New
Find
Notify
Tools

505 Gibbs on, CZ
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm showing some of the in progress highlights of this build. Now...gotta be honest...these CZ's are not the easiest choice. Certainly large enough and stout. The Gibbs is a big cartridge and takes up a lot of space.. and the working parts... well...there's lots of them that you must be careful not to lose, since they are plenty peculiar,

The most demanding part was to make the action hold three down with compression room to single load one in the spout. (Total of four) I give thanks and gratitude to Wayne Jacobsen

(Bitterroot) for the way he shared his experience with these actions. Without his help, I'd most likely still be pulling out what's left of my hair!

Will post more of this build soon

Posts: 3450 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Following along. What are the spec's you're aiming for?

Posts: 1422 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
11 1/4 lbs., full length stock.. Want to point out the large amount of metal removed from under the bridge and the extra large ejection port.

To gain room for these big rounds, CZ allowed the bolt to come back. much further than say...a 98....which is close the the same overall length

The rear of the round is therefore kind of buried and has to make it's way out a sort of tunnel to clear the action.

Some may note the longer ejector...this part was designed by Bitterroot and was the final touch that allowed reliable ejection

I first tried a similar approach by grinding the bolt stop shorter...worked, but not with authority of Bitterroot's part

For those of you longing to do a similar build, must also note that the Gibbs case has a much thicker rim...so thick that it won't fit under an unaltered extractor. It was touch and go with the original extractor...found a 98 with a thicker hook that gave adequate material.

As Wayne points out, the easier approach would be to machine back the bolt face a little...sort of split the difference. Jim Wisner has also; pointed out this technique in is writings about Enfields

There...jus told you everything I know...didn't take long, did it?

Posts: 3450 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're giving away all my secrets Wink

To all, if building something larger than a 416 Rigby case on the CZ 550 or BRNO 602, start with the 416 Rigby donor action. There are subtle differences between it and what CZ calls their "belted magnum" action (375 H&H, 458 Lott/Win Mag) It makes the job easier by far. Sometimes though we are stuck with what we have.

Posts: 1214 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Duane and Wayne. Looking forward to how this turns out!

Posts: 1422 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:
Thank you, Duane and Wayne. Looking forward to how this turns out!

I echo this.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
There were factory CZs in .505 Gibbs what I believe. Or am I wrong?

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The factory in the Czech Republic only produced chamberings in 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, 458 Win Mag, and 458 Lott as far as I'm aware. For the US market, all other calibers were put together using new receivers and aftermarket barrels at the CZ Custom Shop in Warsaw, Missouri. McGowan Precision Barrels made a lot of the aftermarket barrels for these chamberings, including the 505 Gibbs. As far as different chamberings made in other countries, I don't know.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21185 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, read down the CZ blurb that you linked to. Triple River Gunsmithing ( CZ Custom Shop) made the odd chamberings. Could that be considered "factory"? Maybe. I'm thinking of "factory" being in BRNO Czech Republic. Triple River made these rifles by either using new receivers or tearing down factory-new rifles that were made in BRNO then re-barrelling to the custom chamberings.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I believe you are correct. They were custom rifles that came from CZ. I just recalled that they offered them in a number of interesting chamberings. I thought about one in a .425 WR, always thought that would be pretty nice. It may have also been that shop that was doing the synthetic stocks for the Safari Magnums.

Mike

Posts: 21185 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Yes, you are right. It was probably not made here in Czech Rep.

But one thing:

Rifles here are for a long time made in Uhersky Brod city, not Brno. Brno is/was "trademark", but manufacturing of ZKK and later CZ 550 was in Uhersky Brod, since 1966 or so.

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...as far as I can go at this time. The rifle is to be engraved this coming Spring.. In the meantime, the client will '"wring it out" and develop loads.

The video of me shooting the rifle was sent to client to show the four round capacity...for which he paid extra. Lotsa recoil here!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool !!! 50 cal's and larger look great in full-length stocks.
It didn't rock you too bad. The first shot is always the worst, for me at least.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely beautiful. I have never seen a DG-caliber rifle with a full stock before. Really looks good!

What length is the barrel? It looks quite stubby.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you do anything to the magazine to reduce the battering on the nose of the cartridge while in recoil

Posts: 1610 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous!

You got used to the recoil.

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
Did you do anything to the magazine to reduce the battering on the nose of the cartridge while in recoil

Mag is JUST long enough for the cartridge (at any angle) There was no noticeable battering of the nose.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
Gorgeous!

You got used to the recoil.

I was a little surprised by the first sho1...which was a 600 gr instead of the 525 I've shot in it before ( Loaded to Same velocity)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!!! Thanks for sharing.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane I hope that I have half your fortitude when I am approaching your age.

Beautiful little hand cannon!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a number...?

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
That is one handsome "snotslinger"! Not sure I am brave enough to shoot it four times in a row without a bottle of Tylenol within easy reach...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool.....really enjoyed the action footage.
You are crazier than I thought.

Posts: 223 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stellar rifle. You handle the recoil of the .505 way better than I do!

Posts: 570 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_TX:
Pretty cool.....really enjoyed the action footage.
You are crazier than I thought.

That's the nicest thing you ever said to me..HAR!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love that forend bar attachment ala the old muzzle loaders..I have that on my 7x57. Its always been the "nice touch" IMO..What a nice rifle.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sweet , love the full stock , now your making me want to send you my CZ Lott

GMCS USN retired

Posts: 9 | Location: Middle Bama | Registered: 23 September 2022Reply With Quote