THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Buying "used" customs...your opinions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying "used" customs...your opinions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Looking through a local gun store...there is a handful of "custom" rifles on the used gun rack. All came from the same collection...apparently a gentleman had passed away and the gun store is helping the widow sell his guns.

The 6 rifles all have aftermarket barrels on them. Actions "feel" like some work was done, as well as trigger work. As with most times that a barrel is swapped...you can't tell which barrel maker they went with on the guns...Shilen, Douglas, etc etc etc. Each rifle has the same gunsmiths initials on the barrel. No information can be found on the gunsmith on the internet.

Question:
If the rifle was in a caliber you like, would you be interested in buying a "custom" gun with no knowledge of barrel maker or rifling twist?

Choices:
Yes! I do it often
No! I want all of the specs
Nope, I want to have the rifle built myself
Yes, if it got customized then it should be better than it was originally
Other (explain)

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, I bought a lot of custom guns in Midland at ten to fifteen dollar a barrel oil. :-). This was back before gunbroker etc. had much of a presence and most sales were local. As long as there are good components and tolerances etc. I would consider buying if the price is (perceived to be) right. Take a bore scope with you and evaluate for throat erosion etc.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Customs usually have little appeal to the mass gun buyers. With that said some customs can be a deal if they appear to be of good components, fit and function. Most people hardly shoot enough to wear a rifle out.
If these are priced right and in an interesting cartridge I wouldn't hesitate to pick them up.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RR 314:
Man, I bought a lot of custom guns in Midland at ten to fifteen dollar a barrel oil. :-).

Each time things slow down I am always quick to hit the pawn shops and buy up what was lost Wink

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Customs usually have little appeal to the mass gun buyers. With that said some customs can be a deal if they appear to be of good components, fit and function.

I wish there was an easy way to figure out the barrel manufacturer. I'm guessing that whichever they went with...if it was installed properly it should be an accurate rifle. Most of these rifles are Model 70 CRF actions...with a few being Rem 700 actions (1990's and earlier)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me, used custom rifles are the best deals out there. Someone put quite a bit of money into them, but don't get half that when they're sold. Instead of waiting, sometimes years, for something you want to be built, search around for something close, get it right now, and save lots of money.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BUGLE,

A custom rifle on the used market unless it's done by a high end well know smith is going to bring far less money than the original owner put into it. If one of those rifleS has the features you like you might get yourself a bargain. A high end Kreiger or Lilja barrel does not guarantee accuracy. I have a couple of factory barrels that shoot bugholes and some customs that just shoot OK.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the workmanship is good, the gun fits you, why not.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Other.
Check the bore with a bore scope or bore light. Desirability should not be based on brand alone IMO. A great, well cared for barrel will be sharp on the corners of the lands and brilliant end to end.
Reasonably priced custom rifles go fast. Don't wait another day if one of them caught your eye. Tomorrow could be too late.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think "custom" should be in quotes. Not many high grade custom rifles are usually built on those actions...Yeah ,yeah, I know there are exceptions

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I something catches my eye then I will do my best to do the leg work and make and educated decision.

If the rifle is stocked well, fits me and is priced well... then it usually come home with me. If it doesn't work out I will sell it.

Posts: 161 | Registered: 19 September 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'd think a guy who had (6) custom rifles made by the same person must have been pleased with the results, otherwise he'd have stopped at one or possibly two! Few people go to a custom rifle builder and order six rifles at once. So, as stated before, check the barrel for condition, and if allowed, you can check the twist yourself if they'll allow you to run a tight patch down the barrel.

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had several custom rifles built and a lot of shotguns. I shoot left handed and it is better for me if I have a gun that has been worked to perfect condition, finished well and has a stock the FITS.

I have bought one custom rifle at resale - a LH Classic Model 70 in 7 X 57. With a good English walnut stock, Kreiger barrel, Blackburn bottom metal, and a Swaro scope for far below replacement cost. But it is too heavy and I sent it to Aaron Little to put it on a diet... a 7 X 57 should not weigh nearly 9 lbs.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A pretty rifle with a great stock and good sighting is a good deal at a reasonable or low price, regardless of the barrel. The barrel can be replaced for not much money. Not so the woodwork. We don't often get to shoot them before we buy them.

Posts: 62 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I purchased the rifle. a 5 digit Model 70 Classic Stainless in .270 Winchester. 26" aftermarket barrel, Jewell trigger, some sort of action work done on it...stuffed into an HS Precision stock. I couldn't stand it....hopefully it is as accurate as I am thinking it will be

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Without any pictures, it didn't happen.
Just kidding. A pic or two would be nice and the price paid is something most AR members would appreciate as well.
Congrats!

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the rifle looks right and the action functions good I wouldn't hesitate buying one that has been upgraded. The only custom rifle (308 Norma) I have bought was one built on an FN Mauser commercial action, with an unknown manufacture barrel. I knew the barrel's bore had seen better days and I hated the stock, so I paid a price that one should have to buy just the receiver and bolt. I then had a Shilen barrel installed and chambered in 264Win, and an after market cheap stock that I ended up hating. I wouldn't hesitate buying a custom again but the price would have to be right, as I wouldn't pay anywhere near the money that the previous owner spent on it.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m not too hung up on barrel manufacturer.

If it’s a piece that I’m interested in, and the price is right, I would buy it.

If the price is right, I can always get rid of it for more than I paid if I don’t like it in the end.

Posts: 10593 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Without any pictures, it didn't happen.
Just kidding. A pic or two would be nice and the price paid is something most AR members would appreciate as well.
Congrats!

I'm considering making a private group on Facebook just for AR members so we can share photos without having to deal with Photobucket or any other photo sharing site archer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would depend on the rifle. First of all it would have to appeal to me enough that I'd look down the bore. That wouldn't include stainless and plastic. After that fit, finish, cartridge and action would have their influence. A little real engraving and case hardening never hurts.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Mr. Bugle.
Photobucket is about the worst site for hosting pics from a PC.
I've tried many over the years and
postimages.org
is the best/easiest by far.
You can test it out without signing up if you want. Just click UPLOAD and just pick whatever makes sense.
Go slow. Read, think and when the URL's come up, pick the one second from the bottom by clicking the right hand button next to to COPY it.

We now return to our regularly scheduled program.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
This took 90 seconds to load these two pics from my computer to here via copy/paste of both URL's from P.I. I was already signed in to postimage though. It knows my computer and doesn't make me sign in anymore.
Yes. 90 seconds flat not including this typing.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool. Now that you bought the one you wanted, what are the other five? :-)