is great or you could drop to 165 or even 150's if using a premium or a monometal bullet.
Definitely don't miss a hunting opportunity to stay home and work on a rifle!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would also go with plan B. Go to Shooter's Pro Shop and buy some blem (cosmetic only) Partitions in 200 grain ($19/50) or 180 grain ($16/50) and go hunting.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3x62.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the interest of full disclosure and transparency, I am a 35 caliber addict.

Get the 35 Whelen. Big Grin

Posts: 2585 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A or B . Shoot what you like. Both will work well.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old curmudgeon Kobe is right, go elk hunting.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am leaning toward the elk hunt more and more every day.

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
I've had 2x Pac Nor barrels (they were both prefits) sent down to me here in New Zealand. Both were constant 1/4 MOA shooters.

Getting too hard to get barels exported now with all the regulations (the two Pac Nor barrels came to me in a cardboard tube with 'metal bar' written as the description), but that was back in 2001 for the barrels.

I have a Krieger for my 6.5 SAUM build as the importer has plenty of barrels in stock and the pricing is pretty damn good, but if circumstances were different I'd go Pac Nor again

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Both were constant 1/4 MOA shooters

You're kidding of course kiwi!

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote