THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Mauser Modelo Argentino 1909 - thoughts ??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Modelo Argentino 1909 - thoughts ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

I have picked up a 1909 Argentino Mauser in full original condition, matching numbers etc. Toying with the idea of maybe having a light weight stalking rifle built on it for my wife by a north German based gunsmith that I know.

Undecided on caliber at this stage.

Would really welcome thoughts and comments from the "experienced" on here!

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7x57 for sure.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To each his own.... I have had many a milsurp rifle built into “custom” rifles. But in today’s market if I wanted one I would not use a matching number full military rifle, especially a 1909 Argentine, as the basis for one. I’m sure you can find a nice clean Mauser action from members here that would a good start on your custom rifle.

Save that piece of history....

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I had one built on an '09. Blanchards did the hardening before Douglas would touch it. It's got an american classic stock.

I would do an old style stock with the side panels and schnable in 7x57. Like this.

Posts: 6385 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your rifle looks very much like mine, which is probably much older.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice~ I like them both.
My pre-1910 Schelgelmilch.
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1787 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
That numbers matching 09 Argie is worth far more original than for just an action. They are pretty hard to find as most have been cut up, sporterized of cannibelized for their actions. Contact DPCD here, he has some nice 98 actions that have already had a bolt handle and polish job for a few hundred bucks, you will spend more than that doing yours and you would be money ahead. There are far more 98 actions available than there are original rifles, please reconsider.
Just noticed your in Africa, Never mind.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Exactly, do not destroy a nice original Mauser; and also consider that those actions are not fully suitable for a really light weight rifle, unless your stock is very small and fragile like the old ones in the pictures above. Most American hunters won't use a stock like that. Of course, the term Light, is relative.
Lot of iron in a large ring 98 Mauser and the Argentine has more (bottom metal). Consider that Rigby advertised it's rifle as weighing 7.5 pounds, and that was with a 23 inch barrel; from their 1924 catalog. Add a scope and you are 8.5 pounds at least.
One I just built is in the classifieds, on a 1909 Arg. action. Rigby type stock, double square bridge, dovetailed for scope rings. 26 inch barrel.
Yes, 7mm Mauser is good. Mine is a 275 Rigby. Completely different.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I also have one. It's now a .30-06 Springfield. My most used rifle.

~Ann

Posts: 19150 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the look and feel of an open sight only rifle. Some very attractive rifles posted above!

Light rifles on a 98 action are tricky to pull off but not impossible. Using an intermediate action or a small ring action, blind magazine, lighter barrel contour, ect can help.

The huge bulky scopes that are popular adds a bunch of weight. Keeping scope size reasonable will help.

The British used the term "Light Game Rifle". This usually had nothing to do with the weight of the rifle, rather it refers to a light caliber(6.5 or 7mm) suitable for hunting light game.

Just in my experience, guys seem to want a lighter rifle than they actually need. A well balanced rifle handles lighter than the scales will tell you. In our area most deer hunting is done from the comfort of a tree stand or pop up blind. How light does a rifle need to be when your sitting down?

Hunting out west covering a lot of open ground or up in the mountains is probably where a lighter rifle is a real benefit.

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a number of them and the 1908 Brazilian (made in same place) All were tested and all were soft.

But your wife a Winchester Classic Compact in 7-08 or .308 and go hunting.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
I have owned a number of them and the 1908 Brazilian (made in same place) All were tested and all were soft.

But your wife a Winchester Classic Compact in 7-08 or .308 and go hunting.

I built my 7x57 on a 1908 Brazilian, 140 grainers at 2750fps.
Hundreds of rounds through it, not soft, no setback and nothing to worry about.
Also the OP was after suggestions on caliber, surely his German gunsmith can decide if the 1909 action is suitable.
Thousands of rifles have been built on them with no problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had one built on an '09. Blanchards did the hardening before Douglas would touch it.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
7X57

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7.65X53, often thought about doing one just for fun. A bloody good round.
Not sure of barrel and reamer options though.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I have a nice military stepped barrel with the ladder sight if interested. Not sure about sending to OZ, though.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the 7.65; it is the first smokeless Mauser cartridge made for Belgium in 1889 and widely used in SA; mainly Argentina. I used to shoot 7.62 Nato ammo in an 09 carbine I had; took it to the M60 range and we had some ammo left over. Lots of ball and tracer. Worked great; made a very short neck. I also fired them in a RIA 03; that made a straight .45 case. No issues.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

quote:
Just in my experience, guys seem to want a lighter rifle than they actually need. A well balanced rifle handles lighter than the scales will tell you. In our area most deer hunting is done from the comfort of a tree stand or pop up blind. How light does a rifle need to be when your sitting down?

Looking at this project as a “stalking rifle “ for hills, mountains, Scotland, Austria and not the likes of a tree stand. Looking at light weight as a carry and not a high seat gun.

Thinking 6.5 Swede.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Nothing wrong with the 7.65; it is the first smokeless Mauser cartridge made for Belgium in 1889 and widely used in SA; mainly Argentina. I used to shoot 7.62 Nato ammo in an 09 carbine I had; took it to the M60 range and we had some ammo left over. Lots of ball and tracer. Worked great; made a very short neck. I also fired them in a RIA 03; that made a straight .45 case. No issues.

Funny you mention that. I’m sure you did it on purpose. Me.... well I did it accidentally. I had reformed some R-P 30-06 brass to 7.65 for my cast bullets. Figured if I picked up any 30-06 with a R-P headstamp I would immediately recognize it as7.65 Arg. Age plays mean tricks on you. I was at a vintage rifle match with my 03A3 and when I fired my sighters, I didn’t hit the 100 yard target. Fired a couple more and finally noticed the odd looking brass with almost no neck. At that point I knew exactly what had done.

No one was hurt including my 03A3. Other than my pride that is.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
I have a nice military stepped barrel with the ladder sight if interested. Not sure about sending to OZ, though.

Thanks for the offer Bluefish but I have access to a few over here.
Cheers.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
my advice? (weather stinks, i am cold, old, and grouchy today)

sell it, and buy something that's already done .. as others have said, the complete rifle has far more value as a whole than as a sum of it's parts. likely worth half of a BRNO, and certainly the larger part of someone else's custom or a "guild" or "cigarette" rifle

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I have a custom .300 WM on a 1909 Arg that I am going to get rid of. Too painful for my old sholder to shoot. Took an elk 2 years ago with it. Would rather shoot my Whitworth Safari grade Mauser in .375 H&H. PM me if you have any interest. Tom could rebarrel it for you I am sure.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have a Krag that I built up. I took all the unnecessary would weight off, cropped the bbl to 18" crowned + counterbored. Took off all the extra weight of the metal, D+T the bbl. for the scout system. Totally broke it down + jeweled all internal surfaces, built a trigger that lets off at about 1/2 an lb. The Krag was always smooth but now it's lightning-quick; especially set up as a scout. I took 3 deer in my garden faster than it took to write this sentence. It also weighs under 5 lbs. Not to mention that the 30-40 is still a good round.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
There is that way cool Argy 7.65. A bit of a hammer round when compared to the medium recoil of the 7X57 though.
quote:
Originally posted by metal:
7.65X53, often thought about doing one just for fun. A bloody good round.
Not sure of barrel and reamer options though.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love those skinny stocks and full quarter ribs on oct or half/oct and half/round barrels, they are not to skinny for me..easy to pack, quick to point, work with irons for me and scopes for that matter as I was raised on low comb mod. 70s and last but not least I like the flat bolt and panels as the design makes for a awesome saddle gun....Not for everyone, but perfect for me..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote