New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exotic Wood Gunstocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone ever seen or owned a gun with a stock made from a wood other than walnut or maple? Specifically, I wonder if anyone has ever made a stock from ebony or african blackwood, yes it would be heavy, but that would be fine on a large caliber gun. Obviously it would be incredibly hard to work, and far more time consuming, but I think the end result would be awesome.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, the American Rifleman magazine had an article on someone who had a collection of Sakos (I think they were Sakos), that had them stocked in all different types of hardwoods. I remember one that was stocked in Pink Ivory, because at that time I had seen my first custom knife using that wood. He had Ebony, Zebra Wood, and most of the exotic hardwoods you can imagine. I think this article appeared in the 80's sometime. Sorry can't be more specific, but you might try looking for an index of American Rifleman issues and maybe able to find it.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have done several from several different varieties of rosewood, zebra wood and have used others for tips and caps. some of them the dust is really iratating and the wood itself is brittle and oily, tough to finish.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in gunsmithing school one of the students made a stock of purple heart.On the heavy side but for his 338 Win it was OK.I have keard that it darkens significantly with age.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I remember that story. Fajen did all the work. They even had a redwood end grain stock

quote:
Originally posted by congomike:
Several years ago, the American Rifleman magazine had an article on someone who had a collection of Sakos (I think they were Sakos), that had them stocked in all different types of hardwoods. I remember one that was stocked in Pink Ivory, because at that time I had seen my first custom knife using that wood. He had Ebony, Zebra Wood, and most of the exotic hardwoods you can imagine. I think this article appeared in the 80's sometime. Sorry can't be more specific, but you might try looking for an index of American Rifleman issues and maybe able to find it.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember the article too. The gun owner was a physician in georgia, every gun was done by fajen on browning BBR actions & all were in 300 win mag. The pink ivory was the toughest to procure a sizeable blank due to the aristrocrat style stock and its wide rollover style of monte carlo cheekpiece, yuk, but to each his own.

Posts: 59 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
On the other end of the weight scale, I've laminated cedar with carbon fiber to make lightweight benchrest stocks.

I've used some zebrawood too, it is heavy and not what I'd call user-friendly.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've made them from cherry, butternut a drosewood

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
My dad used to use Wild Cherry some. Remington used to use Birch and maybe Beech some I think.

I like Walnut the best. It would be cool with carbon laminated in the middle like some are.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I've used all the Walnuts,Maple,Mesquite,and a laminate they made from various thicknesses of maple and walnut at TSJC many years ago. I have also stocked Model 94's &92's in Holley,Osage Orange,Cherry. All made good stocks of various weights. Made a 22 once from Beech and it was a very nice stock. Also laminated some cherry once and it made up into a nice stock. If I had a favorite it would probably be English Walnut.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have come across a blank from the old Henry Ford estate. Yes the Henry Ford that started the Ford Motor Company. It is rosewood but is very dark, dense, and heavy. I'm thinking of stocking one of my rifles with it. I can't believe how heavy it is or how dark it is. It still has a serial number and description on it. Quite a find and it was given to me.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Let's see some pic's... Love seeing nice gun wood!

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are some Cooper's stocked in pistachio. I have one of their cull stocks that had a wire stain on it and a couple of other pieces in pistachio. I don't recall if I actually have a rifle with a pistachio stock on it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 527 that I am going to send off to Wayne at AHR. I was thinking about getting a piece of Bubinga and sending it to him when he builds my 223 DG gun ;-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDA-CO:
I have a CZ 527 that I am going to send off to Wayne at AHR. I was thinking about getting a piece of Bubinga and sending it to him when he builds my 223 DG gun ;-)

That would be awesome, definitely keep us updated on that. I have a piece of African Blackwood that I think would be pretty cool to turn into a stock.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have two FN Wheatherbys made circa 1955 stocked in myrtle wood.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Myrtle. It's a light weight blank.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my PH had a '06 that he had restocked in blackwood.

Very pretty but also very heavy!

quote:
Originally posted by StormsGSP:
quote:
Originally posted by JDA-CO:

That would be awesome, definitely keep us updated on that. I have a piece of African Blackwood that I think would be pretty cool to turn into a stock.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Hyper Single in 257 Roberts. It came with a nice Myrtle wood stock. The stock is in the safe and it has a French walnut stock today. Tom Turpin sold me the wood. I have 2 BR rifles with wood and carbon fiber laminate. One is redwood and the other is walnut laminate.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where I work we make a lot of stocks for Thompson Contender and Encore rifles. Having the two piece stock lets use wood that would be unsuitable for a one piece.
We have made Koa, Purpleheart, Bacote and pistachio from a tree that grew in the yard at the shop.
I made a set of TC Contender pistol grip and fore end from a catsclaw mesquite that grew outside my parents house.
A lot of the exotics are laminated with a seam right down the middle due to board thickness.
I plan on making a stock for my coyote hunting TC from the wood called Coyote.

Mark

Posts: 1227 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years back, I checkered an old stock made of mesquite. Beautiful wood but it dulled my checkering tools FAST.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I would like something from mesquite.

Considering what a pesky and ugly tree it usually is, it's surprising the wood can be absolutely beautiful. I've heard from my friends n the furniture business it is very hard on tools.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a number of them made from fiddleback myrtle and tiger myrtle. There are only two places where myrtle wood comes from: Oregon/Northern California and the Holy Land. Years ago Cecil Fredi had a pair of 17 Remington stocks that were made out of, I believe, African Pink Ivory. They were very very heavy, but very beautiful. He sold them both and I wished that I had purchased one or both of them.