Notify
Tools

Reinhart Fajen
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Earl Smith:
No. Fred started his own company in 1992. Bishop was bought by Larry Potterfield in 1992 as well. Both names Reinhart Fajen and Bishop were under the same roof in Lincoln, MO by 1997 when I went to work there.

So does Potterfield currently own both names ?

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For the first time in 20 years 280 of the original patterns from Fajen and Bishop Gunstock companies are once again available, I was able to purchase them from a gentleman who was at the auction when the companies assets were sold. Mark Stratton Gunmaker helped me to arrange the purchase of them from his friend,who purchased them and built only a few stocks off of them. I am offering Duplication off the patterns through my company Manitou Custom Guns LLC. For more information and a list of the available pattern inlets please visit my website.

Manitoucustomguns.com

I hope I will be a great asset to the gunmaking community by offering these historical patterns to the trade and hobbiest alike.

Thanks,

Will Bohm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry owns both trade names, yes.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Larry no longer owns the trade names. Fajen and Bishop were owned by Larry under his battenfield technology brand, Larry sold battenfield technology to another company who sold it off to American outdoor brands corporation, the parent company of Smith and Wesson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, I spoke with Russell Potterfield this past weekend (son of Larry)..CEO Battenfeld (mother's maiden name) when it sold. The Fajen and Bishop names were not in that umbrella sale...or so he told me. There were several things that did not get sold under the contract. Russell is in China today (01-16-20) visiting the manufacturing plant they built under Battenfeld, INC. that makes fabric goods. That plant is now used for non-gun related industries and doing very well.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Manitoucustom:
For the first time in 20 years 280 of the original patterns from Fajen and Bishop Gunstock companies are once again available, I was able to purchase them from a gentleman who was at the auction when the companies assets were sold. Mark Stratton Gunmaker helped me to arrange the purchase of them from his friend,who purchased them and built only a few stocks off of them. I am offering Duplication off the patterns through my company Manitou Custom Guns LLC. For more information and a list of the available pattern inlets please visit my website.

Manitoucustomguns.com

I hope I will be a great asset to the gunmaking community by offering these historical patterns to the trade and hobbiest alike.

Thanks,

Will Bohm

Very cool!

~Ann

Posts: 19146 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Used a lot of Fajen stocks back when they were in business, but I don't miss any design they had.

Posts: 17092 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the scans of stock catalog, are those current prices?......LOL.

M

Posts: 1227 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Used a lot of Fajen stocks back when they were in business, but I don't miss any design they had.

I liked their Classic, it still had enough wood for final shaping. Their Mannlicher wasn't bad either after trimming it down and stretching the grip back some.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I also did that. Still have one here, actually. A Mannlicher, unfitted. Bought it, like decades ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel bad for my cousin, he's stuck with this Herters stock on his Hungarian Mannlicher rebarreled to 7x57. Looks like a 1950's stock!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a 1960's Fajen stock which has served me well through one rhino, three elephants and five Cape buffalo:

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, that Hungarian does look right out of 1955. Classic for sure.
Used to get a lot of stuff from Herters. Model Perfect everything.
First rifles I built were on Herters U9s and J9s; some Herters stocks and some Richards. I recall the finished barreled actions were something like $68.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
M1 Carbine. My dad bought the carbine for $19 from the DCM, sent it off to Herters in 1978 for bluing and drilled for B&L mounts (since replaced). I bought the stock from Fajen the same years and here we go. Got my first deer in 78 too.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Very interesting thread. Thanks for the read and info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
M1 Carbine. My dad bought the carbine for $19 from the DCM, sent it off to Herters in 1978 for bluing and drilled for B&L mounts (since replaced). I bought the stock from Fajen the same years and here we go. Got my first deer in 78 too.

Um, what did you dress the deer out with - Imperial light saber?

sofa