THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Need a special custom stock- ref's please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a special custom stock- ref's please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a unique (to me) pre war model 70 barreled action. I need a stocktaker that will do a great job for me.

Money is not a huge issue ( I know, never say this ), but understand I will be very focused on seeing this done the way I want it done.

Looking for an old school type, classic, clean, understated design to work from.

Who would you recommend??

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
Dennis Erhardt at the Frontier Gunshop in Helena, MT.

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.

Posts: 249 | Location: Montana | Registered: 17 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a few worth contacting:

Reto Buehler
James Tucker
Duane Wiebe
Steve Nelson
Joe Smithson
Gene Simillion
John Bolliger
D'Arcy Echols

You can also look at the American Custom Gunmaker Guild website as well at this link: https://www.acgg.org

Posts: 3059 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe in Bloomington Mn is in the gun makers guild and makes very nice stocks.
If you need his contact info, pm me

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doing one right now; thanks Dale

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Above mentioned guys are good and I've had a few done by Jim Kobe. Jim is good and prompt.
Mr Lindy, I can't recommend your advise.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with James Anderson and Gary Goudy.

Posts: 295 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
You could start out by visiting the better local sporting goods stores that sell better quality guns. they might have a list of or know of local or regional guys that do custom stockmaking.

I don't think I would rely on a salesperson at a large store.

Marley's list has many of the best U.S. stock makers already listed. I would add Craig Libhart and Al Lind.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to Duane Wiebe. I think he Builds the best looking stocks on the planet.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane needs to answer this and he is great, but will he stock somebody else s metalwork.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Bisio does great work too. Here's a link to his site.
http://www.heritage-walnut.com

Posts: 291 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by butchlambert:
Duane needs to answer this and he is great, but will he stock somebody else s metalwork.[/QUOTE

The issue: "A" does the metal "B" does the stock...Who steps up to the plate if the gun does not function or shoot well? In my case, I'm pretty selective who's metal work I will stock

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross,

Lon Paul Tanglewood Guns. He has his own stock design that will fit you, mitigates recoil nicely and looks incredible. Also Pre '64's and Mausers are his specialty. Give him a call and say I referred you. 951-659-2699

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Just to second a few...
James Anderson
Lon Paul
Duane Wiebe
All have done stand out work for me..
Almost forgot Ralf Martini who is also a wizard with wood!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Here in the US today we are blessed with many of the very best stock makers in the world. And a high percentage of the best ones doing it for a living have been listed.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil, you are correct. I have used a few and I am very happy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a few websites worth visiting - good photos (especially Hallowell) and descriptions.

Hallowell & Co: http://www.hallowellco.com/Cus...les%20For%20Sale.htm

Champlin Firearms: http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx?tabid=30

Also, you might check out Roger Green's work at: http://rogermgreen.com/gunmaker/bespoke_guns.html

Posts: 3059 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had Dean Zollinger lean out a stock on a Wisner actioned 7x57 Swede that had been stocked "fat" by Fred something or other in Montana IIRC. Dean did a great job given he had to start wit someone else's work.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thx!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Very trim and love the forearm taper. Duane Wiebe got me hooked on that swept grip style too.
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
I had Dean Zollinger lean out a stock on a Wisner actioned 7x57 Swede that had been stocked "fat" by Fred something or other in Montana IIRC. Dean did a great job given he had to start wit someone else's work.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat, Promise to post of the photos of the finished stock. I have a suspicion it will be sweet.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boxhead,

Dean Zollinger has built me a number of rifles over the past 25 years. Trim, sleek and handle beautifully. He is in the process of finishing a project of mine now. A Mauser action, blind box 7x57. Should be a dandy.

Ed

Posts: 680 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 May 2009Reply With Quote