New
Find
Notify
Tools

More Evan K work
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Seeing Evan's work, I wanted to share the step by step stock that Evan did for me 5 or 6 yrs ago.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com...wthread.php?t=580905

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
The instant I saw the bolt knob engraving, I knew it had to be the work of the late Tommy Kaye! He called it Pineapple style and gave the same treatment to a pair of rifles he did for me. He was a great artist!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
The instant I saw the bolt knob engraving, I knew it had to be the work of the late Tommy Kaye! He called it Pineapple style and gave the same treatment to a pair of rifles he did for me. He was a great artist!

Tommy was a pistol. My BIL and I visited him at his wife's ranch. A friend of mine, Jay Lynn Gore, worked with Tommy several years ago at a Saddle Shop. Jay Lyn is known as one of the best leather tooling making guys around. He gave me one of his tools to give Tommy. Tommy told me in a very dry way to tell Jay Lynn that he would rework it and send it back to Jay Lynn. We had a lot of fun with that.
Tommy did my 416 Rigby mod17 that James Anderson built for me.
Tommy and his wife moved back to Tommy's place north of Houston after their Daughter died to raise their Grand Daughter. Their son in law worked off shore and needed help.
Tommy had a lot of beautiful mod 70s.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Thanks Butch! Here's some more pics of your 40X. This Australian stuff is still the most dense and hard walnut I've worked on yet. 24 lpi checkering. Hardware includes a pre-64 M70 buttplate, Rem ADL trigger guard, Fisher single screw grip cap. The ebony escutcheon over the front takedown screw is a detail easily missed.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Zeke

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Now that's a .22LR for the ages! Excellent work.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An outstanding example of artistry in wood and metal.

Semper Fi

Posts: 684 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

As I've said before.....stunning 40X 22LR!!

But.....who boogered-up the action screws??!!

Get'em fixed!! Smiler

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Gullette:
Butch,

Get'em fixed!! Smiler

Kevin

I noticed them also.

Semper Fi

Posts: 684 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
That's some outstanding work, Evan!

Did you do the photography to?

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Gullette:
Butch,

Get'em fixed!! Smiler

Kevin

Kevin, I've never shot it or checked the screws as I've not fooled with them.
On another thought, it has one of the 3 produced internally adjustable scope. It is a 30X. I also have the prototype that came from Mike Walker's estate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

Humble bragging about the Mike Walker scopes is not fair. Smiler

Gonna have to go fondle my old 40-X Sporter.

Still.....a nice rifle.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kevin, I had 4 of the external adjustable scopes that the Remington Custom shop sold for the 40X rimfire and the BR cartridges. I was able to get them from Jim Stekl who worked with Mike in the custom shop. They operated like the old Unertl scopes, but mounted on the receiver instead of the barrel. When Jim Carmichel asked I wanted the 30X internal adj scope and also the prototype, You know that I said yes. I sold the other scopes. Jim helped sell Mike's gun and gun related items. I have 2 of his small reloading presses that he made from Remington receivers. One is set up for the 222 size cases and the other for the BR cases.